Highfield Rd 1969/70 (1 Viewer)

cloughie

Lovely memories as a kid it was amazing that we were playing and beat the likes of George Best Bobby Charlton at their peak

No wonder with memories like that how we are still supporting today,
So sad for the younger ones, never to have experienced such heights

I'm off 'Lets all sing together.....

joemercersaces

Photos from The Coventry City Football Book by CET journalist Derek Henderson aka 'Nimmo', my Xmas present in 1970 (along with an orange and a lump of coal to suck on)

ovduk78

Didn't they have disabled cars parked down one side of the pitch and which side were they on and when was this?

joemercersaces

My first match was either the Hibernian friendly or home to Burnley. 1969 anyway and I was six! Loved the club, the players, the kit, the fans, the ground.

Started on the Spion Kop with a box to stand on. Used to long to go in the West End but didn't dare till I was about ten. Grew up in the West End. That terrace really was a mixture of excitement and fear!

joemercersaces

It was said the turnstile tile counter was switched off around 2.45 every home game

Given that you could either go over or under the turnstile quite easily and cash was involved there was a bit of a three way win. The club could pocket tax free cash,as could the gateman, whilst intimidating fans or those with little kids could save a few shillings. I think it was two shillings to go on the Kop and 2/6 for the West End where you could stay dry but run the risk of getting your head kicked in.

I remember one evening match against Man City when we were packed like sardines and the whole crowd laughing when they announced a gate of 19,000

Captain Dart

Has anyone got a picture showing the tea vendors walking round the pitch side? :emoji_coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread