Heartfelt message to those going to Sixfields (1 Viewer)

sky_blue_up_north

Maybe some people can't go to all away games?

I thought all our 'home' games were away.... :slap:

njdlawyer

So if the players have no loyalty then why did anybody bother at the Ricoh?

Some people just want to go and watch their team on a Saturday.

The real point is that, maybe not now, but in a few weeks or months or next year those people will no more be watching "our / their" team than a Wimbledon fan would be watching his / her team at Milton Keynes

Nonleagueherewecome

Maybe some people can't go to all away games?

Maybe some people can't make any of the "home" game any more?

Nonleagueherewecome

FFS we live in a democracy, people have the freedom to choose what they want to do.
People going to Sixfields arent breaking the law leave the poor fuckers alone.
By all means protest and keep the plight of our club in the press etc but our actions cannot be forced upon anyone they either get it or they dont.

In a Democracy, it is legitimate to campaign and argue to persuade others to change their mind.

Nonleagueherewecome

Does that involve calling them scabs, sisu rent boys, and accusations that they are helping to kill the club?

Not the name-calling, no, but arguing that they are irredeemably damaging the club is perfectly legitimate. "Accusations" being your righteously indignant interpretation of that.

thaiskyblue

I can't understand the need for certain posters to continue pushing this message of stay away from Northampton. People will mkake up there own decisions and will have reasons to justify that which I respect.

However personally I met a few members of the Coventry City London Supporters Club (CCLSC) on the train to Crawley for the first game of the season, they all seemed nice enough blokes and I took a card from one of the chaps about getting in touch, but then I saw the same chap on the piece, on Sky Sports News on Sunday where two fans had to be seperated because of what they felt was right regarding playing at Northampton. Since I saw this I haven't contacted the CCLSC and don't plan too, every fan has an opinion and right to their own, not everyone will agree with their decisions, but you have to respect them.

It has to be said I see the fixtures and sometimes I consider wther I should go to Northampton or not and I have so many reasons why and why not to go, it's a difficult decision for every fan and matters don't need to be made worse by heated arguements about the topic.
you don't say if they were going in, or boycotting.

RoboCCFC90

you don't say if they were going in, or boycotting.

Well it never showed if particular chap ever went in, but the lad from CCLSC was telling fans not to go into Northampton and boycott from what I saw on SSN.

Paxman II

While I respect all sides of this argument I think this board is not the place to continually brow beat other members with your constant view. You do what ever you decide for you and your conscience.

For what it's worth my own opinion is that my team are playing their fixtures and I will support them when I can where ever that be and allow all this protracted mess with the owners of the football club to draw to it's own conclusion.

davebart

The move out of Coventry is irrelevant to me and thousands of other supporters. many many fans already travelled well over 34 miles to see THEIR team play.For a lot of us Sixfields is nearer than we usually travel.

The move out of Coventry is a distraction.

If people do not see that SISU are systematically sucking the lifeblood out of the club then they are just as much entitled to go to sixfields as they were to the Ricoh when exactly the same conditions prevailed.

davebart

The move out of Coventry is irrelevant to me and thousands of other supporters.

Really??????

I haven't lived in Coventry for 38 years. Travelling to HR or Ricoh has involved a 200m round trip. I travelled that far because I was a CCFC supporter. Most of the so called 'real' supporters on here only want to follow the team in Coventry, apparently.

mrbluesky87

I haven't lived in Coventry for 38 years. Travelling to HR or Ricoh has involved a 200m round trip. I travelled that far because I was a CCFC supporter. Most of the so called 'real' supporters on here only want to follow the team in Coventry, apparently.

Correct, me included. I live 1 mile away from the Ricoh so why on Gods earth should I drive 70 miles each time to watch home games. Also lets remember, you moved out of Coventry for whatever reason so thats your choice and if I moved out of Coventry I would probably do the same and not think twice however the club moved from me, not the other way round.

I also dont understand the its irrelevant to thousands of supporters??? Given the attendance on Sunday I would say its only irrelevant to around 900 supporters.

Ashdown1

I'm not going to go to Sixfields purely on my stance against the hated hedge fund, I'm not going either because it's a second rate shithole in the middle of nowhere. That will all become apparent to those that take in a few games when the winter sets in and there are 92 away fans in the opposite cowshed !!

AndreasB

piss off mate, you have a completely blinkered view, one of the most vehemently anti sisu, one sided people on here. You would be the last person to take a level headed approach to this issue.Who gives you the right to patronise other fans and pretend to understand the reasons people might choose to go.

njdlawyer

I understand and sympathise completely - but despite matters off the pitch I'd be the first to complain if we lose all our decent players and don't buy anyone else because we don't have the money. I also don't want the club in so much debt that potential investers don't want to make an offer - so I see both sides of the argument. We're trapped in the middle of these two arguments until someone from either ACL or Sisu does the right thing. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one - but in the meantime I'm sticking with my support for the players on the pitch - you're right, history proves that they would move on given a better opportunity or that they'd be sold anyway, but I always sang 'city 'til I die' on the terrace, not 'city until I hate the owners of the club and the owners of the stadium and we have to temporarily play in Northampton' so I won't turn my back on the only ones in this whole debacle doing the right thing.

So what exactly is "the right thing" for ACL to do? Let SISU have the ground rent free? Let them have the lease for nothing?

In response to Nick's query of course there is no 100% guarantee that NOPM or boycotting "home" games will work but common sense and logic sayss that it must. SISU are a company with investors and a duty to those investors. They also rely on attracting new business (investors) by demonstrating that they will secure good return for any potential new customers. They have made a loss for the last two years (thats SISU not CCFC Holdings or whatever) and it is perfectly reasonable to surmise that increased / increasing / spiralling losses will not be good for their long term business prospects particularly as recouping or defraying those losses looks to be almost impossible - or being charitable not something that can be achieved any time soon. It may not be the best example but Costa pretty quickly changed their tax policies when bad publicity threatened their footfall and they are much much bigger than SISU and much more able to withstand reductions in income

So yes boycotts, NOPM etc can work, though no-one can say that they will. Whats the alternative? Roll up at Sixfields for the next 3-5 years in the hope that an organisation that has not always shown itself to be willing to come through on promises will build the great new stadium? An eventuality that the FL themselves, having been apparently privy to all relevant information, cannot say will happen

Nonleagueherewecome

chiefdave

I haven't lived in Coventry since 1992, I travel 162 miles each way to the Ricoh, Sixfields is closer. Last Sunday I was not at Sixfields I was at the Ricoh and I won't be at Sixfields for any other games. If the location is insignificant can we just start moving teams all over the place? Lets move Man Utd to the Ricoh, would probably draw a decent crowd.

Stafford_SkBlue

If supporters want to boycott thatstheir right.
But they have no right to force it onto others.
The main effect will be the players will have to leave.
It will not force sisu out, who continue to invest in the side.

Nick

Administrator
It is a bit like religion, you can do whatever you want but just don't preach and force it on others.

ohitsaidwalker king power

It is a bit like religion, you can do whatever you want but just don't preach and force it on others.

Is that not like turkeys voting for Christmas Nick?- (as the forum Mod.)
I agree- forcing views isn't acceptable- but what else is a forum for if not to debate and express opinion. Agree also that each and every one of us has the right to go to Sixfield. For me its ethically not acceptable to go any longer whilst in Northampton- my choice and not an easy one after 35 consecutive years support, also not one that instantly I was aligned with. But it is also our right to demonstrate(peacefully) and to try to convince others of an alternate view, as I was by certain events and other fellow Sky Blue's reading through forums such as this?

Nick

Administrator
Is that like turkeys voting for Christmas Nick?- (as the forum Mod.)
I agree- forcing views isn't acceptable- but what else is a forum for if not to debate and express opinion. Agree also that each and every one of us has the right to go to Sixfield. For me its wrong- my choice and not an easy one after 35 years support, also not one that instantly I was aligned with. But it is also our right to demonstrate(peacefully) and to try to convince others of an alternate view, as I was by certain events and other fellow Sky Blue's reading through forums such as this?

Of course it is ok to discuss it, I just meant forcing it on others as in having a go if they don't agree :)

Of course it is ok to discuss it, I just meant forcing it on others as in having a go if they don't agree :)

Its a fine line and a mark that some overstep, on some occasions- but its an emotional time- this isn't easy for any of us.
I'm sure irrespective of which camp one sits- none of us actually want to go to Northampton

skybluericoh

So if the players have no loyalty then why did anybody bother at the Ricoh?

Some people just want to go and watch their team on a Saturday.

they turned up because they have a loyalty in as much as they know that they have made a living through some part at Coventry

Jackoskyblue

"What is a club in any case?
Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.
It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.
It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love."
Sir Bobby Robson

That's why you should not go to Northampton "pride in YOUR city" Coventry City Fc are Represent Coventry not Northampton

I understand and sympathise completely - but despite matters off the pitch I'd be the first to complain if we lose all our decent players and don't buy anyone else because we don't have the money. I also don't want the club in so much debt that potential investers don't want to make an offer - so I see both sides of the argument. We're trapped in the middle of these two arguments until someone from either ACL or Sisu does the right thing. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one - but in the meantime I'm sticking with my support for the players on the pitch - you're right, history proves that they would move on given a better opportunity or that they'd be sold anyway, but I always sang 'city 'til I die' on the terrace, not 'city until I hate the owners of the club and the owners of the stadium and we have to temporarily play in Northampton' so I won't turn my back on the only ones in this whole debacle doing the right thing.

If the club is in so much debt no one wants us its because of SISU.....Not a finger pointing exercise, but they can't blame anybody else. Nobody else has been in control of club finances, nobody else has refused to pay rent and leave the city, and by supporting the team right now, you validate their excuses. IF (and its a big IF) they build a new stadium, where is that money coming from? Fisher himself said that 60% would come from loans (more like 99% if you look at the Otium books.

davebart

I haven't lived in Coventry since 1992, I travel 162 miles each way to the Ricoh, Sixfields is closer. Last Sunday I was not at Sixfields I was at the Ricoh and I won't be at Sixfields for any other games. If the location is insignificant can we just start moving teams all over the place? Lets move Man Utd to the Ricoh, would probably draw a decent crowd.

I agree that clubs should NOT move grounds.

But I do despair that the reason there is a sudden change of stance towards the way the club is run by some people is because the club is moving from Coventry - and that as a consequence they are now urging others not to attend matches - when they have been quite happy to attend the Ricoh for the last five years.

as an aside there are probably quite a number of people who support CCFC despite never having lived in coventry.

But I do despair that the reason there is a sudden change of stance towards the way the club is run by some people is because the club is moving from Coventry - and that as a consequence they are now urging others not to attend matches - when they have been quite happy to attend the Ricoh for the last five years.

as an aside there are probably quite a number of people who support CCFC despite never having lived in coventry.

Can you clarify- not sure as I understand the points you make?

"But I do despair that the reason there is a sudden change of stance towards the way the club is run by some people is because the club is moving from Coventry - and that as a consequence they are now urging others not to attend matches - when they have been quite happy to attend the Ricoh for the last five years."------------ The Club has systematically been eroded in the last 5 years by SISU- I, like many, hoped for better on their arrival- ultimately they have taken the football club out of the City-when a stadia exists more than fit for purpose- the final straw- a game changer for me.

"as an aside there are probably quite a number of people who support CCFC despite never having lived in Coventry." ----------I have never lived in Coventry- but have had a season ticket for 35 years (Not this year). I worked in Coventry for many years until the factory closed- I'm not sure what your point is TBH- can you expand?

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Can't we have threads without pissing contests over who's more of a real fan?

But where else can I go for the validation off internet strangers to enable my own smugness over a situation that deep down I know very little about?

"Post likes" make me erect.

davebart

Can you clarify- not sure as I understand the points you make?

On the final straw point. My final straw was long long ago, but I have never urged others not to attend. That is up to them and you try win people over by the power of argument. If the argument doesn't work then you have to accept that they just have a different opinion.

The point regarding not living in coventry is that my brother-in-law and his sons support coventry but were born and bred in cornwall. they have no affinity to coventry or its people, so what relevance does the location of the ground have for them? I am sure there are lots more people like this. For these people playing at sixfields makes no difference.

On the final straw point. My final straw was long long ago, but I have never urged others not to attend. That is up to them and you try win people over by the power of argument. If the argument doesn't work then you have to accept that they just have a different opinion.

The point regarding not living in coventry is that my brother-in-law and his sons support coventry but were born and bred in cornwall. they have no affinity to coventry or its people, so what relevance does the location of the ground have for them? I am sure there are lots more people like this. For these people playing at sixfields makes no difference.

Thanks for the clarification- but fundamentally disagree with your argument about ground location not being important based on residency of supporter I'm afraid.

thaiskyblue

Sudden change ? where have you been lala land ?

Users who are viewing this thread