Head of Recruitment Interview (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

I think the transfer strategy is spot on. We’ve moved on players who haven’t fitted in with relative ease, we’ve signed young players with potential and allowed them time and space to grow, and we generally have a balanced squad with not many real holes in it.

shmmeee

I think you are right about SISU although their better record is a bit "Robins dependent" they have made 9 managerial appointments iirc, of which only Robins x 2 and Mowbray x 50% have worked

I think you’ve got to see Championship Sisu and L1/2 Sisu as two different beasts.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’d be surprised at that. Have you got a link?

The reason ML is needed in go is because the potential futures are too large to model in time. I’m not sure I’d see where the “intuition” is in chess, don’t know the game that wel though so would be interested to read about it.

The leap between Go and football is huge though is my point. You can’t even accurately model the state of the pitch at any given second let along predict possible futures for action planning.

I’ve been playing chess for 20 years. Brute force software is nearly flawless at spotting tactical mistakes but is less good at making long term strategic decisions.

Look up the success of AlphaZero and Leela Chess for more detail. A book has just been published on it

Brighton Sky Blue

You would be surprised where they are at the moment. One thing that needs to be remembered in all this is the future use of this technology, and the impartiality of the commentary around this. It's a huge developing market, and if you scratch below the surface, all is not quite like what it seems.

The engine that takes the prize, for me at the moment, is Houdini. It plays in a romantic style which is counter-intuitive for a good many engines to understand.

It's not the strongest engine, on the way it is set up. The way it is set up though is what makes it interesting.

It is not your usual chess engine.

Houdini Chess Engine

Yup well acquainted with the lot

stupot07

Really good article. We've done excellent business over the last few transfer windows, so you can really see there's a mediaum to long term plan there now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Really good article. We've done excellent business over the last few transfer windows, so you can really see there's a mediaum to long term plan there now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Think Mowbray tried something similar but gambled it all on players above our station

shmmeee

I’ve been playing chess for 20 years. Brute force software is nearly flawless at spotting tactical mistakes but is less good at making long term strategic decisions.

Look up the success of AlphaZero and Leela Chess for more detail. A book has just been published on it

I will. Cheers.

Hullinho87

Would love to know the details if you’ve got anything you’re allowed to share.

Can’t tell you too much mate, mainly because the season is in flow and in a critical position (including a big win today).

The 2 clubs I have done consultation for are in League 2.

My career is in data analysis so I have effectively created a formula that links qualitative and quantitative data that can compare and contrast player attributes .. and can be aligned to particular styles of play/formations/coaching approaches and also uses video analysis.

The club I am doing it full time at have ex Premier League players in charge so it’s a good place to be working this process in a tangiable way at a club that wants to be progressive.

Philosorapter

Can’t tell you too much mate, mainly because the season is in flow and in a critical position (including a big win today).

The 2 clubs I have done consultation for are in League 2.

My career is in data analysis so I have effectively created a formula that links qualitative and quantitative data that can compare and contrast player attributes .. and can be aligned to particular styles of play/formations/coaching approaches and also uses video analysis.

The club I am doing it full time at have ex Premier League players in charge so it’s a good place to be working this process in a tangiable way at a club that wants to be progressive.

Interesting.

Surely the attributes of the players determine the formation you have, and the playing style which is used.

To quote someone.

"The pawns, being much more stationary then the pieces, are an element of the structure of the position. The way the array of the pawns are placed determines the character of position and also the plan associated with it."

This is the central tenet to the classical style of play in positional chess.

Surely football analytics is moulded in a way that is similar to this?

Last edited:

Philosorapter

Just if anyone's interested, I have shown a bit already on this website of what's available on Chessbase but I have always been a fan of the Ubisoft version, which is the original one, and also the one the chess community created.

Here's something I put on the internet a good few years back to show what this stuff can do.

The game is between two players who have been involved in the local chess league in Coventry.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just if anyone's interested, I have shown a bit already on this website of what's available on Chessbase but I have always been a fan of the Ubisoft version, which is the original one, and also the one the chess community created.

Here's something I put on the internet a good few years back to show what this stuff can do.

The game is between two players who have been involved in the local chess league in Coventry.

Should have a game some time but probably not on a football forum

Users who are viewing this thread