He Went In His Sleep (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Sorry for being a bit morbid here but a friend of mine passed away recently aged 53 in his sleep.
A few of us were talking in the pub about him when somebody said best way to go at least he never suffered. Yet he never got a chance to say goodbye to his family and mates,and his girlfriend is in bits over it. Like all of us he was a football nut and we were talking about the World Cup the other week and he was looking forward to it. So was it the best way to go ?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
That's the way I want to go.

Houchens Head

My old man came in from work in 1971. He went into the kitchen to make a cuppa and went down on the floor. Heart attack. He was only 54. My older brother went a similar way. He was just 50. My other brother's in a wheelchair after a massive stroke. I've had three HA's but I'm in my 60's now. Every day's a bonus for me!

Otis

That's the way I want to go.

Yes definitely. In my sleep.

My uncle died of lung cancer screaming in absolute constant agony non stop for weeks on end. The less I know about it happening the better for me.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

My old man came in from work in 1971. He went into the kitchen to make a cuppa and went down on the floor. Heart attack. He was only 54. My older brother went a similar way. He was just 50. My other brother's in a wheelchair after a massive stroke. I've had three HA's but I'm in my 60's now. Every day's a bonus for me!
Yep let's make each day count. Dad died of cancer and mum nursed him for a year at home. Nice to say goodbye slowly but the pain he went through not, just physically, was hard to see

bringbackrattles

My mum went at 62 from a brain aneurysm, my baby son just a few days old,and my dad at 76 from cancer.
I'm 60 so just grateful I'm able to work outdoors and be in decent health. But whatever the best way to go we all are going to go one day.

Houchens Head

I also lost a son aged a week, BBR. He contracted diabetes through my (then) missus. That was in 1977. He's buried at London Rd children's plots.

bringbackrattles

I also lost a son aged a week, BBR. He contracted diabetes through my (then) missus. That was in 1977. He's buried at London Rd children's plots.
Sorry to hear that Houch. My boy died in Walsgrave hospital 28 years ago lung infection.My ex missus screamed the ward down in grief so it was a bad time.

Flying Fokker

I'll take a heart attack in my sleep pls. It is always about the people you leave behind. How they cope and move on.

skybluetony176

Unfortunately none of us choose when or how we go. I have 2 scenarios I wouldn't mind if we had some choice. If I'm going to go young (by today's standards) I would like to be 65 and competing in the IOM TT or doing a parachute jump and the chute fails, something exciting like that. Preferably though I would like to reach 100 still have my memories and be able to look back on a century of my life before going peacefully in my sleep.

Johnnythespider

My dad went to bed one night and died of a heart attack in his sleep, only 49, having watched my mum die of cancer in 2012 it doesn't make it any easier being able to say goodbye, so in your sleep I would say is the best any of us can hope for, those who are left behind will grieve either way.

Sky_Blue_Daz

My uncle died in his sleep 5 years ago, he went to mass christmas eve with his wife seen his sons and grandkids went for a couple of pints withhis mate.
Had a heart attack in his sleep, everyone said it was a lovely way to go, which I suppose it is.But I felt sorry for the grandkids who lost their grandad Christmas morning.

wingy

Yes he had a massive heart attack in his sleep but when he was found he was all snug in his bed looking peaceful and no pain on his face.

Just like my dad and like my Bro says elsewhere In the thread ,Best way without doubt If you have to go .

Does Induce an element of Shock for those left behind , which has to be dealt with and can be problematic In the younger generation,but to be for warned Is'nt necessarily to be Trauma or problem free .

bringbackrattles

My mate who passed away was 53 but his dad is 81. My mum never drank just had a fag now and then but died at 62,my dad who was a drinker and heavy smoker went aged 76.I reckon it's a lottery in the end.Someone goes running and to the gym drops down dead in his thirties,but the bloke goes to the pub everynight and smokes like a chimney goes in his eighties.

LastGarrison

I'd like to go whilst having a threesome with two hookers in Vegas, whilst snorting cocaine and drinking copious amounts of champagne at the ripe old age of 90!

But hey, that's just me.

Obviously i'd prefer not to die at all, but they dont give you that choice. So i think i'd like to go in my sleep if i live past 55, or in some dangerous flamboyant style if i die young (what can i say? Im 18, im still a little crazy). Sorry about your loss pal

ohitsaidwalker king power

Condolences to all those whom grieve.

My late father used to say to me. "There is something to be said for 'going quick' Jim" as he called it whenever one of his friends or colleagues passed on.
Sadly for him, this gregarious man descended to his death via a slow lingering succession of strokes, dementia and other ailments akin to 'locked in' syndrome rendering his proud soul unable to undertake the most basic of human tasks for the last 3 years of his life, communication via eye movements only left us guessing.
His words.." There is something to be said for going quick Jim" with me every time I visited

'Going quick' .?......gets my vote.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'm embarrassed to say that just reading this thread has brought me to tears....I'm a worldly wise grizzly 42 year old bloke but grief is a funny old thing & even though you think you've worked through it...random things like songs on the radio or threads on a football forum prove otherwise.

I lost my beautiful baby daughter a few years ago.....I had a chance to say goodbye as the hospital unplugged her & allowed me to cuddle her while she died in my arms.

My Dad developed early on-set alzheimers at 59....hes still alive now at 70....but he doesn't know where or who he is, he a double-incontinent cabbage in a wheel chair & every time I visit I wish I had the balls to smother him with a pillow....

...so going peacefully asleep in bed would be the best way to go IMO.

Thanks for this bit of therapy.....

...Threads like this should also make everyone on here realise that football is irrelevant, it should always be viewed as a simple & pleasant distraction....as it actually means fuck all.

Sky Blue Pete

Don't be embarrassed I am the same age and felt tearful reading and thinking bout my dad from 6 years ago and he was 69.

Grief is strange in how it catches up

Sky_Blue_Daz

I'd like to go whilst having a threesome with two hookers in Vegas, whilst snorting cocaine and drinking copious amounts of champagne at the ripe old age of 90!

But hey, that's just me.

bringbackrattles

That might be sudden death syndrome

PUSB
You could be right but it was a heart attack.His girlfriend said he was complaining of pains in his chest etc. We were chatting only a few weeks ago about the City and the World Cup,he was a Man United fan so he'll be burning in Hell then !

Houchens Head

Heart attacks are painful...... I know - I've had three of the buggers!

SkyblueBazza

You could be right but it was a heart attack.His girlfriend said he was complaining of pains in his chest etc. We were chatting only a few weeks ago about the City and the World Cup,he was a Man United fan so he'll be burning in Hell then !

I'm pretty sure that upon death every sinew relaxes so expression is never an indicator. The medical profession just say stuff like that to make us feel a bit better (sorry if that shatters anyone's illusions :-/ )

PUSB

bringbackrattles

I'm pretty sure that upon death every sinew relaxes so expression is never an indicator. The medical profession just say stuff like that to make us feel a bit better (sorry if that shatters anyone's illusions :-/ )

PUSB
Let's all hope we can all talk about how we passed away one day ? But I still don't want to go to the afterlife alongside Villa fans !

Hugh Jarse

I strongly believe that when your number comes up, it don't matter if you are skydiving or sitting with a cuppa and a bourbon, your time is up!

Gotta be honest I don't think too much about it, it's only when I read threads like this.

Keep ya peckers up boys!:claping hands:

ccfc92

As a 21 year old, I like to dismiss "Death", but it would be nice to know what to expect.

I'd like to think there's more to life after death, but would be satisfied with nothing more.

It's more who I leave behind that I'm more concerned about, plus what I'll miss!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread