Has your opinion of Birmingham changed? (1 Viewer)

Stan_Drews

Afternoon all

Just having a good read through the posts and am I right in thinking a lot of Cov people have changed their opinion on Birmingham as a place since the ground share?

Hard to disagree that, although very much the second option to playing in Cov, it has been a successful share especially the home form.

Having worked and studied in Cov I’m more than aware of the banter out there and love it to be honest.

Anyway was just wondering and yes I know I’m a brummie c*** so you don’t have to remind me;)

Walsgrave

Afternoon all

Just having a good read through the posts and am I right in thinking a lot of Cov people have changed their opinion on Birmingham as a place since the ground share?

Hard to disagree that, although very much the second option to playing in Cov, it has been a successful share especially the home form.

Having worked and studied in Cov I’m more than aware of the banter out there and love it to be honest.

Anyway was just wondering and yes I know I’m a brummie c*** so you don’t have to remind me;)
I think much of the relative fondness for Brum stems from the fact that things have gone well (i.e. if things had gone badly or we had not been promoted, I imagine there would be somewhat an indifference towards playing at St Andrews).

Also because the pitch suited our play, whereas the sharing a ground with a Rugby Union team is always going to end up as a disaster for a side that likes to play passing football.

Moreover, I think St Andrews, with a smaller capacity, felt much more like a typical ground, as compared with the sparse RICOH Arena.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I think much of the relative fondness for Brum stems from the fact that things have gone well (i.e. if things had gone badly or we had not been promoted, I imagine there would be somewhat an indifference towards playing at St Andrews).

Also because the pitch suited our play, whereas the sharing a ground with a Rugby Union team is always going to end up as a disaster for a side that likes to play passing football.

Moreover, I think St Andrews, with a smaller capacity, felt much more like a typical ground, as compared with the sparse RICOH Arena.
I dunno we were relatively successful at Northampton - the form was good If I recall. But it was widely despised.

The promotion helped, but given the locale of the stadium in relation to the town centre it’s just a decent day out.

I’d say broad street to St. Andrews is a better experience than the bull and anchor to the Ricoh

lifeskyblue

Haha. To be honest have loved the Brum experience....winning the league might well have a lot to do with that. Not sure if we had been fighting relegation I would be so enamoured. Enjoyed the home/away cup ties as that provided a unique experience and both games closely contested. I have found all the staff associated with BCFC to be friendly and helpful.
Of course we should be in Cov and I really want that to happen sooner rather than later...But until that happens I happy to be tenants of yours...better that than Northampton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_monkey

I dunno we were relatively successful at Northampton - the form was good If I recall. But it was widely despised.

The promotion helped, but given the locale of the stadium in relation to the town centre it’s just a decent day out.

I’d say broad street to St. Andrews is a better experience than the bull and anchor to the Ricoh

Also the reasons for us being in Brum are also very different to the reasons for us being in Northampton which is the main reason I think why people are more accepting of it

Joy Division

I really like the ground as a traditional old school kind of feel, at least as an away fan. As well as we did last season it's never going to feel quite right playing home games in a ground that's mostly closed off and for me it never did throughout the season.

Birmingham as a place I really like, quite unfairly maligned in the media for years mostly by people who've never been or at least not visited in the past 20 years. Last season I really enjoyed having some pre and post match beers around Digbeth.

Walsgrave

Agree with you about the proximity to the city centre. It made Saturdays feel like a day where people could take to the town and watch, before taking to the town again after celebrating a hard fought victory, whereas at the RICOH you just have a shopping park, and Sixfields is similar to the RICOH.

If City had been in and amongst the top few teams in League One towards the end of the 2013/14 season then I reckon interest would have ramped up, although not to the extent that it did last season. But we kind of tailed off like we usually did during our first few seasons in League One. A great start despite the points deduction, and then lethargic towards the end, especially after Leon Clarke left.

If I remember rightly, in the 2013/14 season, when the City were doing well, a lot of people chose to do 'away days', with the idea being that since they had t travel so far to Northampton, they might as well just attend the big away days. Which is why there were bumper crowds at the Wolves and MK Dons away games.

Evo1883

Afternoon all

Still feel the same about Birmingham... No change... It's fine enough I suppose.

In terms of Birmingham City, I appreciate the groundshare and will probably always be grateful for that... I don't mind the blues, prefer them to villa and Leicester

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Agree with you about the proximity to the city centre. It made Saturdays feel like a day where people could take to the town and watch, before taking to the town again after celebrating a hard fought victory, whereas at the RICOH you just have a shopping park, and Sixfields is similar to the RICOH.

If City had been in and amongst the top few teams in League One towards the end of the 2013/14 season then I reckon interest would have ramped up, although not to the extent that it did last season. But we kind of tailed off like we usually did during our first few seasons in League One. A great start despite the points deduction, and then lethargic towards the end, especially after Leon Clarke left.

If I remember rightly, in the 2013/14 season, when the City were doing well, a lot of people chose to do 'away days', with the idea being that since they had t travel so far to Northampton, they might as well just attend the big away days. Which is why there were bumper crowds at the Wolves and MK Dons away games.
Yeah was a weird season that. I didn’t go Northampton. As another poster said - reasons were different. I was fully prepared for the consequences of the boycott. Luckily we were presently surprised.

I mean ultimately we need yto come back to Coventry. Id like a bar area in the vicinity so we can make a day of it.

wasn’t the land across from the Ricoh earmarked for a canal side type leisure area?

Hadji's_Goatee

I like the ground, the match experience, the travel is nay bother, especially when we did so well. Feel sorry for the fans who decided to miss out.

Robins said before the season started last year that we shouldn't underestimate what playing on a well kept pitch all season could do for us – and boy did we underestimate it.

So yeah, again not fussed about going back.

For me the trade-off for potentially bigger crowds at the Ricoh and more money for things off the pitch don't come before getting things right on the pitch, and the TrillionTrophy TickaTacka Two Tone lawn is certainly a cut above the pig swill that is the dirty insect patch.

Never disliked the place! Living in Tamworth it’s the closest ‘Big’ place for a night out for me and it’s a quality night out and I feel a whole lot safer there on a night out than I do in Cov

St Andrew’s is a proper ground with some good pubs en-route from New St which has made the experience of going somewhat bearable

Never really had a problem with The Blues either, only really whenever we‘ve played them, all my mums side are Blues so don’t mind them doing well

Stan_Drews

Pleasantly surprised for two reasons. One, I thought we were potless but Karanka wouldn’t have come unless there was some dough which is encouraging. Two, Karanka is reputedly the sort of guy who will stand up to the owners and won’t take shit. Vitally important as Dong the Wrong the front man seems to think he picks the team and also has an outside chance of playing as he turns up for training each day in full kit. I kid you not.

As far as how we’ll get on Im much too long in the tooth to be optimistic and always fear the worst. 21st probably.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Pleasantly surprised for two reasons. One, I thought we were potless but Karanka wouldn’t have come unless there was some dough which is encouraging. Two, Karanka is reputedly the sort of guy who will stand up to the owners and won’t take shit. Vitally important as Dong the Wrong the front man seems to think he picks the team and also has an outside chance of playing as he turns up for training each day in full kit. I kid you not.

As far as how we’ll get on Im much too long in the tooth to be optimistic and always fear the worst. 21st probably.
Has he got a squad number?

Walsgrave

Yeah was a weird season that. I didn’t go Northampton. As another poster said - reasons were different. I was fully prepared for the consequences of the boycott. Luckily we were presently surprised.

I mean ultimately we need yto come back to Coventry. Id like a bar area in the vicinity so we can make a day of it.

wasn’t the land across from the Ricoh earmarked for a canal side type leisure area?
I think there was talk about something going on up Prologis Park. We definitely need to be back in Coventry. It's unfortunate that nowhere close to the city centre seems to match all of the criteria (planning permission included), which is a shame. Still, I think Warwick University way would provide a better experience than Longford!

Mcbean

will put my tin hat on but with the sale of tickets at Brum the stand was generally packed with positive people and in general there was no moaning and very little Sisu out which was tiring at the Ricoh with the performance of the team and the improvement of communication between the club and the fans- i would like us to be back in Coventry as soon as possible but will be supporting the team at Brum PUSB cant wait - Fkin virus

Moff

Got friends who are Blue Noses, we have understood each others pain over the years, and equally been as sick of listening to the Whining Villa fans.

As much as I want us home we have been looked after, and obviously experienced success in Birmingham, and personally have always liked the Blues and the City itself.....well apart from Aston!

olderskyblue

I have always had a soft spot for Birmingham.

Always rated Trevor Francis and won Bob Latchford's signed shirt.

My old boss, Jeff, was a bluenose. Maybe you know him.

Dislike Francis since he stitched us up over Peter Atherton.

BornSlippySkyBlue

It’s not changed my opinion cos I’ve lived here for 20 years. For me personally it’s great, gives me the option of going to a few decent pubs before the match (although having an 11 year old in tow kind of stops that), takes me 20 minutes to get there and it has an actual, grass pitch.

Birmingham’s a great place to live in fairness, all of the facilities of a major city with none of the pretentiousness of London. Traffic’s a bitch and the council are incompetent, so feels just like Coventry.

Also met my wife in the Que Club, but I won’t hold that against the city. ;)

ccfcway

personally it’s shite. Ccfc should be in Coventry.

Not enough fans attend, we could well be outnumbered at some games this season.

Saddens me every time I walk in. We deserve better

BornSlippySkyBlue

personally it’s shite. Ccfc should be in Coventry.

Not enough fans attend, we could well be outnumbered at some games this season.

Saddens me every time I walk in. We deserve better
Of course we should be in Coventry, but that wasn’t the question. No point hating Birmingham because we have a council full of twats and imported a franchise rugger team from London. From what I’ve seen the blues’ fans have been pretty good with us squatting in their ground. All the ones I know in brum are more curious about what’s going on in Cov than anything else.

Dare I say it, the villa fans are the same. All I get is questions about wtf is going on and agreement that wasps and the council are cunts (when I’ve explained the situation). Outside of Coventry, and even possibly outside of a minority of our fans, nobody has a clue. All they know are a few keywords, SISU, ricoh, wasps, Birmingham. That’s about it.

But I get your point, totally.

Terry_dactyl

Always liked Birmingham as a place but I only really know it for a night out.
I hadn’t been to Brum since I was 18 so it was nice to get back there for a few weekend visits...and the Pompey game.
When living in cov Brum was my night out...used to go to a place in Fiveways a place called ‘Bakers’. All long gone now...I hardly recognised the place. Which was possibly not a bad thing.

Covkid1968#

Got mugged there when I was 16 after going to meet a Brummie girl following a holiday romance. Then got nicked against the Villa which intensified my dislike of Brum. Had 20 years of living the mantra never get chummie with a Brummie...then got a job over there. And find them top people...great sense of humour..love a beer and the crack. So even before the move I had really completely changed my view of them. Love the banter at work with Villa and Blues.....and so the move to St Andrews was the next best option. Are they still Brummie c*nts...of course they are!! We need to be back in Cov but whilst we build the new gaff....I'm pretty comfortable with the whole thing.

Skyblueweeman

Didnt get to a 'home game last season but hope to do so this season (covid allowing). Looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

AFCCOVENTRY

Nice FOOTBALL stadium
Nice FOOTBALL pitch

But we should really be in Coventry. It’s the best option until a long term solution is found back in Coventry. Which has to be our own FOOTBALL stadium.

RingoCCFC

Grew up in Cov and moved as a teenager to Solihull, used to hate it as a kid as I was the only cov fan surrounded by blues and back then being in the same league they were right cock noses! Moved away as soon as I left school for the countryside, decided to go back and lived right in Brindley place on the canal off brought street... was a bit to busy for my liking!

As for Blues a lot of my pals are bluenoses and we used to always shit talk but recently I think that ‘little rivalry’ has died out and now we’re at their place I’ve found all my mates are sound with the idea of it and have had best wishes for us so I don’t hate blues and wish them all the best also as they’ve done nothing to me!

St Andrews is an alright ground and their teams alright so fair play to them for what they’re doing for us! I presume there will still be dicks following both teams though that’ll cause drama!

Users who are viewing this thread