Has Thorn actually signed yet? (1 Viewer)

1ccfc

I might be a bit slow on this, but has Thorn signed a contract to be our Manager yet, and if so how long is it for?

I seem to remember the club saying that they wanted him to stay, but don't recall hearing anything else.

Appologies in advance if I have missed something.

PUSB

sky blue john

I would presume he has with all the talk of pre season and the coming season he is doing.

But well done in opening another thread which will turn into another anti Thorn we love carsley debate:facepalm:

kg82

I'm not certain on this but I think it's a rolling contract so there's no need for him to keep signing it?

Danceswithhorses

I'm not certain on this but I think it's a rolling contract so there's no need for him to keep signing it?
I presumed exactly that KG82, but i was well and truly put in my place by a fellow poster who told me i was talking bullshite.
He said, in his experience, the contract has to be renewed annually, and either side can walk away.
If we have an expert on here, it would be nice to know exactly what a rolling contract is, for arguments sake

Grendel

I presumed exactly that KG82, but i was well and truly put in my place by a fellow poster who told me i was talking bullshite.
He said, in his experience, the contract has to be renewed annually, and either side can walk away.
If we have an expert on here, it would be nice to know exactly what a rolling contract is, for arguments sake

95% of such contracts allow either party to leave without compensation to the other.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I would have thought it could be done either way Danceswithhorses ...... but it looks like AT was supposed to renew at end of season so probably his gets renewed each year ...... has he done that I dont know, certainly acting as if he has

kg82

Ahh, the "put you in your place" approach to an argument!! I know it well

skybluegod

it's a 1 year rolling contract he's on which means all that needs to happen is to say we want you and thorn to say ok and it just rolls on

cheever

We should sign up on a lengthy contract before he is snapped up by the likes of Blues/Swansea etc who are in the market for a new manager.

mark82

it's a 1 year rolling contract he's on which means all that needs to happen is to say we want you and thorn to say ok and it just rolls on

Surely a 1 year rolling contract has one year on it at all times. Think Thorn was on a 1 year contract but not rolling.

cheever

No, Nick it isn't.

AT has a reputation for playing good football, and Stan Collymore had him for manager of the year (if he kept us up), so you have got to think that a team like Swansea at the very least who also play good football, would be looking at someone like AT and be keeping tabs on him.

To compound the situation he now also has his Entry Level FA badge.

Grendel

No, Nick it isn't.

AT has a reputation for playing good football, and Stan Collymore had him for manager of the year (if he kept us up), so you have got to think that a team like Swansea at the very least who also play good football, would be looking at someone like AT and be keeping tabs on him.

To compound the situation he now also has his Entry Level FA badge.

I agree. All our best players are leaving so how can we possibly retain the services of a guy who is the best manager we have had in a decade. No chance really...is there?

1nilandwe...

Now, I don't mind Andy Thorn and in the great Thorn Vs SISU debate that was raging last season I generally came down on his side. However, to suggest that Birmingham, or even Swansea(!!!) might poach him is a touch over the top.

cheever

Well said, KD.

But I believe that AT will mould whichever 11 he has on the pitch because of his footballing philosphy.

He plays almost a '1970s Dutch total football' system where no matter who plays, they just slot into the position and do the job. I firmly believe that you could play Jordan Clarke up front and he would perform, or have Bell, Hussey and Deegan constantly switching roles and confusing the opposition as they slot seamlessly into any position on the pitch.

I am looking forward to AT showing these L1 teams a thing or two this season.

cheever

Now, I don't mind Andy Thorn and in the great Thorn Vs SISU debate that was raging last season I generally came down on his side. However, to suggest that Birmingham, or even Swansea(!!!) might poach him is a touch over the top.

Possibly, but he plays great football...and that has been noticed in the higher echelons of the English game.

cheever

Lads, all I am saying is that in the Premier League, with more time on the ball, AT's 'Total Football' philosphy could be a winner. That will have been noticed by some...and now he is a man with a badge, his stock will only rise.

Remember, he has, as far as the wider footballing world is concerned, come out of our relegation relatively blameless...in fact, the media and other managers confirmed in their post-match conferences of the way he plays the game.

It will have done him no harm...and I believe that beyond CCFC he will succeed....and he deserves to, as he is a top bloke who plays the beautiful game beautifully.

ajsccfc

To be fair to Cruyffy, he's turned that Swede by accident, but it's a testament to the lad. Really gives it 110% in training, him vs Clarkey is a real sight. Triffic.

mark82

Well said, KD.

But I believe that AT will mould whichever 11 he has on the pitch because of his footballing philosphy.

He plays almost a '1970s Dutch total football' system where no matter who plays, they just slot into the position and do the job. I firmly believe that you could play Jordan Clarke up front and he would perform, or have Bell, Hussey and Deegan constantly switching roles and confusing the opposition as they slot seamlessly into any position on the pitch.

I am looking forward to AT showing these L1 teams a thing or two this season.

1970's Dutch Total Football. What the fuck are you on! I think Thorn is relatively blameless for what has happened but you cannot seriously compare it to Total Football played by the Dutch. That worked for a start.

Nick

Administrator
Lads, all I am saying is that in the Premier League, with more time on the ball, AT's 'Total Football' philosphy could be a winner. That will have been noticed by some...and now he is a man with a badge, his stock will only rise.

Remember, he has, as far as the wider footballing world is concerned, come out of our relegation relatively blameless...in fact, the media and other managers confirmed in their post-match conferences of the way he plays the game.

It will have done him no harm...and I believe that beyond CCFC he will succeed....and he deserves to, as he is a top bloke who plays the beautiful game beautifully.

Yes but without the players to do that, he should be adapting to a style to get the best out of what we have.

It is ok for every manager to say that they with millions in the budget he would get better results. The real good managers get the best out of what they have, and work to the players strengths.

I am not saying SISU are blameless at all, or the players but I just think Thorn gets away with murder.

mark82

Yes but without the players to do that, he should be adapting to a style to get the best out of what we have.

It is ok for every manager to say that they with millions in the budget he would get better results. The real good managers get the best out of what they have, and work to the players strengths.

I am not saying SISU are blameless at all, or the players but I just think Thorn gets away with murder.

I think it must be sarcastic. Going too over the top.

cheever

It may a little over the top, Mark, but the point I am trying to make is what AT is TRYING to achieve.

It is clear that he is not a Route 1 merchant, and despite all of the issues he has faced, he should receive some credit for at least trying to play the game the right way.

The easier option is to put a big lump up front and hoof it to him....I'm glad AT doesn't take that option.

Surely everyone can see what AT is trying to do and give him some credit for that????

I also predict that armed with his coaching badges, we will see AT take the beautiful game to the next level.

Grendel

It may a little over the top, Mark, but the point I am trying to make is what AT is TRYING to achieve.

It is clear that he is not a Route 1 merchant, and despite all of the issues he has faced, he should receive some credit for at least trying to play the game the right way.

The easier option is to put a big lump up front and hoof it to him....I'm glad AT doesn't take that option.

Surely everyone can see what AT is trying to do and give him some credit for that????

I also predict that armed with his coaching badges, we will see AT take the beautiful game to the next level.

I'm surprised Hodgson didn't include him as a technical advisor for the Euro's.

cheever

He couldn't KD, AT was acquiring his badges at Warwick Uni.

I bet AT would have seen the Russians tonight and be purring with expectation of what he can now replicate at ryton.

He'll be chomping at the bit to 'be back at it' with 'a good bunch of lads' on 1 July.

Grendel

He couldn't KD, AT was acquiring his badges at Warwick Uni.

I bet AT would have seen the Russians tonight and be purring with expectation of what he can now replicate at ryton.

He'll be chomping at the bit to 'be back at it' with 'a good bunch of lads' on 1 July.

Yeah fair point. Still I would imagine most of the League One teams are quaking at the thought of us next season. With our best manager in a decade and the best football ever seen at the Ricoh most of them will be having sleepless nights as to how they can contain us. Thorn could be the first manager in history to win Manager of the Month every month.

dongonzalos

wish in a parallel universe for one year we could see the two comparisons of
1)
AT with a decent squad respectable squad that should challenge for the play offs for whatever league he is in
2)
At with a squad created by a bunch of incompetent Muppets who have dug themselves into a hole wasting other people's money and now trying to dig out of the whole. Whose decisions are always of recent time based purely on short term financial gain as oppose to long term competitive gain of the squad and ingratiated the partner agencies you may soon be trying to strike a deal with

This would be the only way this particular debate would ever be settled.

Grendel

wish in a parallel universe for one year we could see the two comparisons of
1)
AT with a decent squad respectable squad that should challenge for the play offs for whatever league he is in
2)
At with a squad created by a bunch of incompetent Muppets who have dug themselves into a hole wasting other people's money and now trying to dig out of the whole. Whose decisions are always of recent time based purely on short term financial gain as oppose to long term competitive gain of the squad and ingratiated the partner agencies you may soon be trying to strike a deal with

This would be the only way this particular debate would ever be settled.

Of course however it is only incompetent muppets who would employ him. Why was he given the job - well a decision based on short term financial gain as oppose to long term competitive gain as all their decisions are - and that is why we still have the creative legend for another season - can't wait.

sky blue john

But well done in opening another thread which will turn into another anti Thorn we love carsley debate:facepalm:[/QUOTE]

well i was half right it did turn into another anti thorn sarcastic bashing thread.

Yes, sarcasm, I believe from some on here.

Next we'll be hearing that armed with his badges, AT's tactical nous will only improve this season and that he will be a different level to the other managers in this league!

He's out of his depth....and 10 games in we will have proof of that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread