Has seeing the lads play made you more or less optimistic about the season (1 Viewer)

Ccfcisparks

Defence looked solid, concerns around the attack. But there was a move involving Eccles and sheaf(?) second half which Godden almost flicked in that showed our football is going to another level. Thoroughly convinced on the right day we could beat every team in this league, wasn’t that confident last year.

Grendel

Not if you lose the spine of the team. We’re not the only ones spending money in this league.

Only Leicester I think have spent more

mmttww

Spending £20m to make a mid table side would be pretty piss poor.
If we play poorly, and signings don't show promise, I'd agree. If we finish mid table on 60+ points, play well, and signings look decent, we've built a squad in one window that will be ours - no loans - for a few years after. I'd be OK with that. Had to make up for years of under investment in quick time. Not simple.

Last edited:

Hobo

I thought the performance deserved at least a point. I thought it was a very good game and Leicester looks a good side.

Considering we have so many new faces I think the performance was better than I expected as first few games of a season can be very poor.

I think we have signed good players and with time we will only get better. It is keeping players fit and injury free will be the challenge. I still think our squad will be on the small side. But impressed today.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

About the same, though the defence looked more solid than I expected while the attack needs to improve.

Leicester away is going to be one of the hardest games of the season and we matched them pretty much all the way, so you've got to hope we can keep around the play-off picture.

Hamer's future could be pivotal to whether we get in them or not though.

Saddlebrains

More confident. 2 reason on top of the obvious that once we gel we will be class

1. Robins openly stating we will be a force in this league once we get a few games in. When has he ever been openly optimistic about chances? He's the king of pessimism and playing down things. If hes excited you know its going to be good

2. I was watching the game with the inlaws, who are Arsenal fans. Despite that they know their football.

Both of them said they can see us pushing automatics. To play like that against a team who are still basically prem players, away, without our best team out. In fact the brother in law went and stuck £20 on us to be promoted at the final whistle. They usually love laughing at us

Saddlebrains

More confident. 2 reason on top of the obvious that once we gel we will be class

1. Robins openly stating we will be a force in this league once we get a few games in. When has he ever been openly optimistic about chances? He's the king of pessimism and playing down things. If hes excited you know its going to be good

2. I was watching the game with the inlaws, who are Arsenal fans. Despite that they know their football.

Both of them said they can see us pushing automatics. To play like that against a team who are still basically prem players, away, without our best team out. In fact the brother in law went and stuck £20 on us to be promoted at the final whistle. They usually love laughing at us

With the caveat of course that Gus stays. He goes I think it all falls to shit tbf

SkyBlue_Bear83

Worried about Hamer leaving or having a serious injury.

Worried about relying on Palmer as the main attacking midfielder if O'Hare takes a while to get back to his best.

Worried about relying on Godden if Wright or Simms out for a long period of time.

First 11 is good, looking forward to adding van Erwik and Wright into the first team and O'Hare coming back, we are still lacking depth in all positions really.

AFCCOVENTRY

There were plenty of positives today. We’ve got done by a player who scored twice and on his way to the Premiership in the next few weeks.

Defence I was worried about but the 3 in the centre looked decent. Thomas was impressive and Joel was composed with Fadz doing Fadz things.

Eccles was there to do a job to stop attacks down the right and he did a sound job. My opinion is Robins made a mistake to take him off. They had a lot of joy down that side thereafter.

JDS was ok but thought he would be better on the attack. MVE I think was a rabbit caught in the headlights. They piled the pressure on once he came on. Neess

Hamer as always our engine but even so without the love in he had quite a few sloppy passes. He’s clearly not match fit for 90mins and Robins was protecting him. Kelly came on and the game just bypassed him with the pace. I think we need to sign another CM in that position who is younger and has decent potential.

Sheaf was ok and broke up play and got stuck in. Think his positional play gave an easy play for their goal.

Palmer looked lively and if he gets a good run will be influential. Should have scored maybe. But was puffing before being subbed.

Up front was interesting. First half was poor and they looked like they had lead in their boots. 2nd half they came alive and Simms was much more effective and we saw how he can hold the ball up with his strength and moving a bit more fluidly. He won the corner for our goal.

Godden was in decent positions to score as usual but he is guilty of not converting one of his chances.

When Wright came on for his cameo it was the moment I realised we’ve got someone that will replace Vik. He was power, strength and pace. Unlucky not to score. He needs to start against Boro.

Overall, a lot of new players we saw today and against one of the favourites for the league we didn’t half come into our own. We’re going to smash some teams this season and the team will gel. We saw snippets of it today.

Trust the process with Robins and Adi.

Last edited:

harvey098

There were plenty of positives today. We’ve got done by a player who scored twice and on his way to the Premiership in the next few weeks.

Defence I was worried about but the 3 in the centre looked decent. Thomas was impressive and Joel was composed with Fadz doing Fadz things.

Eccles was there to do a job to stop attacks down the right and he did a sound job. My opinion is Robins made a mistake to take him off. They had a lot of joy down that side thereafter.

JDS was ok but thought he would be better on the attack. MVE I think was a rabbit caught in the headlights. They piled the pressure on once he came on. Neess

Hamer as always our engine but even so without the love in he had quite a few sloppy passes. He’s clearly not match fit for 90mins and Robins was protecting him. Kelly came on and the game just bypassed him with the pace. I think we need to sign another CM in that position who is younger and has decent potential.

Sheaf was ok and broke up play and got stuck in. Think his positional play gave an easy play for their goal.

Palmer looked lively and if he gets a good run will be influential. Should have scored maybe. But was puffing before being subbed.

Up front was interesting. First half was poor and they looked like they had lead in their boots. 2nd half they came alive and Simms was much more effective and we saw how he can hold the ball up with his strength and moving a bit more fluidly. He won the corner for our goal.

Godden was in decent positions to score as usual but he is guilty of not converting one of his chances.

When Wright came on for his cameo it was the moment I realised we’ve got someone that will replace Vik. He was power, strength and pace. Unlucky not to score. He needs to start against Boro.

Overall, a lot of new players we saw today and against one of the favourites for the league we didn’t half come into our own. We’re going to smash some teams this season and the team will gel. We saw snippets of it today.

Trust the process with Robins and Adi.
I’ll take this one…. *Premier league.

Covcraig@bury

James Franco Cigar GIF
Steady on I’m Tile Hill 🤔

Samo

I was very encouraged by what I saw yesterday generally, though I was fairly optimistic about our chances in any case.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Same. To be honest I thought we might get a hiding yesterday, but I was very encouraged. Some time to gel, some coaching, and a couple more signings and we will be ok. I may be in the minority but I think both Simms and Wright will come good.

PVA

I was very encouraged by what I saw yesterday generally, though I was fairly optimistic about our chances in any case.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah this (y)

Though a lot is obviously dependent on Hamer staying (or signing a good replacement).

Jamesimus

I was predicting a pessimistic 12th-8th place.

After Saturday now, I think we have the ability to be top 6 if things click.

I think we need good quality central midfield cover / the ability to rotate there whether Hamer goes or stays.

Julie SBA

On the whole, more positive, we should have won and I thought pre match we'd get well beaten.
Hamer will go, this is the big concern, he is the heartbeat of the team and near impossible to replace.
MR was poor yesterday with his changes. MVE looked like he hadn't played at this level before, although I'm sure he's just rusty. probably not ready to be on the bench, Wednesday would have been a better option for him.
Wright looked like he's going to be a real threat as much as Simms disappointed me, but I'm not sure if the plan is to play them together anyway. Defence looked good, Harsh on Bidwell by Dasilva looks like an upgrade. Playoffs are realistic in a really tough league

covcity4life

I was predicting a pessimistic 12th-8th place.

After Saturday now, I think we have the ability to be top 6 if things click.

I think we need good quality central midfield cover / the ability to rotate there whether Hamer goes or stays.
If fit Allen would have come on instead of kelly

joemercersaces

Went toe to toe with a Premier League standard squad, not just an eleven. Could and should have won. Goals change games and 2-0 to us would have probably made their home atmosphere toxic and made it very hard for them to come back. 1-1 gave them momentum and they took advantage. No doubt they were very worried though.

MacReady

I’m from Nuneaton so even falling face down in a pile of dog sh1t makes me feel more positive. We’ll do alright.

CCFCSteve

I guess but can't have squad too big either.

Eccles
Kelly
Allen
Hamer
Sheaf

For 2 spots

Shouldn't have renewed Kelly perhaps

Kelly can do a job still as proven in last years run in but he’s never going to be a replacement for hamer, especially with palmer out in his feet. Left us with no legs in the middle.

Sick Boy

I expect a sustained challenge for the top 6 this season with promotion within the next couple of years if we keep the spine of this team together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread