Has Been 11 V Bigger things 11 (3 Viewers)

skybluesam66

So comparing a side on Has Beens who we have signed at the end of their career v Those who have gone on to Bigger and better things

My "Has Been" 11

Andy Goram

Stephen Wright
Arjan De Zeeuw
Terry Butcher
Kenny Sansom

Gerry Francis
Tim Sherwood
Joe Cole
Gordon Strachan

Alan Brazil
Yakubu

My "Better Things" 11

Chris Kirkland

Danny Thomas
Larry Lloyd
Gary Gillespie
Stuart Pearce

James Maddison
Steve Hunt
Gary Mcallister (was struggling on midfield but he had a v good season after leaving)

Callum Wilson
Mark Hateley
Robbie Keane

NortonSkyBlue

So comparing a side on Has Beens who we have signed at the end of their career v Those who have gone on to Bigger and better things

My "Has Been" 11

Andy Goram

Stephen Wright
Arjan De Zeeuw
Terry Butcher
Kenny Sansom

Gerry Francis
Tim Sherwood
Joe Cole
Gordon Strachan

Alan Brazil
Yakubu

My "Better Things" 11

Chris Kirkland

Danny Thomas
Larry Lloyd
Gary Gillespie
Stuart Pearce

James Maddison
Steve Hunt
Gary Mcallister (was struggling on midfield but he had a v good season after leaving)

Callum Wilson
Mark Hateley
Robbie Keane
Of course you could have added Dennis Wise to the has been's and any number of players who went on to better things such as Dennis Mortimer but good choices made.

ajsccfc

Looking at how far back you could go to get a team of ropey old-timers and apart from goalkeepers you don't need to go back more than five years. Not including Joe Cole as he made me feel warm and fuzzy inside and that free-kick he scored was magic.

Yakubu in goal
Lorentzson
Ramage
Webster
Kilbane
Baker part 2
Foley
Hunt
Fortune
Henderson
Tudgay

Beavon on the bench because even in this team he doesn't get to play

Nonleagueherewecome

Tricky one-do the "has beens" have to be no good anymore? Otherwise I would include Roland. If they're totally past it, I would challenge Kenny Sansom (not as quick anymore but very solid in his first season, could whip a cross in still and was a big part of the magical Christmas hammerings of Liverpool and Villa) and Wee Gordon (obviously ancient, but instantly the best player on the pitch whenever he was forced to put his boots on, oozed class, ran games and kept us up with his vital contributions). I think Gerry Francis had some good games too (although my dad said he was past it).

Peter Barnes for the "has beens" team perhaps? Otherwise I think the rest of your selections are good, especially the CB's!

Peter Atherton and David Phillips were very good after they left us but probably at sides similar to us at the time. I'd say Kirkland didn't massively kick on after us really and stagnated with injuries, but how about Dean Kiely? Never had a chance here with Oggy in situ, but went on to be a decent top flight 'keeper for Baggies.

Could have a side of players who were never quite the same after leaving us? Phil Babb, Robert Rosario, Terry Gibson and Steve Livingstone for a start....and pretty much anyone Strachan signed for Southampton from us.

EDIT: I'd add Graham Rodger to the "not the same after us" team: had a reasonable lower league career with the likes of Grimsby, but that floated pass to launch the move for our winning goal in '87 promised so much more than he actually achieved....

Nonleagueherewecome

Oh maybe Steve Sedgley for the Better Things XI, although Spurs were a bit crap at the time tbh and he might also get in my "better with us than where they went after" team.

Nonleagueherewecome

Ooh Salako for the Has Beens. Wasn't that old, but the dead man's tendon in his leg wasn't as fast as the one he had in his prime at Palace, sadly. Can play at LB instead of Kenny, seeing as we played him there (stupidly) now and again...

Esoterica

My "Has Been" 11

Andy Goram

Stephen Wright
Arjan De Zeeuw
Terry Butcher
Kenny Sansom

Gerry Francis
Tim Sherwood
Joe Cole
Gordon Strachan

Alan Brazil
Yakubu

My "Better Things" 11

Chris Kirkland

Danny Thomas
Larry Lloyd
Gary Gillespie
Stuart Pearce

James Maddison
Steve Hunt

Callum Wilson
Mark Hateley
Robbie Keane
Harsh on Strachan, i thought he was superb still in the few games he played for us (although I was a teenager still so maybe dreaming). I'd have Keith o'Neill in there over him. Dean Holdsworth on the bench for the 'has beens'

Maybe Aron Gunnarsson for the better things 11?

Last edited:

Esoterica

Dublin, Hadji and Boateng for Better Things.

giphy.gif

steve cooper

My "Has Been" 11

Andy Goram

Stephen Wright
Arjan De Zeeuw
Terry Butcher
Kenny Sansom

Gerry Francis
Tim Sherwood
Joe Cole
Gordon Strachan

Alan Brazil
Yakubu

My "Better Things" 11

Chris Kirkland

Danny Thomas
Larry Lloyd
Gary Gillespie
Stuart Pearce

James Maddison
Steve Hunt

Callum Wilson
Mark Hateley
Robbie Keane
Did you ever see Strachan play for us? did you see the game against Chelsea in April 1997? Probably one of Strachan's best performances (at age of nearly 40) also don't forget he joined us not as a player but as assistant manager

Grendel

Harsh on Strachan, i thought he was superb still in the few games he played for us (although I was a teenager still so maybe dreaming). I'd have Keith o'Neill in there over him. Dean Holdsworth on the bench for the 'has beens'

Maybe Aron Gunnarsson for the better things 11?

No Strachan even at the age he was was a class above anything else on the pitch when he played

Adge

Could we throw Bob Latchford into has beens 11?

east_midlands_skyblue

Better things eleven

GK - Kirkland
RB - Christie
LB - Pearce
CB - Dann
CB - Gillespie
CM - Gunnarsson
CM - Maddison
CM - Henderson (struggled for one here...)
FW - Sturridge
FW - Wilson
FW - Keane

Has been eleven

GK - Peter Shilton
RB - Nilsson (still class)
LB - Samson
CB - Butcher
CB - de Zeeuw
RM - Strachan (still class)
LM - Salako
CM - Wise
CM - Cole
FW - Yakubu
FW - McSheffrey (2nd time around)

Esoterica

Kevin Richardson as a nominee for the has beens. Steve Staunton? Mike Marsh?

Last edited:

Grendel

Peter Barnes

Westendlad

Looking at how far back you could go to get a team of ropey old-timers and apart from goalkeepers you don't need to go back more than five years. Not including Joe Cole as he made me feel warm and fuzzy inside and that free-kick he scored was magic.

Yakubu in goal
Lorentzson
Ramage
Webster
Kilbane
Baker part 2
Foley
Hunt
Fortune
Henderson
Tudgay

Beavon on the bench because even in this team he doesn't get to play
You mean he gave you a stiffy ? Don't be shy we're all adults on here. Ahhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ah ahahhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha

Westendlad

My "Has Been" 11

Andy Goram

Stephen Wright
Arjan De Zeeuw
Terry Butcher
Kenny Sansom

Gerry Francis
Tim Sherwood
Joe Cole
Gordon Strachan

Alan Brazil
Yakubu

My "Better Things" 11

Chris Kirkland

Danny Thomas
Larry Lloyd
Gary Gillespie
Stuart Pearce

James Maddison
Steve Hunt

Callum Wilson
Mark Hateley
Robbie Keane
2-1 to the better team....Hunt 2

DionDublinsJockstrap

On the basis has beens a have to had a good history and a degree of optimism my selections would be and it is top heavy on strikers

Clayton Ince
Robert Jarni
Aajan De Zeuuw
Steve Walsh
Keith O'Neill
Tim Sherwood
Stephen Hunt
Yakubu
Tommy Langley
Kevin Drinkell
Tony Hateley

With dishonourable mentions to Robert Rosario, and Lee Mills

Now that team would take some losing to!!

ccfcway

On the basis has beens a have to had a good history and a degree of optimism my selections would be and it is top heavy on strikers

Clayton Ince
Robert Jarni
Aajan De Zeuuw
Steve Walsh
Keith O'Neill
Tim Sherwood
Stephen Hunt
Yakubu
Tommy Langley
Kevin Drinkell
Tony Hateley

With dishonourable mentions to Robert Rosario, and Lee Mills

Now that team would take some losing to!!

don't get the Rosario thing. maybe I was a bit too young, but I thought he was ok. He played for us in the top flight. was the catalyst for the brilliant Ndlovu and Quinn, bagged a few goals and was sold for half a million or so wasn't he ?

How can that be compared to Yakabu, Henderson etc

Hobo

I think Dennis Mortimer went on and achieved more than most? Like League Cup (when it was worth winning), League Champions medal, European Cup Medal and European Super Cup Medal.

PCH

Here’s one for the oldies. Graham Paddon. Started with us in the early 70’s. Dropped down to Norwich and then became West Ham’s most expensive player in Div 1.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Here’s one for the oldies. Graham Paddon. Started with us in the early 70’s. Dropped down to Norwich and then became West Ham’s most expensive player in Div 1.
Same as the Maddison deal , we sell him to Norwich and then Norwich sell him for a massive profit.

Nothing changes.

Users who are viewing this thread