Hartlepool Replay (1 Viewer)

Spionkop

And another thing RFC, where are the new ground designs?
Brentford are building a 20,000 seater. Allegedly we're going for much less. What breathtaking ambition. Outstripped by Brentford.
Nothing, just a constant - in a few weeks. Why they haven't bought any land.
A bloody disgrace.

ccfcway

And another thing RFC, where are the new ground designs?
Brentford are building a 20,000 seater. Allegedly we're going for much less. What breathtaking ambition. Outstripped by Brentford.
Nothing, just a constant - in a few weeks. Why they haven't bought any land.
A bloody disgrace.

TF is on it :pointlaugh:

J

Jack Griffin

Just a fan of many years who appreciates the bigger picture and realises that although silence is golden, the other parties involved aren't getting the stick they both deserve!

Unfortunately it's become a 'witch-hunt' against the current owners, apportioning blame is pointless and we must look forward whether that means ever returning to the Ricoh or to a new venue.

Just sick to death with all the politics and the fact that only one party are taking any stick when the other two are at least equally to blame.

You are in a seriously small minority then.
See the poll on another thread, http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/39706-Poll-Who-is-to-blame 82..17% say SISU holds greater percentage of the blame.. 12.4% say blame equal and 5.43% say council & ACL hold greater % of blame..

Grendel

You are in a seriously small minority then.
See the poll on another thread, http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/39706-Poll-Who-is-to-blame 82..17% say SISU holds greater percentage of the blame.. 12.4% say blame equal and 5.43% say council & ACL hold greater % of blame..

So what? Most on here don't even attend games. Ask the real question - if we returned home today with sisu as owners and owning the Ricoh would you take it? Ask the question "jack" I dare you.

ccfcno9

Just a fan of many years who appreciates the bigger picture and realises that although silence is golden, the other parties involved aren't getting the stick they both deserve!

Unfortunately it's become a 'witch-hunt' against the current owners, apportioning blame is pointless and we must look forward whether that means ever returning to the Ricoh or to a new venue.

Just sick to death with all the politics and the fact that only one party are taking any stick when the other two are at least equally to blame.

'the other two are at least equally to blame'(may I add in your honest opinion?).you claim to be sick of all the politics yet continually post one sided political comments yourself.:thinking about:It would be nice if you could as a regular to sixfields(which you,ve every right to) post more football comments, ie individual players ratings etc as opposed to just describing the atmosphere there for those of us who cannot/will not attend(which as supporters we,ve a right to make our own choice also).

Sky Blue Kid

Catch up Grenduffy...that question has already been asked. I for one, will never attend the Ricoh while SISU own us.

ohitsaidwalker king power

So what? Most on here don't even attend games. Ask the real question - if we returned home today with sisu as owners and owning the Ricoh would you take it? Ask the question "jack" I dare you.

G... like you I don't and won't attend Sixfields...and its fundamentally that very issue which hardened my position(like many) from moderate SISU protest to a more extreme anti SISU view. Their continued intransigence to what appears on the face of it to be a reasonable attempt at compromise by "the other side" are what threaten to disaffect more people still.
And so to your question- Yes I would attend the Ricoh if SISU were the owners, I'm not sure if that makes me a "super fan", a hypocrite or just plain daft- blinded by the love of my football club I'm so desperate to support and watch play..... On this basis G the argument you present is not worthy of political point scoring you attempt by it, in the context of the present situation?

Last edited:

James Smith

Why make the snide remark about even after this week then? Given the fact previous regimes have also threatened legal action against fans?

Yes McGinnity as I have posted on another thread did threaten Neville Hadsley with legal action. This was because someone posted on his site suggesting that McGinnity was dishonest which isn't the smartest thing to do as that is actionable without proof. But sending legal threats to him was like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut (and I'm not suggesting that Neville was or is a nut).

Can you point to anything in the Guardian piece that is incorrect, because Sisu/CCFC have written to the Trust telling them to remove a link to that story, as they may be taking action against the Guardian. This for publishing a piece which as far as I know is factual and recounts our plight.

Last edited:

Grendel

Yes McGinnity as I have posted on another thread did threaten Neville Hadsley with legal action. This was because someone posted on his site suggesting that McGinnity was dishonest which isn't the smartest thing to do as that is actionable without proof. But sending legal threats to him was like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut (and I'm not suggesting that Neville was or is a nut).
Can you point to anything in the Guardian piece that is incorrect, because Sisu/CCFC have written to the Trust telling them to remove a link to that story, as they may be taking action against the Guardian. This for publishing a piece which as far as I know is factual and recounts our plight.

So you are saying he said he was dishonest -- what did he say?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grendel

Last edited by a moderator:

James Smith

No he didn't. westterrace2 did, quoting a private email from Mark Avery in a post.

Then I apologise to Neville unreservedly, and will edit my posts and references accordingly.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Then I apologise to Neville unreservedly, and will edit my posts and references accordingly.

Sad that our club has form really(!)

http://www.zoominfo.com/CachedPage/...-01-05T00:58:14&firstName=Mark&lastName=Avery

Legal Action Update 4 - The Letters

By Neville Hadsley
Date: 1/12/2004

Well, after five days, the chairman and board of CCFC have still not replied to the letter sent to them by my solicitor in response to the legal action they threatened 12 days ago. So, in the hope that it can bring about an end to this unnecessary episode, I have decided to publish both letters.

This whole affair is bad for Coventry City FC and the team. I hope, by publishing these letters the club will call a halt to all action and end the matter here. This is a transcript of the letter I received from bpe Solicitors on 19 November 2004
18 November 2004
The Editor
Gary Mabbutt's Knee
Dear Sir
Feature on your Website - Mark Avery
We are instructed by the Chairman and Board of Directors of Coventry City Football Club (Holdings) Limited in relation to the publication on your website of a letter containing comments by Mark Avery (copy herewith).
[Note: attached to the letter was a printout of a post which appeared for just over three hours on the messageboard of this site - a post which was not posted by Mark Avery but copied an email he had sent to a third party which contained a reference to "the rogues who 'run' our club"]
Mark Avery has admitted to Michael McGinnity the Chairman of Coventry City that his reference to "rogues" was intended as a reference to persons of a dishonest disposition, this statement and publication is a gross libel against the Chairman, Board and Senior Managers of Coventry City most of whom have an established status in public life and whose honesty and status is and must be unimpeachable.
We are instructed to take defamation proceedings against Mark Avery in his personal capacity and also yourselves.
We require from you a total retractions of such allegations published on the Fanzine website plus an irrevocable undertaking not to repeat any such statements; if the same is not forthcoming within 7 days then our instructions are to issue proceedings against you forthwith.
bpe (signature from unnamed person)
And here is my lawyer's reply:
25 November 2004
D. M. Billings Esq. BPE Solicitors
Dear Mr Billings
Gary Mabbutt's Knee
Article 10 (1) of the Human Rights Convention says:
'Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include the freedom to hold opinions and receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers'. The running of a football club is something of great public interest to a number of people and often leads to passionate comments - whether that Club is in the Premiership or the Conference! Any sensible and fair-minded person does not subject comments on a fan's website with the same degree of care and scrutiny as a solicitor's letter.
For example, the fan's forum published by Coventry City Football Club says at the moment
"I hate the directors because they are lying scum" and in another posting claims "you and the board care nothing for the safety of Cov City supporters. Hypocrites, back stabbers" Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary says that people use the term 'rogue' in the sense of "a rascal: a wag: a mischievous person (often playfully or affectionately)". As Mr McGinnity may know, the name Gary Mabbutt's Knee is a joke - referring to the way Coventry City managed to achieve a famous FA Cup win. Any Coventry City fan looking at the website would understand the joke.
No reasonable person could have interpreted what was said on Gary Mabbutt's Knee as a "gross libel" or a suggestion that any individuals have a "dishonest disposition".
Gary Mabbutt's Knee did not want to suggest that Mr McGinnity or the rest of the Board were "persons of a dishonest disposition". If you like, they will publish this letter on Gary Mabbutt's Knee to make that clear.
Mr McGinnity has made it clear that he wants to stifle criticism of his actions in relation to Coventry City Football Club. As he said recently, "I am sick and tired of people kicking me from pillar to post � I am not prepared to let people get away with it."
Mr McGinnity has shown no hesitation is using the media to attack his opponents and to explain why he thinks what he is doing is in the best interests of Coventry City Football Club - appearing in the press, radio and on television. Therefore, he can have no right to object to his opponents using similar means to explain what they think is in the best interests of Coventry City Football Club.
I trust that this will be the end of this matter. The only people who benefit out of libel cases are lawyers like you and me. Gary Mabbutt's Knee would be quite willing to deal with this matter by following the Defamation Pre-action protocol. I have offered Gary Mabbutt's Knee a "no win no fee agreement" to defend the proceedings you threatened against them. Despite the money I would lose if everyone "buries the hatchet" and returns to doing what they believe to be best for Coventry City Football Club, I hope that Mr McGinnity will acknowledge that courts are not the right place to deal with such disagreements and will accept my letter and the apology in it as the end of this matter.
Yours sincerely
Peter Lax
Bell Lax Litigation
So there you have it. You can decide for yourself whether this episode was worth the expense of spending hundreds of pounds on lawyers. But I urge the club not to spend anymore.
Rest assured I will defend myself in court if necessary.
But let us all hope that it does not come to that and that the club we all support can get back to the business of winning football matches without such unnecessary off-the-field distractions.

NorthernWisdom

Oh, I've never seen that before.....I wonder if Appleton has ever read this site :eek:

You'd be embroiled in a special kind of madness to pick on any post in particular and so much as threaten with legal action IMHO as even if right, it just makes you look like a controlling dictatorial arse... thankfully nobody embroiled in this whole affair goes as far as threatening posters with action eh ;)

johnb

Just got back from Hartlepool. Should have taken our time with that free kick just before their equaliser, we were under the cosh and a man down injured. Anyways as someone who has returned home devestated from previous cup defeats at Sutton , Northampton, Rochdale , Scarborough, Tramere etc I'm well pleased we're still in the hat tommorow. As usual won't be going to Sixfields but best of luck to City in the replay, there will be a few twists and turns I'm sure.

Usually drive away or go by train but today went by official coach. 4 hours each way , no stops, no 'official 'beer on coach, where's the fun in that. Coach in future back to last resort.

About 600 away support today and non stop chants from the start, unlike the 1st half support last week at MK which I thought was dire.

ccfcway

Just got back from Hartlepool. Should have taken our time with that free kick just before their equaliser, we were under the cosh and a man down injured. Anyways as someone who has returned home devestated from previous cup defeats at Sutton , Northampton, Rochdale , Scarborough, Tramere etc I'm well pleased we're still in the hat tommorow. As usual won't be going to Sixfields but best of luck to City in the replay, there will be a few twists and turns I'm sure.

Usually drive away or go by train but today went by official coach. 4 hours each way , no stops, no 'official 'beer on coach, where's the fun in that. Coach in future back to last resort.

About 600 away support today and non stop chants from the start, unlike the 1st half support last week at MK which I thought was dire.

fair play. The crowd seemed really quiet

A

alphapappa

How about we have some free speech rather than everyone trying to gag everyone else, there's allegedly been enough of that already.

If you want to go to Sixfields even after everything that has come out this week then that's fine, but you have to understand that you will be antagonising those people who would like as close to a total boycott as possible.

This is a bit rich talking about allowing EVERYBODY the right to free speech when this site doesn't! Irony obviously lost on this forum!

Warwickhunt

Can't see many Hartlepools fans going,could be a record low crowd.
and why should Hartlepool fans not support their team to get into the 3rd round proper? Stop wishing for Coventry to have such a small gate!

Stafford_SkBlue

Almost certain to be on TV £65k to CCFC & Hartlepool - who cares about the gate being low, which it will and also if in Cov would struggle to have 4k there in an empty Ricoh.
Four draws so far and two slots for BT Sport.

standupforcity

On minute it's a boycott of Northampton. Next minute it's 'lets fill sixfields on boxing day'.....

How's this for an idea..... don't go if you don't want to, but stop trying to impose your crackpot ideas for a protest onto others who want to support the team....

If you want to support the team, the history of the club and the integrity of football...DON'T GO....or don't you care that much?

Spionkop

Warwick hunt, I think most on here will be hoping no one turns up for the replay. Probably most of them, me included, wish for very low gates at Sixfields. The less the better, another nail in Sisu's coffin. They deserve nothing. Awful people.

shmmeee

and why should Hartlepool fans not support their team to get into the 3rd round proper? Stop wishing for Coventry to have such a small gate!

Who's wishing for Coventry to have a small gate? I thought we were talking about the gate in Northampton?

CovFan

Anybody else heard the rumour that the reason that tickets were £20 yesterday is because we refused a ticket price reduction that Hartlepool suggested?

bigfatronssba

Yeah they won't. Bloody miles away, possibility of bad weather, midweek.

It's not for the lack of will they won't bring many, just the practicalities of it all!

Also they generally only take around 300-400 to Saturday league games, so I cant see them bringing more than about 150.

I think if we had to go up to Hartlepool for a mid week FA Cup replay at this time of year we wouldn't have more than about 250.

NorthernWisdom

Also they generally only take around 300-400 to Saturday league games, so I cant see them bringing more than about 150.

I think if we had to go up to Hartlepool for a mid week FA Cup replay at this time of year we wouldn't have more that about 250.

Exactly. It's hardly making a political point to suggest Hartlepool won't be bringing many, as they wouldn't be even at the Ricoh!

For that matter, the crowd at the Ricoh for a replay like this one would be shockingly bad anyway, so again it's hardly going to be a shock when it plunges to new lows at Northampton.

skyblueinBaku

Would be pleased to sit alongside Tim & Steve, will give them your best wishes for progress to the 3rd Round

If you can sit alongside Tim & Steve, does that mean that Tim sits in the dugout, like Orange Ken did?

Hobo

Time to get on the hill and make a load of noise. Let's bring back the Spion Kop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread