Happy Mondays (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Otis

To be honest i would rather they charged and got some decent bands in.

They've had some really good bands over the years. Even if they are bands you don't like, you can't question the success and the critical acclaim they have had.

Buzzcocks were a great band, Human League, Idlewild, Echo and the Bunnymen, Ash, Super Furry Animals, Mercury Rev, The Cooper Temple Clause, Kasabian, Shed Seven, Biffy Clyro.

Also, the whole point of the festival is it to be for everyone and available to everyone and therefore free.

WestEndAgro

They've had some really good bands over the years. Even if they are bands you don't like, you can't question the success and the critical acclaim they have had.

Buzzcocks were a great band, Human League, Idlewild, Echo and the Bunnymen, Ash, Super Furry Animals, Mercury Rev, The Cooper Temple Clause, Kasabian, Shed Seven, Biffy Clyro.

Also, the whole point of the festival is it to be for everyone and available to everyone and therefore free.

Great post, couldn't agree more !

Grendel

Sorry I can't see how a festival is a festival without Hawkind, the ultimate festival band. Have you missed Leo sayer off the list?

Otis

Sorry I can't see how a festival is a festival without Hawkind, the ultimate festival band. Have you missed Leo sayer off the list?

If you listed all the good bands and artists that had played Glastonbury would you include Rolf Harris and Dolly Parton? Don't get your point. At no point did I set out to list all artists that have played the Godiva, just listed some of the bands that have had critical acclaim over the years. Why would I mention Leo Sayer?

Of course there has been dross too, but exactly the same can be said about Glastonbury and many of the other major festivals.

Grendel

If you listed all the good bands and artists that had played Glastonbury would you include Rolf Harris and Dolly Parton? Don't get your point. At no point did I set out to list all artists that have played the Godiva, just listed some of the bands that have had critical acclaim over the years. Why would I mention Leo Sayer?

Of course there has been dross too, but exactly the same can be said about Glastonbury and many of the other major festivals.

I'm not being serious. Well not really. I can tell you now if Hawkind were there Northern Wisdom would be first in the queue especially if they played Warrior On The Edge Of Time.

I did go one year. It's not for me but I'm only joking.

Otis

I'm not being serious. Well not really. I can tell you now if Hawkind were there Northern Wisdom would be first in the queue especially if they played Warrior On The Edge Of Time.

I did go one year. It's not for me but I'm only joking.

Thank God for that! :whistle: Got me worried for a mo there.

I remember the bad old days of the Godiva Festival when we had the likes of Showaddywaddy and the Syd Lawrence Orchestra there. Must say I think the line up is vastly improved these days.

Otis

The band I would really love to see at the Godiva is The Ramones.

Be helpful though if they weren't all dead.

Nick

Administrator
I went one year, walked up from town with a crate of beer on my shoulder. Hear you can't take beers now and have to buy it from them?

Otis

I went one year, walked up from town with a crate of beer on my shoulder. Hear you can't take beers now and have to buy it from them?

True. Good idea though. The dark days included a bit of an aggressive atmosphere and some trouble. They now have two nominated beer tent areas. Much better these days for sure.

Nick

Administrator
True. Good idea though. The dark days included a bit of an aggressive atmosphere and some trouble. They now have two nominated beer tent areas. Much better these days for sure.

Will always be plonkers though :( That day was roasting hot so was nice to have a beer in the sun.

Otis

You can still. There are beer tents, but they have open seating areas. Nowt stopping people having a beer in the sun. Also restricted now and no under 18's allowed into the drinking areas.

wingy

No Guinness tough ,appalling an email will be fired off to CCC pronto.

wingy

Why not take them to court and try and sue them! If that fails you could always then ask for a judicial review!

Maybe they're afraid of the effect It has on the bowels In those Portaloos.

TMI??:whistle::eek::facepalm:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Will always be plonkers though :( That day was roasting hot so was nice to have a beer in the sun.

Only 1 arrest over the first two days. Not sure about today

I only went yesterday and although there are always going to be some idiots who try to wreck it for other (mainly the 14 years olds who've been let out by mummy and daddy for the first time, who think it's cool to smoke and get steaming probably off one can), I thought most were well behaved!
Only seen one group of the above, atleast until the end but the other one was one girl, must have been 12 or 13 (or just very short with a proper squeaky voice) 'giving it large', but mainly with her mates rather than hassling anyone else.

Johnnythespider

Was there all weekend, had a great time, highlights, Selecter, Roddy, Neville, Horace, the Mondays, the seeds, and last but by no means least, the buzzcocks who were brilliant, Steve Diggle " we're going to bring the f#%@kin sky down" and Pete Shelley lookin like a dishevelled Santa clause. All for free, happy days.

Otis

I thought Pete Shelley had come along to rummage around all the bins.

Was a fantastic weekend.

Otis

Okay, who do you want for headlining next year?

Has to be feasible suggestions though. Godiva tends to either have up and coming bands, bands that were big once back when, or bands that have reformed and used to be successful.

Suggestions here please as who you would like to see, but it has to be realistic.

For me, Mott the Hoople (massive in the 70's, now reformed), Procol Harum (massive in the 60's, still going), Polyphonic Spree (perfect for festivals, moderate success) and Grandaddy (excellent critical acclaim, just reformed).

Anyone else conjure up someone that would suit the Godiva profile, is doable and you rate highly?

wingy

OMD might be another possibility. Very big the 80's, now reformed.
Said exactly this to my Bro as Ian Brody closed the show last night
Icicle Works of that era also
How about Bryan Ferry was superb at Glastonbury at 68 yrs old

Otis

Yep. Would prefer if it were Roxy Music though.

Icicle Works still going then?

wingy

Yep. Would prefer if it were Roxy Music though.

Icicle Works still going then?
Yeah Roxy would be better probably more expensive though
Re Icicle not sure tbh
Although I know Ian McNab still does the rounds

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

What about China Crisis, Gary Numan, sham69.
All still touring, just checked.

Last edited:

Otis

What about China Crisis, Gary Numan, sham69.
All still touring, just checked.

Gary Numan still too big I think. Still playing places like the London Apollo. China Crisis? Can't remember any of their songs at all to be honest. Remember them but not sure they would be much of a draw. Sham 69 I think would be a good laugh though.

bringbackrattles

Okay, who do you want for headlining next year?

Has to be feasible suggestions though. Godiva tends to either have up and coming bands, bands that were big once back when, or bands that have reformed and used to be successful.

Suggestions here please as who you would like to see, but it has to be realistic.

For me, Mott the Hoople (massive in the 70's, now reformed), Procol Harum (massive in the 60's, still going), Polyphonic Spree (perfect for festivals, moderate success) and Grandaddy (excellent critical acclaim, just reformed).

Anyone else conjure up someone that would suit the Godiva profile, is doable and you rate highly?
Never went this year but it is a great free weekend of music for everyone.Realistic suggestions for me would be as follows:
For hard rock fans : Saxon,Thunder,Judas Priest,Wishbone Ash top bands from 70's/80's but not too big for the Godiva.
Indie/Pop: Big Country,O.M.D.The Mission,Lemonheads,Half Man Half Biscuit and Teardrop Explodes.
And remember Joan Armatrading ? She would go down well.

wingy

Never went this year but it is a great free weekend of music for everyone.Realistic suggestions for me would be as follows:
For hard rock fans : Saxon,Thunder,Judas Priest,Wishbone Ash top bands from 70's/80's but not too big for the Godiva.
Indie/Pop: Big Country,O.M.D.The Mission,Lemonheads,Half Man Half Biscuit and Teardrop Explodes.
And remember Joan Armatrading ? She would go down well.
Excellent choices BBR

Otis

Dr. Feelgood also had a songs called 'Educated Fool' and 'Greaseball' so seems they knew of Tim Fisher too.

Otis

Travis I think would be the most likely out of that trio I would have said.

Not sure at what level the Manic's are playing at these days to be honest. They would be quite a coup though for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread