Hangovers (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

How do SBT members deal with them? Why do they get worse as you get older? Metabolism?

Whats everyone's go to cure? For me its a fry up and pink lucozade. Anyone got any suggestions?

Struggling today ffs 😂

pastythegreat

How do SBT members deal with them? Why do they get worse as you get older? Metabolism?

Whats everyone's go to cure? For me its a fry up and pink lucozade. Anyone got any suggestions?

Struggling today ffs
McDonalds normally sorts me out. Fry up doesn't help, the grease sits on my stomach and makes me worse

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Marty

The thought of eating with a hangover always makes me feel sick, but always feel better once I've had it,

A bit late now, but the best thing I've found is to neck a couple pints of water before going to bed.

shepardo01

I suffer horrifically from them, to the point now that I just don't bother drinking anymore.

Used to get them without fail, and get them bad. Horrible headache, repeatedly sick every 15 mins and this would last the full day until 8/9 pm.

I did used to drink a fair bit when out on a Saturday or when at Uni on a Weds after football and just put it down to that.
Even tried tablets to help, they were called ru21s (this was about 20 years ago), you were supposed to have one with each drink.... obviously forgot to take them as the night went on!!.... the ones I did take never seemed to work!

As I got older, I drank more sensibly. Still the same problem. Next day couldn't move, couldn't stop being sick etc.
Started to try to narrow it down to specific drinks. Seemed to be better on white spirits or some girly type ciders. Things worse on whiskeys, lagers etc. However, was a lottery now. Could drink a few and be sick (always next day, never on evening) or drink more and be relatively OK!

One of the most worrying episodes was about 6 years ago. Mrs treated us to a weekend in London. Went up the shard (would recommend by the way! ) and stopped halfway back down at quite a posh bar. Now, was a bit flustered as I couldn't see any girly ciders and wasn't going to have a vodka and lemonade at 4pm so ordered the closest thing...... a beer called St Mungo.....
Went down fine. I was fine. Didn't drink anything else alcoholic , evenue with meal later.
Then, about 5am....headache, sick, couldnot move etc....
We had booked a late train so we could sight seeing etc....
But no..... horrific hangover FROM ONE DRINK!
I had to basically wallow in the Mrs brothers student digs while they went sightseeing unit the train at 8pm... when I was just about human!

Really think I have an allergy or intolerance but never got tested (although really should do!) - can anybody recommend goid/cheap tests?

Sorry to bore everybody.... but never found a cure other than don't drink!

Rarely drink at all now! and haven't since this episode!

Last edited:

shmmeee

Never had really bad hangovers, but when I need it either a Maccys with a coffee, or in my student days a Lucozade sport and a cheese salad batch.

AOM

Find those fruity ciders (Kopparberg, etc) are good for hangovers as they're full of sugar, the alcohol helps take the edge off and they just taste like a soft drink.
That or just have to try and sleep it off :LOL:

clint van damme

I suffer horrifically from them, to the point now that I just don't bother drinking anymore.

Used to get them without fail, and get them bad. Horrible headache, repeatedly sick every 15 mins and this would last the full day until 8/9 pm.

I did used to drink a fair bit when out on a Saturday or when at Uni on a Weds after football and just put it down to that.
Even tried tablets to help, they were called ru21s (this was about 20 years ago), you were supposed to have one with each drink.... obviously forgot to take them as the night went on!!.... the ones I did take never seemed to work!

As I got older, I drank more sensibly. Still the same problem. Next day couldn't move, couldn't stop being sick etc.
Started to try to narrow it down to specific drinks. Seemed to be better on white spirits or some girly type ciders. Things worse on whiskeys, lagers etc. However, was a lottery now. Could drink a few and be sick (always next day, never on evening) or drink more and be relatively OK!

One of the most worrying episodes was about 6 years ago. Mrs treated us to a weekend in London. Went up the shard (would recommend by the way! ) and stopped halfway back down at quite a posh bar. Now, was a bit flustered as I couldn't see any girly ciders and wasn't going to have a vodka and lemonade at 4pm so ordered the closest thing...... a beer called St Mungo.....
Went down fine. I was fine. Didn't drink anything else alcoholic , evenue with meal later.
I had to basically wallow in the Mrs brothers student digs while they went sightseeing unit the train at 8pm... when I was just about human!

Really think I have an allergy or intolerance but never got tested (although really should do!) - can anybody recommend goid/cheap tests?

That definitely sounds like an allergy mate.
In which case you're doing the right thi g not bothering.

bringbackrattles

Used to be a heavy drinker and I hardly got hangovers, must have had a good tolerance level to alcohol. But when I drink now I'm rough for a couple of days after a session. I just let it linger and do nothing, other than drink lots of water.
Thankfully reached the stage of my life where I can lay off the drink for months, but enjoy a good drink still in a pub or on a day out at a match. I started drinking far too early aged 15 and by the time I reached 18 when you were supposed to start, I was a hardened boozer. Feel better physically and mentally easing up on the " demon drink " 😃

CCFCSteve

Super greens powder. Tastes vile but if I’m not too hammered will force it down when I get in or if not, first thing in the morning.

Also get out in the sun, even if it’s the last thing I feel like, always helps (with plenty of water)

Ps drinking a few waters when out and definitely eat a decent amount before or when out. Rereading all that I really do sound like an old man (I am I suppose)....only feels like yesterday when I managed to do 7 or 13/14 nights out on the bounce in Ibiza/Malia/Falaraki ...two max these days !!!

win9nut

In the past, I've never been too bothered about drink, could quite easily go without, but just lately, I've found myself "popping out" for a beer, but I only usually have 3 or 4 pints, and generally wake up ok.

If I go mental and end up on the JD, best thing I find is bacon - (fried, not grilled or baked, and slightly overcooked) - and about two gallons of sugary tea or OJ.

skybluesam66

Sure you didnt eat anything bad
I had something similar after some dodgy Mussels - Never been so sick in my life with the worst head ever, and didnt know whether to stick my head down the toilet, sit on the toilet for the shits or just lie curled up in a ball
All over in around 3 hours, but was awful. They were washed down with some Belgian beer, but nowhere near enough to make me feel like that

olderskyblue

Could go out one night, same routine, same drinks and be fine. Another night same routine, and get a horrible hangover. Who the hell knows why...

eastwoodsdustman

I've given up on drinking much more than 1 pint now. I used to drink a lot up until i was about 28/29. Then the kids come along and you drink less but you suffer more when you do. I realised about 5 years ago that I had to knock it on the head after i was bad for a large part of the day on 4 pints ( I used to drink that in my lunch hour FFS).
Its a young mans game now.

Nick

Administrator
Haven't been that drunk in ages to wake up in a world of it, I tend to just be really tired / clumsy now rather than pain.

Always have loads of water before I go to sleep and a couple of painkillers.

Great_Expectations

Unfortunately I think it’s an unanswerable question! I’ve tired loads but nothing really works.

As someone else said, I tend to just eat a load of shit food (McDonalds breakfast, pizza etc), plus chocolate/sweets. The carbs and sugar help.

Saying that my first statement wasn’t quite true, there is one thing that seems to always sort me out but it’s hard to drag yourself out to do it; going for a run. Says a lot that I know it works yet it’s very rare I actually do it, as it’s painful!

ccfc92

I don't really get hangovers per se. I either get sick or I don't. Can't stand being sick, so normally go with recovery beers 🥴🍻🤣

oscillatewildly

Always just suffered them (younger days) Rarely get to a similar state these days but I do recall an incidence circa 2009 on a South American tour. Buenos Aires, Sunday and the Bombonera, Boca v Rosario Centrale. I'd already disgraced myself on the convoluted minibus pick up malarkey (just about got my head out the window to chuck up as we arrived at the stadium) but once inside I wasn't feeling a lot better.
It was like a concreted version of 'Ice cold in Alex'. No cover from the sun on the unsheltered away end and two hours before kick off.
My mate then suggested drinking a pint of coke (coca cola) "Uh"? Thought I. I'd never been much of a fizzy pop kid so wasn't instantly convinced.
It does work tho! Must be something to do with the carbonated water.

wingy

I always glug a pint of effervescent orange vitamin c lozenges in a pint of cold water .
Barocoa lozenges apperently have a similar result.
In olden days Andrews liver salts were the go to for my dad
On a regular basis.
The 60'sand 70's were different culture 6-8 pints every night

fernandopartridge

I always glug a pint of effervescent orange vitamin c lozenges in a pint of cold water .
On a regular basis.

Yeah used to have a go on the Barroca on a lads break, think it's usually pissing in the wind tbh. Usually get back on it and it does the trick for another day

bringbackrattles

On a regular basis.
My dad never had hangovers or said he felt rough. I asked him how come he could go to the pub most nights, and get up fresh in the mornings to go to work on building sites ? He replied that he had never had hangovers as he stuck to drinking pints of bitter. He tried lager but disliked it and said it was piss water.
Also he ate well before drinking.
I tried bitter myself but couldn't take to it, but love a few pints of Guinness.

wingy

My dad never had hangovers or said he felt rough. I asked him how come he could go to the pub most nights, and get up fresh in the mornings to go to work on building sites ? He replied that he had never had hangovers as he stuck to drinking pints of bitter. He tried lager but disliked it and said it was piss water.
Also he ate well before drinking.
I tried bitter myself but couldn't take to it, but love a few pints of Guinness.
Yeah bitter and less so mild were the go to's until early to.mid (70's.

bringbackrattles

Yeah bitter and less so mild were the go to's until early to.mid (70's.
Aged 15 a few of us from Caludon Castle school went to the Jolly Colliers pub in Walsgrave, as we'd heard they served anybody there. And true enough we got served easily, just took our ties and blazers off. Pints of mild was the drink we heard about, so had a few of them.
Bloody horrible taste ! But didn't stop us as we returned there a few times.
Heard years later all slops were in pints of mild. No wonder we all had the runs !

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm now 67 and I can honestly say that I've only ever had one hangover and that was years ago when in my 20's. These days I drink 2 or 3 pints daily in my local (or cans at home) and then in the evenings I'll drink either whisky or gin - both neat - and at least quadruples each time. Certainly not bragging, so don't get me wrong, but I never even feel the slightest bit pissed either. The whisky and gin are both litre bottles and last just about a week each.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Aged 15 a few of us from Caludon Castle school went to the Jolly Colliers pub in Walsgrave, as we'd heard they served anybody there. And true enough we got served easily, just took our ties and blazers off. Pints of mild was the drink we heard about, so had a few of them.
Bloody horrible taste ! But didn't stop us as we returned there a few times.
Heard years later all slops were in pints of mild. No wonder we all had the runs !
I can back up what you say about the "slops", BBR. When I worked at the Jules Verne as the cellar-man, any slops from the trays under the beer taps was put into a bucket and at the end of shift, down in the cellar, I'd take the tap from the barrel of Ansells Mild and using a metal funnel, pour the slops in. It had to be the Ansells because that was the only beer in large wooden barrels that you could take the tap off. All the other beer came in pressurised metal barrels. Strangely enough, I was always complimented by the customers on how good my beers were! By the way, the wooden barrel was a "tun", which held around 200+ gallons or 1,600+ pints making the taste of any "added slops" unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread