Half way through.... (1 Viewer)

Briles

Just a little summary of my thoughts on the season so far

Was always going to be a rough ride after last season. We have progressed year on year pretty much since league 2 under Robins, and we hit such a high bar last year that it was always going to be hard to beat. Let's be honest, can't get much closer than actual promotion. So with my sky blues specs off, this season was always going to be a transitional one. Lost the two best players we've had in over 2 decades and replaced them with players who, regardless of what we think, were never going to live up to the expectations of last year. I'm happy we have a squad at last. We ran most of last season on a 1st 11 (a lot of which were loans) and let's be honest we were fortunate gyok and gus didn't get Injured. We are a proper club again, with stability and cash in the bank. If we don't hit playoffs then so be it, its just another chapter. But I do think Robins and Doug have a plan, and I support it fully. PUSB

Last edited:

Fluffsta

I agree with the squad comment. We may miss Vic and Hamer as the two IMO best players for such the longest time but the squad on a whole looks stronger. Robins knows what he is doing so give him time. He is building a very good squad based on contracts not loans and will get the best out of all of them in time.

Saddlebrains

Still 3 games until then mate

Sneaky feeling we'll do Southampton on Wednesday, but then lose to Leeds and Sunderland

28 from halfway for me.

Repeat that in the second half of the season we're safe by about 10 points

Do the same again but convert draws into wins.....

skyblu3sk

Feels like we are following the model that Robins does with every rebuild. Rebuild, make us hard to beat and solid at the back, work on forward play. It's like a set process he has.

Covkid1968#

6 points from next 3 games and I think we can start to talk about the march to the arch. The team are gelling clicking whatever we are calling it… it just might be 5 games too late.

Sick Boy

6 points from next 3 games and I think we can start to talk about the march to the arch. The team are gelling clicking whatever we are calling it… it just might be 5 games too late.
Unfortunately, I think the results against the likes of Rotherham will leave us short but still hopeful of somewhere around 10th-12th at this point.

pusbccfc

Shouldn't get carried away.

It's been a good run since the international break but we were humbled against a good side in Ipswich. Birmingham and Millwall were as bad as any we've played for a while. We are playing 3 good sides, 2 of which away, in the next fortnight. By Boxing Day we'll have a indication of where we are heading this season

There's some really good signs but we need to be putting away chances. We get the ball in good positions in the final third.

ptr

A bad start will hinder us too much this time round unfortunately but we are building something. Strength in depth and many talented players on long contracts. Lay the foundations this year, add to it again in the summer and next year could be our year.

The formation change is a positive one and gets us moving the ball forward quicker. Recently, apart from Ipswich, we are playing much better football than last year. No longer just hoofing to the channels for our OP striker. The passing and moving is so much better.

The key to all of it though is Sheaf. How long can we seriously keep away the noise about him? Not been any so far and I can’t work out why. Head and shoulders above most midfielders in the division.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Still 3 games until then mate

Sneaky feeling we'll do Southampton on Wednesday, but then lose to Leeds and Sunderland

28 from halfway for me.

Repeat that in the second half of the season we're safe by about 10 points

Do the same again but convert draws into wins.....
My thoughts are if we could go undefeated in these next three games we could really say were on the up.The Leeds game will be the toughest no one has won there this season but there again records like that build the pressure up. The Sunderland home record is not the best and I think we'll get something there .Whereas Southampton have the best away record outside the top 2 and have not lost in there last 5 away games after there wobble in September.Think win that and the mood would improve immensely.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

A bad start will hinder us too much this time round unfortunately but we are building something. Strength in depth and many talented players on long contracts. Lay the foundations this year, add to it again in the summer and next year could be our year.

The formation change is a positive one and gets us moving the ball forward quicker. Recently, apart from Ipswich, we are playing much better football than last year. No longer just hoofing to the channels for our OP striker. The passing and moving is so much better.

The key to all of it though is Sheaf. How long can we seriously keep away the noise about him? Not been any so far and I can’t work out why. Head and shoulders above most midfielders in the division.

I think you've answered your own question why there isn't so much noise about him and you can't work out why. People view him with some serious sky blue glasses, which is a shame because he is a very good player without the need to exaggerate him.

He could make it to the next step, but currently he's just not at the world class level some make him out to be. Our stats when he isn't in the team are very positive, so I don't buy the argument he is the key either. He wasn't that good again yesterday and on performances this season, not bias, Eccles deserves that place in all honesty as things stand.

ptr

I think you've answered your own question why there isn't so much noise about him and you can't work out why. People view him with some serious sky blue glasses, which is a shame because he is a very good player without the need to exaggerate him.

He could make it to the next step, but currently he's just not at the world class level some make him out to be. Our stats when he isn't in the team are very positive, so I don't buy the argument he is the key either. He wasn't that good again yesterday and on performances this season, not bias, Eccles deserves that place in all honesty as things stand.

Didn’t say he’s world class but at the very least he’s good enough for the better teams in our division to be having a look.

He’s been brilliant recently and that included yesterday. Mad take that is.

harvey098

To be honest, I think we’re pretty much where we deserve to be. I think we’ll beat a lot of teams but we’re not strong enough to compete at the top 6-8 this year. I’ll take a decent consolidation season and press on again next year.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Didn’t say he’s world class but at the very least he’s good enough for the better teams in our division to be having a look.

He’s been brilliant recently and that included yesterday. Mad take that is.

Like I said, he's viewed with sky blue glasses. I still think he's very good, but some of our fans have an inability to register when he's not playing that well. It's happened many times this season.

Defensively he was good yesterday, but going forward absolutely dreadful. Eccles isn't a fashionable player on here but if he had put in the same performance many of our fans would be calling to swap him next game.

Users who are viewing this thread