Gyokeres (8 Viewers)

Kingokings204

Fair play to him. He has ambitions and wants to go. He loves this club and in football nothing lasts forever. He will get us a club record fee and some of the best memories I’ve ever had with his goals and games played.
Thanks for everything Vik and I genuinely wish you all the best.

GIMOC

Fair play to him. He has ambitions and wants to go. He loves this club and in football nothing lasts forever. He will get us a club record fee and some of the best memories I’ve ever had with his goals and games played.
That’s it. If we got promoted he would have stayed. He said this months ago. He wants to further his career. Anyone in the same position would do the same. I’m hoping the interview is slightly out of context in translation because it’s not a great way to part with the club

CCFC54321

My reaction after reading the article is a touch disappointed in gyokeres IF word for word is correct.

It works two ways gyokeres has been brilliant for CCFC but CCFC has been brilliant for gyokeres as his career was going no where until robins and vivesh took him under their wings.

This isn’t the first time it appears gyokeres has been a bit lose lipped with the Swedish press and can only think it’s calculated or bloody naïve on gyokeres part.

SBT

I don’t really see any indication that he loves the club tbh - certainly not from these comments. Don’t get me wrong, thanks for all the goals/all the money etc, but he seems like one of the most maniacally ambitious and selfish players we’ve had in a while, I don’t see why we need to pretend there’s warmth of feeling here.

Grendel

I don’t really see any indication that he loves the club tbh - certainly not from these comments. Don’t get me wrong, thanks for all the goals/all the money etc, but he seems like one of the most maniacally ambitious and selfish players we’ve had in a while, I don’t see why we need to pretend there’s warmth of feeling here.

Hardly any players love a club - it’s nonsense

Matt Le Tissier any others?

Hertsccfc

Yes I have never seen him give any impression of loving the club and frankly why should he? Football is a short career and most players want to play at the highest level they can and earn the most they can.

CCFC54321

I’ve never felt gyokeres has been in love with CCFC. Always felt we was a stepping stone for him.

We got the best out of him of which I doubt another club will do so let’s hope we get a good fee and move on asap.

Macca

Funny how 2 seasons is considered a long service award these days. He’s right though we are asking too much though he shouldn’t say it

mark82

Funny how 2 seasons is considered a long service award these days. He’s right though we are asking too much though he shouldn’t say it
Glad we are. Hopefully means we'll settle for something better than expected. We have a contract, so the club are well within their right.

bigfatronssba

Makes me laugh when players say things like “I could’ve left in January”
Eh no you couldn’t mate, not without the club’s agreement

Finham

A lot of interested clubs by all accounts but only Sporting seem to have made a bid so far, Vik has worked his socks off to build a career that was stagnating at Brighton, the club took a chance on him when no one else would, both parties deserve to do well out of this move but it needs resolving soon, the longer it drags on the more chance there is of bad feeling setting in, it's always disappointing to read players you've loved watching say they want to move on but the club will also be pushing this I think, it's needed for us to build squad depth, reading between the lines I think Vik is saying he would have more options if we were asking for a bit less, Sporting may not be his first choice, I just hope we don't end up with a Diaz situation.
Yeah that's his perspective, surely he can understand why we need to get the best fee that we can? Would he honestly expect us to accept low bids just because he fancies it?

CV22SBA

I think Sporting Lisbon is the best fit for him and if they are willing pay pay £17M I would take it. I didn’t rate him when he initially came on loan and he was awful for Swansea too. MR & Vik built the formation around him and once he felt loved he turned into a really good championship striker. Personally I think he would struggle in the Premier League.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I've seen the interview in Swedish and as per usual the CET have gone with the sensationalist angle to get the most reaction.

What he's saying is that he wants to be sold to a team he would like to play at, not just the one that pays the most. It seems that Sporting have offered him a 5 year contract but are willing to pay up to about 20 million euros (17 million pounds). He doesn't know if that will match the estimation from the club, but said he could have left in January and didn't. He is hoping that the goodwill from that can mean that CCFC sell him to the club that he wants to go to, for the benefit of his career.

I don't see how any of that is really shocking or counts as betrayal. From his perspective of course he is going to prefer to play at Sporting every week, versus sitting on the bench at a mid-to-high PL club. I suspect Sporting won't be willing to pay as much as one of them though, and he knows that too, so his comments about the price being high are hardly unfair either.

That being said, we should honour that goodwill, but not at a stupid expense. We aren't a charity. I would be looking to squeeze the most out of Sporting. If they are willing to up it to more like 20 million pounds then that might have legs, but a bidding war needs to be instigated to sort it out. If West Ham (or insert any other linked club) would be willing to pay 30 million, then the goodwill goes out the window as far as I'm concerned. You can't just take the first offer in a situation like this, and I really hope the club are smart about it. At least, I certainly hope they don't take the advice of many on here which seems to be to take a potential cut price value. He is extremely well sought-after and that shouldn't be undervalued. We should be looking to get the absolute most from this.

Ian1779

It will be a test of character for him wherever he goes next - at a higher level where it is likely his goals and impact on a game will be less… for a while at least.

worc0257

Hardly any players love a club - it’s nonsense

Matt Le Tissier any others?
Even Le Tissier: maybe liked being a big fish in a small pond, brilliant player obvs, but didn't exactly break his neck when playing for England, suggesting he wasn't too arsed about it.

Steve Bull might be another example. Sure he could have got a big money move, but preferred it where he was, with that right-winger - Andy something? - putting it on a plate for him every week.

Very different times. Treat yourself and read "The Damned United" if you haven't read it already: great book. The Shankly one is nowhere near as good.

mark82

We don't owe him anything. It's not like he joined us as a favour. Hopefully we can find a solution that suits everyone.

coop

He's played his best football here and is only this position because of the way we play so maybe he will flop where he goes.

Users who are viewing this thread