Gyok or Wilson (1 Viewer)

The Philosopher

Right,

Who’s going to win?

Ben 17 clean sheets.

Gyok 17 goals.

11 games to go.

I’m going Gyok 22 goals v Wilson 21 clean sheets.

Hutch11

As it turns out it's a fairly decent thread
I'll go for Vik to get more goals but the way the defence and Wilson are playing there's going to be more clean sheets

rob9872

Right,

Who’s going to win?

Ben 17 clean sheets.

Gyok 17 goals.

11 games to go.

I’m going Gyok 22 goals v Wilson 21 clean sheets.
Will be Vik I think too. Some tough games towards the end of the season. Very impressive from both, would love to see golden boot and golden glove, great accolades, but think Akpom will get the boot unless he picks up an injury.

rob9872

If they both achieve, then who will be player of the season?
Will still be Vik for sure. I've defended Wilson on the other thread, but do of course accept clean sheets are more of a collective. Goals often need help but many of Viks are solo.

clint van damme

Vik can add multiple times in a game to his tally, Wilson can only keep one clean sheet per game so Vik should do it.

Happy_Martian

If they both achieve, then who will be player of the season?
Hamer for his controlling of his petulance and becoming a far superior team member than last season, Eccles or Burroughs for taking the step up to the first team and almost making themselves first choices (yes, I know its only through injury but they've set themselves well for further appearances).

ProfessorbyGrace

I want to see them on the same amount going in to Middlesboro with Vic and Akpom on the same goals total.
Vic to open the scoring in the 85th minute to leapfrog us over Middlesboro into 6th place and Wilson to save an Akpom penalty at 90+5 to claim the glove.
I think if that happened, Clive would have to be removed from the commentary box on a stretcher. It could well tip him over the edge.

Alkhen

On stats alone Wilson must me a good shout of getting in the Championship TOTY I reckon.

Gibbo

I just love the Ben Wilson story. It is quite life affirming.

Although in his late 20's, before coming to us he had only played about 50 first team games . He was always just a loyal bench warmer. The loyal bit is very important. He kept up that role with us by being 2nd fiddle to Marosi. Marosi was not up to Championship standard so Wilson earned a few first team games at the end of 20-21, but was promptly usurped by the aquisition of a new 1st choice, Simon Moore.

Wilson went back to being loyal bench warmer. But he gets a second chance when Moore commits some real (and expensive) howlers. So suddenly at a relatively late age Ben Wilson gets the thing he has probably been craving for well over a decade - 1st team football, at a very high standard in front of big crowds. There must have been many times when he thought he would never get his chance to experience that.

But it gets better. This time he keeps the shirt, the club challenge for promotion and he goes on to set a record for the number of clean sheets. And then to cap the lot he scores a goal, and what's more it's an absolutely vital one in the last minute (editor's note: most goals scored by keepers are probably in the last minute).

Even if a better keeper is recruited in the summer, for the rest of his life Ben Wilson will always have season 2022-23 and Blackburn away to tell his family about.

That's the just reward for quiet loyalty, and one way or another he will definitely have a few more years on decent wages.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

Although in his late 20's, before coming to us he had only played about 50 first team games . He was always just a loyal bench warmer. The loyal bit is very important. He kept up that role with us by being 2nd fiddle to Marosi. Marosi was not up to Championship standard so Wilson earned a few first team games at the end of 20-21, but was promptly usurped by the aquisition of a new 1st choice, Simon Moore.

Wilson went back to being loyal bench warmer. But he gets a second chance when Moore commits some real (and expensive) howlers. So suddenly at a relatively late age Ben Wilson gets the thing he has probably been craving for well over a decade - 1st team football, at a very high standard in front of big crowds. There must have been many times when he thought he would never get his chance to experience that.

But it gets better. This time he keeps the shirt, the club challenge for promotion and he goes on to set a record for the number of clean sheets. And then to cap the lot he scores a goal, and what's more it's an absolutely vital one in the last minute (editor's note: most goals scored by keepers are probably in the last minute).

Even if a better keeper is recruited in the summer, for the rest of his life Ben Wilson will always have season 2022-23 and Blackburn away to tell his family about.

That's the just reward for quiet loyalty, and one way or another he will definetely have a few more years on decent wages.
Let's not forget he was outstanding at QPR too. Two vital saves and if either had gone in it could gave been a very different game.

Sky Blue Pete

That's the just reward for quiet loyalty, and one way or another he will definitely have a few more years on decent wages.
Yep

SkyBlueScottie

That is not entirely accurate, and I normally wouldnt say so, but I was astonished by what he said himself at the Fans Forum. He told the room that he had never been a number 1 keeper due to the mental aspect of the game and he couldnt cope with the pressure of being a number 1 keeper. He actually saod playing on the Saturday was the worst thing for him, and it was only the fact he played a few games during Covid that he finally settled down, spoke with Robins and asked what he needed to do, to become our number 1.

Sbarcher

Decent summation, thanks Ben’s dad.

Terry_dactyl

Nicely summed up. Although I suspect the one thing Ben Wilson is not, is quiet.

JulianDarbyFTW

Just realised that Ben Wilson has won the Golden Glove now. It doesn't include playoff games according to wiki, so at best Luton's keeper can equal it and they share the award.

The Philosopher

Just realised that Ben Wilson has won the Golden Glove now. It doesn't include playoff games according to wiki, so at best Luton's keeper can equal it and they share the award.
Good spot.

Didn’t realise.

Gotta love Wilson. On all the “Sky Blues Unseen” vids he’s constantly smiling and buzzing - just what we need in the club as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread