Grounded (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

I know I willl probably be in he minority on this one however.......

I felt we needed 4 signings of reasonable league one standard to stay up. I felt we needed at least 7 signings to have a play offs bid.

This was before bigi went. Which I admit has surprised me.

We have signed 5 players.

The quality of which is a bit of a step into the unknown

Kilbane you know what you will get and it will be quality.

Fleck bags of potential however 2 question marks his performances for Blackpool and how did we get him. If he is that good and free.

Elliott you know the quality, however worrying injury record and already injured.

Malaga looked good against Hinkley could be awesome, poor or average league one standard.

Edge same as Malaga.

So at the moment If we only sign these, I am happy we will stay up. If the unknowns do what their potential suggests. With a limited squad we still may scrape the playoffs.

However sign a striker or two and a creative midfielder and I would be very dissapointed if we did not make the play offs.

On a seperate note I hope these friendlies will soon be about getting our senior pros match fit.

The Reverend Skyblue

I agree, most of the above

Regarding the senior pros, has'nt someone said on here that Bell is already injured, and has been left behind the Scottish trip to try and get over this. I may have dreamt this though, but if he's already crooked there is no way he'll be available for the start. is there not some side out there to buy him off us, which will free up his wages so we can spend on some young hopeful

Get jennings to sign and another good forward, and i think min would be play-offs

The Rev

Last edited:

brinner

agree with most of that dong, think the senior players will get minutes under their belts tonight.

looking forward to see how Bill and Kev do against some decent strikers, hopefully we have signed 2 good replacements for Keogh and Cranie.

Still want to see Jennings signed plus a pacey wide man and a big man up top.

dongonzalos

Possibly Bell Elliot Murphy Christie Cameron Cody Deegan Jennings (trial) either injured, carrying a knock or behind in fitness already. Considering the season has not started yet, this shows why depth in the squad will be vital.

Last edited:

stupot07

I agree, most of the above

Regarding the senior pros, has'nt someone said on here that Bell is already injured, and has been left behind the Scottish trip to try and get over this. I may have dreamt this though, but if he's already crooked there is no way he'll be available for the start. is there not some side out there to buy him off us, which will free up his wages so we can spend on some young hopeful

Get jennings to sign and another good forward, and i think min would be play-offs

The Rev

Bell had an op just after the season ended which he why he's not fit yet.

Bell is at lilleshall for a weeks rehab. Won't be ready for the season kickoff. A target man and a winger Yes please but realistically AT will get a striker god knows who and loan some other attacking options .

gzuz87

I can't see why all of you think we are going to struggle this year. I know that League One is a new league for us all but i can guarantee that the quality in this league is not going to be half as good as the Championship. I feel we need some goals added to the squad and I think we are going to have a successful year and who knows maybe even ending up with something to celebrate at the end of it.

dongonzalos

I can't see why all of you think we are going to struggle this year. I know that League One is a new league for us all but i can guarantee that the quality in this league is not going to be half as good as the Championship. I feel we need some goals added to the squad and I think we are going to have a successful year and who knows maybe even ending up with something to celebrate at the end of it.

Thats pretty much what everyone has said above, couple of strikers and attacking midfielder needed and we will have success

dongonzalos

Ross county have done the grounding. May cool a few people's idea about winning the league, on the back of 5 signings in and 7 out. Hopefully puts a bit more emphasise on those three more signings.

Last edited:

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Ross county have done the grounding. May cool a few people's idea about winning the league, on the back of 5 signings in and 7 out. Hopefully puts a bit more emphasise on those thre more signings.

I still think we stand a chance of winning the league, in line with the bookie's assessment.

It's hard to use the word 'we' in relation to pre-season games. Who's 'we'? The kids who started against Hinckley? The mixed bag from last night? Tonight's mixed bag? We shall not truly know until the signings are completed, fitness games such as this evenings' bagged and unfit players returned

Grendel

The notion that we would even consider bottom half as anything but under achievement is pie in the sky. If we are in 12th or below after a few games I may be suggesting a change of manager and I don't think I will be in the minority.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The notion that we would even consider bottom half as anything but under achievement is pie in the sky. If we are in 12th or below after a few games I may be suggesting a change of manager and I don't think I will be in the minority.

Yet again - and I hate myself for going here - I concur

Grendel

Yet again - and I hate myself for going here - I concur

The one reservation I still have is goals. That needs to improve and we need an addition there. Goalkeeper, defence and midfield have to be stronger than the average team in this league. The management team also had been strengthened with people looking to prove themselves.

We have to be a top 6 at least surely?

dongonzalos

How may you be suggesting something you are already suggesting ;)

Grendel

How may you be suggesting something you are already suggesting ;)

Well I said I will refrain until we see how it goes. We should achieve enough to keep him safe but my suspicion is he will not handle pressure at all well and this season there will be real pressure to achieve.

dongonzalos

Well I said I will refrain until we see how it goes. We should achieve enough to keep him safe but my suspicion is he will not handle pressure at all well and this season there will be real pressure to achieve.

Fair comment, just hope you are wrong. Would be frustrating to waste a season after SISU spend a bit on wages they may bottle it again after this!

Grendel

SkyblueBazza

Lol...what a difference a day makes.

Just be quietly & confidently optimistic. Change on such a scale as we've made, always produces a mixed result in any profession/industry. We will probably not see the true result of these changes for 10-15 L1 games. Patience from US & SISU will be needed for up to 20 games before sackings IMO. Let everything bed down. Look at Reading last season - seemed to come on extremely strong in the last quarter & win through.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Grendel, I'm giving it 10 games to see how Thorn does. If its not a good start, I can see him getting the boot or at least reinstated as scout (as I think he deserves that much with some of the shite he's had to work with as manager) and get a new guy in.

I'd like to see Shaw or Carsley given a go, but I feel with any bad start, we won't have time to be giving things a trial "to see how they go" as they say

sky blue john

If any of you still think or expect play offs or better.
Dont under estimate the league we are in !!
Stevenage only got beat 2-0 by a strong spurs side tonight.

Grendel

If any of you still think or expect play offs or better.
Dont under estimate the league we are in !!
Stevenage only got beat 2-0 by a strong spurs side tonight.

Sorry to disappoint but that is exactly what we should expect

covcity4life

Lol...what a difference a day makes.

tell me about it!

all these people trying to say how deluded fans are for thinking we will win the league are just as bad if not worse for thinking one pre season loss means we wills truggle

it was many players second game in 24 hours, the energy just wouldnt have been there but they will be fitter for it which is the aim no doubt

ross county are SPL now which could argue is lower championship/league 1 level, if we are 0-0 for 88 mins with a l1 side when its our second game in 24 hours would so many people complain then?

lets rest up and then see if we can ge tback to winning ways over a scottish Spl team and then we will have a slightly better idea of where we stand.

Last edited:

thechase

Ross county and inverness are 2 weeks ahead of us in pre season as their season beings on the 4th. I didnt expect a victory and expected a hard fought game against a side likely to be fitter at this stage. The real indicators will be the 3 games against league 2 sides at the end of pre season.

Ross county and inverness are 2 weeks ahead of us in pre season as their season beings on the 4th. I didnt expect a victory and expected a hard fought game against a side likely to be fitter at this stage. The real indicators will be the 3 games against league 2 sides at the end of pre season.

exactly and apparently Ross Cunty have just been promoted and haven't lost a game in ages so have that in their favour a better test will be Cally tittle who according to their fans are rubbish, we'll see when saturday comes !!

Il Pirata

Like pre season results matter for anything anyway, especially when we are still constructing a team.

tippex9

Apparently pre-season results only matter if you lose.... :/

skyblueman

The sooner we get this pre-season nonsense out of the way the better - it's like England friendlies bloody pointless

Users who are viewing this thread