Ground to big for Rugby (1 Viewer)

Macca1987

Morning all
Been a reader for years but first post so treat me gently. CCFC fan for many years like most on here and got to the stage where all the sound bites coming out about new stadium etc got me finally to do something.
Like a lot of others I work near BPA and cannot see a 23/25 k stadium being built, so I wrote to Jon Sharp asking about plans or drawings (not really expecting a reply) but I received one, he confirmed that artistic impressions etc had been drawn up but stated that any ground of the size Tim Fisher was talking about would be way too big for CRFC, he then went on to say he would be making no further comment at this moment in time, I know BPA has been done to death on here but it confirmed my thoughts that it would never happen for the size TF is alluding to

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Welcome Macca. Great post. I wonder if TF has ever thought about a new stadium ;)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Morning all
Been a reader for years but first post so treat me gently. CCFC fan for many years like most on here and got to the stage where all the sound bites coming out about new stadium etc got me finally to do something.
Like a lot of others I work near BPA and cannot see a 23/25 k stadium being built, so I wrote to Jon Sharp asking about plans or drawings (not really expecting a reply) but I received one, he confirmed that artistic impressions etc had been drawn up but stated that any ground of the size Tim Fisher was talking about would be way too big for CRFC, he then went on to say he would be making no further comment at this moment in time, I know BPA has been done to death on here but it confirmed my thoughts that it would never happen for the size TF is alluding to
Welcome Macca1987. I hope you're thick Skinned. ;)

Captain Dart

I think the real issue here is that Cov do not have finance and are only dabbling with Fisher because he is talking about getting the money.

However I do not believe that SISU or Fisher will ever come up with the sort of money required (£20-25M).

I think if Sharp and his co-investors build anything it will be a stand at the car park end with built in retail/residential/leisure which will increase the capacity and provide the club with an income to support its sporting activities. Further development would take place in later phases as and when finance/funds become available.

That sort of development could be done for £7-8M and 'feels' more feasible because a lot of the cost could be covered by leasing the residential units at c.£150K each, with 30 units you are well on the way to covering the build costs.

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

Macca1987, welcome.

Another new comer who has been reading for years but not commented and when they do, it's not on match threads, injury news, signings etc.?

Sorry mate, I'm just a little sceptical. Welcome anyway...

Macca1987

Can understand weeman, it was just something that got my goat (prepares for the backlash of animal remarks) but I am genuine and will hopefully take the time now that I'm no longer a virgin poster to comment on all things Sky Blue

Nick

Administrator
Can understand weeman, it was just something that got my goat (prepares for the backlash of animal remarks) but I am genuine and will hopefully take the time now that I'm no longer a virgin poster to comment on all things Sky Blue

I think Sharp has said before about it being too big didn't he?

Welcome to the site ;)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Come from Holbrooks so need to be very thick skinned
Born in Tile Hill, Standard Avenue to be precise . Then my parents moved to Green Lane, Kempas Highway ,
When I was a kid. Not far from the Burnt Post, posher area well it was then. PUSB. ;)

Gint11

Pause on stadium size for 1 second, the current infrastructure wouldn't cope either.

dongonzalos

How much could you sell CCFC for if it was in a 10-11k capacity stadium. Either in division 3 or 4 making a profit not a loss. As part of a multi functional facility. That is making money from some shops and student accommodation.
Or
if you didn't sell it and your investment portfolio included very long term investments. Could you just manage it making year on year profits?

I can't help but think it was all about 12k, 13k capacities with the "potential to rise to 23k". When the idea was possible.

Now the idea is dead in the water it's seems to be the council are blocking a 25k stadium.

Liquid Gold

if it was a 10k seater we could move there for a couple years till wasps go bust and then we could pick up the ricoh again.

CCC probably have an nfl team or something lined up instead though.

shy_tall_knight

CCFC at the BPA won't happen
1- Cov Rugby don't want a big stadium
2 - Not feasible to build a big stadium at a reasonable price on such a small plot
3- CCC will not actively support it
4 - Local infracstructure couldn't cope with large crowds
5 - We are owned by SISU

Otis

Always said (like many others) it would never happen and of course this is a very valid point. This would be a joint venture, not uniquely a Coventry City stadium, so it has to be acceptable and workable for Cov rugby especially.

This is one bit of fear I have. I don't believe it will ever be built anyway with CCFC in mind, but I do worry that we are as a club might well wither away and shrink and shrink as a club until the Butts at 3,000 will be absolutely ideal for us.

I do hope Cov do expand mind. I hope they build a 10,000 seater stadium and challenge Wasps for supremacy in this city of ours.

shmmeee

Who told you about the Coventry Jaguars

Shhh, they told us at the meeting to keep Coventry: City of Egg Chasers to ourselves!

Now Sisu will scupper us by moving out of Coventry to a local authority that doesn't put egg chasing first, like Rugby.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I do think that the Ricoh is far too big for wasps. They get far lower crowds than we would in the Championship. Time will tell if they can carry this through long term.

Hugh Jarse

CCFC at the BPA won't happen
1- Cov Rugby don't want a big stadium
2 - Not feasible to build a big stadium at a reasonable price on such a small plot
3- CCC will not actively support it
4 - Local infracstructure couldn't cope with large crowds
5 - We are owned by SISU

Points 2 and 4 are the real biggies, Spon End is a disaster at the best of times, can you imagine what it will be like on match day?

Captain Dart

I do think that the Ricoh is far too big for wasps. They get far lower crowds than we would in the Championship. Time will tell if they can carry this through long term.
Agreed, its too big for most matches, the Rugby bods will fill it when they have internationals and City would fill it for cup-semi/run up to play-offs, but those events are few and far between.

ccfcway

Agreed, its too big for most matches, the Rugby bods will fill it when they have internationals and City would fill it for cup-semi/run up to play-offs, but those events are few and far between.

What about when Chelsea come to town, full house then ;)

skybluetony176

So. If this turns out to be true does that mean we'll have to add CRFC to the list of organisations conspiring against CCFC and it's blameless owners? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread