Grimsby Town (1 Viewer)

Gleneagles65

What a story! When was the last time a 4th tier team made the quarters? Magic of the FA cup is still alive and well after all.

slowpoke

Remember playing Grimsby in the cup back in the 70s at HR half of Grimsby must have come down, thousands of them. They were a bit unlucky we struggled to beat them with a last minute penalty.

Johhny Blue

Remember playing Grimsby in the cup back in the 70s at HR half of Grimsby must have come down, thousands of them. They were a bit unlucky we struggled to beat them with a last minute penalty.
Mick Coop 86 th minute. I was right behind the goal (with what seemed like 50,000 Grimsby fans.)

Calista

I was on the Kop that day. One of the most embarrassing CCFC performances I've ever seen.

Sky Blue Harry H

Was at that - they had loads of those inflatable haddocks that day, too. Big crowd iirc.

Sky Blue Harry H

I thought the inflatable haddock was a new thing for them in the late 1980s, they definitely had them when we played them in league cup 2nd leg in 88 or 89

Might be me misremembering it. Was definitely at the game. and remember there being lots of Grimsby and a big crowd. The fish - I might have been talking cod swallop! (or pollocks, if you prefer)

Edit - yep - google says it was around the time of the league cup clash in 1989 they were about. (scary that the FA Cup tie was in 1973) I was probably remembering the haddock from the later tie.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

The only Grimsby encounter I remember besides that in League 2 was in the 01/02 season with Magnus Hedman running a ridiculous distance out of his goal and Phil Jevons scoring from 30-40 yards into the open goal. We lost 1-0 and Strachan went afterwards.

TomRad85

The only Grimsby encounter I remember besides that in League 2 was in the 01/02 season with Magnus Hedman running a ridiculous distance out of his goal and Phil Jevons scoring from 30-40 yards into the open goal. We lost 1-0 and Strachan went afterwards.
I remember this well. The only other one that sticks in my mind, and I had to Google the season, was a 2-0 away win in 02/03. I remembered it as it was our only win for pretty much half a season, was the season we completely and utterly fell to pieces.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

I remember this well. The only other one that sticks in my mind, and I had to Google the season, was a 2-0 away win in 02/03. I remembered it as it was our only win for pretty much half a season, was the season we completely and utterly fell to pieces.

I pretty much only remember the goal and the baying for Strachan's blood at the final whistle. First time I'd heard 'wanker' at the football-so that's 3 things I remember

clint van damme

I pretty much only remember the goal and the baying for Strachan's blood at the final whistle. First time I'd heard 'wanker' at the football-so that's 3 things I remember

We battered them, forgive the pun, and they scored with one of only acouple of chances.

TomRad85

Yeh it was absolutely poisonous. We obviously came down with expectations and had an opening day win but then lost to Wolves, Bradford and Grimsby. Absolute shit show really.

hill83

ConsiderateDigitalIcelandichorse-max-1mb.gif

baldy

I was at the game in 2002 when we won 3-2 at Highfield Road - I remember the ball ending up being stuck under my seat & McAllister screaming at me to ‘pass the ball,pass the ball’ & when I eventually managed to retrieve it from under the seat,my throw was shit & the ball ended up being chucked nowhere near him & he just shook his head in disgust 🤣

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Our only win after Christmas and we needed an own goal and a penalty to do it. I think it demonstrates the psychological damage done by following City that this is the kind of shit my brain has filed as 'important'.

fernandopartridge

Our only win after Christmas and we needed an own goal and a penalty to do it. I think it demonstrates the psychological damage done by following City that this is the kind of shit my brain has filed as 'important'.

I remember it being a bad run but just realised how bad it was, 1 win in 21 league games. It is amazing that McAllister kept his job really.

NorthernWisdom

I remember it being a bad run but just realised how bad it was, 1 win in 21 league games. It is amazing that McAllister kept his job really.
We were playing 16yos and a goalkeeper who decided a couple of years later he was better at cricket, tbf to him.

That was McGinnity and Robinson's internal administration - don't play the first teamers because we couldn't afford the appearance fees!

We were playing 16yos and a goalkeeper who decided a couple of years later he was better at cricket, tbf to him.

That was McGinnity and Robinson's internal administration - don't play the first teamers because we couldn't afford the appearance fees!

Bloody hell, i didn't realise it was that grim behind the scenes!

Yeah, in a similar vein id forgotten how high up the table we were in the first season down prior to that run at the end, 8 defeats in 11 games. Seems we quite liked a complete implosion.

Terry Gibson's perm

I remember going to a game at Grimsby away took my then girlfriend (a Villa fan) anti Villa songs all game she hated it somehow we still got married and she still doesn’t like me much.

Finham

Users who are viewing this thread