Grimmest places watching City (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

The last few years of holidaying in the lower leagues has been great for racking up the numbers of forgettable places visited:

Doncaster - near the Keepmoat there are some streets near the ground where have the street has been demolished and people are still living in the other half. Some bloke advertised a pub on here or GMK, I'm led to believe it was a complete and utter hole. He made it sound quite idyllic to be fair to him.

Where are the biggest dumps you've been to to watch City? (Northampton answers do not apply)

SuperFred

Luton, having to go through someones back garden to get into the away end was an experience. Absolute shit hole

ampthill_sba

Without a doubt - Oldham is the worst place, it's really grim! The pies however were amazing!

At the other end of the scale was Bournemouth which is such an upmarket area around the ground.

Worst ground to watch a match so far this season: Kingstonian's ground...the view from the away terrace was awful.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Northampton- in the FA-CUP 20+ odd years ago--dreadful place then....

Plymouth- back in the 90's we won 3-1 as I recall...... not great....albeit we only had 10 men..:)

Last edited:

Samo

The last few years of holidaying in the lower leagues has been great for racking up the numbers of forgettable places visited:

Doncaster - near the Keepmoat there are some streets near the ground where have the street has been demolished and people are still living in the other half. Some bloke advertised a pub on here or GMK, I'm led to believe it was a complete and utter hole. He made it sound quite idyllic to be fair to him.

Where are the biggest dumps you've been to to watch City? (Northampton answers do not apply)

Oldham in the early 80's (shudder)

skybluetony176

any "home" game at sixfields must be the obvious answer.

nothing to do with the quality of play. just the fact that we are being held there for ransom.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Without a doubt - Oldham is the worst place, it's really grim! The pies however were amazing!

At the other end of the scale was Bournemouth which is such an upmarket area around the ground.

Worst ground to watch a match so far this season: Kingstonian's ground...the view from the away terrace was awful.

I agree with a lot of recent postings.

Luton,terrible in away game 1982. Also lived there briefly in 2007. I visited Kenilworth road then too, not changed a bit. I lived near the ground too, really mixed place in terms of ethnic ancestry.

Oldham, my mum was from there and I have to stick up for it. I do agree it's not exactly Paris. I too was at Oldham FA cup game in 1980. That was scary. Recently went to Oldham FA Cup game v wolves three weeks ago . The pie I had was appalling quality and should never have been sold to the public.

Northampton. Yes awful place, I worked there for 6 years so I do have some knowledge. The game in 1990 away was a terrible day performance wise and it rained too. I did go to a pre season friendly in 95 at Sixfields. Terrible stadium. No idea why anyone would go there.

Maine road was a grim place.

covmark

any "home" game at sixfields must be the obvious answer.

nothing to do with the quality of play. just the fact that we are being held there for ransom.

Not one thread can go by without the same old crap.

In answer to the op. Fratton Park is a proper dump. Shit ground and a shit hole area.

fernandopartridge

I agree with a lot of recent postings.

Luton,terrible in away game 1982. Also lived there briefly in 2007. I visited Kenilworth road then too, not changed a bit. I lived near the ground too, really mixed place in terms of ethnic ancestry.

Oldham, my mum was from there and I have to stick up for it. I do agree it's not exactly Paris. I too was at Oldham FA cup game in 1980. That was scary. Recently went to Oldham FA Cup game v wolves three weeks ago . The pie I had was appalling quality and should never have been sold to the public.

Northampton. Yes awful place, I worked there for 6 years so I do have some knowledge. The game in 1990 away was a terrible day performance wise and it rained too. I did go to a pre season friendly in 95 at Sixfields. Terrible stadium. No idea why anyone would go there.

Maine road was a grim place.

In general inner city areas around grounds are grim, although it adds character really.

I went to the Withdean in Brighton which was in an area more at home to games of lawn tennis or polo. It was crap.

Samo

In general inner city areas around grounds are grim, although it adds character really.

I went to the Withdean in Brighton which was in an area more at home to games of lawn tennis or polo. It was crap.

Yep, area surrounding HR was hardly Mayfair!

covmark

Ha, did you get Pimms and foie gras at half time instead of your pie and Bovril?

skybluetony176

Not one thread can go by without the same old crap.

In answer to the op. Fratton Park is a proper dump. Shit ground and a shit hole area.

it was a genuine answer to a genuine question. it's not my fault its true and the situation is what's crap, not the reply.

Steve.B50

Selhurst Park - when Wimbledon used to play there. Makes Sixfields look like the Maracana

Agreed that was a cold grim place, but to me the Victoria Ground at Stoke was bad, saying that there hew ground although better is a very cold place to go.

fernandopartridge

It's more about around the ground. Selhurst Park isn't too bad.

For me Tottenham is the biggest hole in London followed by West Ham and then Millwall.

skybluetony176

The question was the grimmest place you've watched City play. You've blown your cover.

clearly ;). no,I've seen it from the hill & i did get a free corporate to watch NTFC many years ago, its a dull lifeless place (regardless of who's playing their) and i cant believe that anyone gets seriously excited about going there, whether that be NTFC fans or CCFC fans. especially the latter considering the circumstances that lead us their.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Gillingham. Terrible ground, terrible place

I remember going to Gillingham for an evening cup game in the 90's. What a dump! What made it worse was, there were four of us (big lads!) all squashed into a Fiat Cinquecento - about the size of a very small Mini. I was in the back (last to be picked up), with knees up to me chin, and to make matters worse the driver took the wrong turn going back home and we ended up heading south again on the M25. If I remember, we only held them to a draw as well? What a night! Got back home at about 4am!

oscillatewildly

Vetchfield early 1980's. Grim surroundings, wooden columns holding the stand up above our heads on the visitors terrace and lighting delivered by, if I remember correctly, Davy lamps.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Brighton away FA cup 2006 at the Withdean. Shat it down all day in the uncovered temporary stand 50 yards away from the pitch behind the athletics track. GRIM

sky_blue_up_north

Luton, having to go through someones back garden to get into the away end was an experience. Absolute shit hole

I have to agree one the worst grounds I've ever been to. At total dump, and that been kind to the dump...

ohitsaidwalker king power

I remember going to Gillingham for an evening cup game in the 90's. What a dump! What made it worse was, there were four of us (big lads!) all squashed into a Fiat Cinquecento - about the size of a very small Mini. I was in the back (last to be picked up), with knees up to me chin, and to make matters worse the driver took the wrong turn going back home and we ended up heading south again on the M25. If I remember, we only held them to a draw as well? What a night! Got back home at about 4am!

and yet... you recall it with such affection Houch!!!- Grim at the time maybe.. but happy days actually.
We've all had them... Northampton in the cup, Plymouth away, Selhurst Park(Wimbledon) as mentioned before...terrible, terrible journeys, grim weather, often a poor result....but more than often; great company, a few beers and a good rattle with the lads... I wouldnt change any of it!!

Grendel

Along with a few others Luton was the first place that came to mind. Boundary park and Milmoor were pretty dire as well.

Users who are viewing this thread