greg clarke interveiw on cwr after 7 this morning (2 Viewers)

Sub

just heard a snippet where he says we do not relise how close we came to having no football club thats why he agreed the move to northampton:thinking about:
and can not guarantee they will ever return to the city!! its the same fucking thing if we move out of the city forever we will not be CCFC anymore!!

Last edited:

ohitsaidwalker king power

Its a constant theme of the FA's.....why were we so close might be a more searching question, and why did the football league allow things to progress this far as guardians of the game?

Sub

a few notes from the interveiw for those that didnt hear it try to get as much down as possible while i listen to it.

legally bound to work with administrator, will not break the law, had to work within frame work set out by administrator, second most important thing club back in city most important thing to keep club alive,
must not do anything to put club out of business, looks like club not being supported, understand fans outraged , working behind the sceen to get football back to coventry,
no powers to get club back in city, we have a bond to say club has to come back to coventry could be in city or outside of the city legal threats from both sides, 1mm outside of law we will be taken to court,

people aserting their rights as indepentant companies, need to find sensible comprermise, coventry in a really bad place, thought there will be no coventry sailed close to the wind. day before season choice say no not complete fixtures ccfc would be gone, football leauge working hard to keep ccfc alive.

full interveiw on after 9

Last edited:

Sub

Football League chief: Stay-away fans can't force Sisu out of Coventry City

16 Aug 2013 06:45League chairman Greg Clarke insists Sky Blues owners have funds to cope with tens of million of pounds in combined losses during Northampton stay and the costs of a new stadium

Share on printShare on email

< /body>

BP1336575-Medium-5738914.jpg
Greg Clarke

Football League chairman Greg Clarke insists Sky Blues’ owners have the money to continue running the football club “for years to come”.
His words will be unpopular with many campaigning “Not One Penny More” fans hoping further financial distress from the club playing ‘home’ games at Northampton will force Otium/Sisu to sell.

In an interview with the Telegraph, Mr Clarke also insisted the League was powerless in law to intervene in the dispute between the Ricoh Arena and Coventry City.
He re-iterated he did not know if the club’s owners Otium/Sisu will ever build a new stadium in the Coventry area within five years – a supposed League condition of groundshare approval.
But, while stating if he was a fan he would also be “marching” in protest, he challenged fans’ assumptions about Football League rules – which ultimately give the League’s board “discretion” over approving any groundshare.

Challenged over precisely what evidence of Otium’s “proof of funds” the League’s board was satisfied with when sanctioning the Northampton groundshare, he said he would have to ask the League’s financial team – and the Telegraph will continue to seek answers on fans’ behalf.

Sky Blues boss Tim Fisher claimed this week the club had shown the League proof of funds for the cash/equity part of the total costs of building a stadium (potentially more than £10million for a £25m stadium, with the rest borrowed); that Otium had been “recapitalised” by Sisu-related Cayman Islands-based hedge fund Arvo Master Fund; and that the company could fund the club’s losses while groundsharing.

PM1834667MR071211CCFC-06-3408276.jpg
Coventry City chief executive Tim Fisher Grilled over the evidence the club had provided, Mr Clarke said: “Sisu Capital have the assets to run this football club for as long as they want to. They are not short of money.”
Challenged to be more specific about the proof, he said: “I don’t know. It’s not my job to check the evidence.”

Instead, Mr Clarke said it was the League’s financial team’s job to advise the board, having examined assets, guarantees, cash available and lines of credit.
He said: “One of the first things the board discusses is, ‘Has the potential purchaser the assets, cash and credit available and a business plan that stacks up to ensure the business can survive in the long term?”

Pressed further over the level of funds proven for a stadium, Mr Clarke accepted: “I don’t know, because I don’t how anyone could know how a hypothetical stadium could be funded. You would have to get specific proposals in place for the Football League to evaluate them.”

Fans' Zone: A letter to the Football League
He added: “We’ve seen targets... areas and opportunities they are considering to develop a stadium.
“Until they finalise which one and come up with a fully drafted business plan, it is impossible for us to go through it.”
He insisted the League would demand phased evidence over time of progress on a new stadium in the Coventry area, for which a £1m bond – or ‘I owe you’ – was in place should Otium break that commitment.

Football League regulation 13.8 states: “The club must disclose, as soon as practicable, plans and details of any proposed future move to a new stadium.”
Mr Clarke would not say if the League could ultimately withdraw from Otium/Sisu the crucial “golden share” enabling Coventry City to play if it defaulted on plans for a new stadium – until he had “checked with the League’s lawyers”.

He said to pre-judge sanctions might prejudice any potential legal proceedings, resulting in a “judgement set aside by the courts”.
But the former Leicester City programme seller, who rose to become chief executive of Cable and Wireless Communications Plc, added: “The board always applies pressure to ensure commitments are met.

“There is a set of circumstances which would result in them losing their bond if there is a breach.
“We want to see people developing sites and coming up with firm proposals.
“If they show progress and that they are moving in good faith, we will show tolerance. If not, we will get more aggressive.”

He denied £1m was a small amount of money for a company he insisted had the means to fund tens of million of pounds in combined losses and the capital costs of a new stadium.
Mr Clarke said the League would continue with its efforts – stated on August 3 when it awarded the golden share to Otium – to get the the club and part-Coventry City Council owned Ricoh firm Arena Coventry Limited to “enter into meaningful negotiations”.
But he conceded that would have to rely on “goodwill” from both sides.

Mr Clarke said: “We’re trying to generate goodwill. Hopefully commercial reality will overcome bad blood and both sides can be hailed as heroes.”
But he added: “We have to act within the law. We cannot impose a solution on two entities.”

Mr Clarke added he once said to a Parliamentary select committee: “Why are you beating us up for the laws you made?”
He continued: “The Football League has never made a law. If the Companies Act allows complex ownership structures, who are we to argue?”
He said keeping Coventry City afloat while groundsharing 35 miles away was the “lesser of two evils” than potentially forcing its extinction.

Last edited:

skyblueiom

Absolute disgrace, sometimes this country is no better than the likes of Russia, money talks and this spineless outfit have reduced football to the plaything of the filthy rich.

The only positive I can take is that I dont for one minute think the scum that have ruined the club will continue to lose money at this rate. They certainly cant risk more investors money into this, and what future does the club under their ownership have? Theyre certainly not going to be able to turn a profit or even break even in the next 10 years at least, and nobody will pay up for the club - so we can starve them out if we keep up the pressure. Even the most stubborn wont keep throwing good money after bad when there is absolutely ZERO chance of any sort of return.

Utterly disgusting.

Sky Blues

If Mr Clarke is saying, on the one hand, Sisu have the money to keep running the football club for years to come but, on the other hand, is also saying that the option was groundshare or extinction, then doesn't that make the obvious conclusion we can draw seem to be that Sisu told the league: "Let us move or we will close the club"?

SIR ERNIE

For me the main thing that came out of the radio interview on CWR was the revelation from Clarke that the FL had been told that if they step just one millimeter out of line then they would have legal people all over them. When asked 'So you're being bullied' he said well no, both sides are just exerting their legal rights.

My clear impression from this point was that the FA really don't have the stomach to get involved in this. They're scared stiff and they just want someone to sort it out as long as it's not them.

Too many references to 'compromise' for my liking.

So in other words, Carry on SISU.

Last edited:

Sub

FL have signed the death warrant of the club, they do not know if they will move back into the city :thinking about:well thats it then if the club is not in the city its no longer CCFC. another club being started in coventry might be the only forward after reading that statement, not what i wanted to agree with but i am moving more towarwds this idea:(

orig skyblue87

RAGING aint the word, wish id have stopped in bed, after listening to that. At one point he wasnt sure of his own rules!!

Full interview on at 9am

SIR ERNIE

RAGING aint the word, wish id have stopped in bed, after listening to that. At one point he wasnt sure of his own rules!!

Full interview on at 9am

feel exactly the same. FL are just paying lip service to their responsibilities. They're very reluctant to get too deep into this.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Surprised that no one has mentioned the other related news story - about the 6 million jellyfish that have launched a class action for slander after they heard someone describe the Football League as "spineless".

Sub

still waffeling his shit on CWR now about legal and can n ot say certain things

Sub

future for ccfc - clarke if football leauge stay on good terms with sisu and ACL - we will try to broker deal to get club back to the city

Manchester_sky_blue

Who is this arsehole to decide for us that it was better to keep the club "alive" at all costs rather than reject the groundshare with Northampton? I bet if you had asked the majority of fans they would have said they would sooner see the club dissolved than playing outside of the city. It they never come back to Cov then it amounts to the same thing, they are no longer CCFC and the club is dead to us the fans.

No doubt when the 3 seasons in Northampton are up Fisher will blame the FL for not being able to return to Cov, the FL will blame Fisher or else just say they are "powerless" and that'll be that.

:raging:

RegTheDonk

Absolute nob end ... he reckons if they hadn't allowed ground share then they couldn't issue the GS and the club would have ceased to exist? Cobblers!

SISU won't allow that to happen they'd have nothing to sell and lose the lost. If the FL told them they had to do a deal with ACL so CCFC played in Cov then they would.

SISU did what they do best - threaten to press the nuke button (a la Fisher "liquidate") to scare the opposition. And the FL blinked first.

Voice_of_Reason

I still feel, as I always have done, that the Administrator should not have opted for Otium as the preferred bidder. The Football League HAS to work with the "preferred bidder". This has a long way to run... once the liquidation is presented to a High Court Judge for approval then, and only then, will the shit hit the fan as ACL mounts a legal challenge and a full investigation takes place.

skybluericoh

future for ccfc - clarke if football leauge stay on good terms with sisu and ACL - we will try to broker deal to get club back to the city
There is no future, NOPM, not even away games for me now. The more this goes on the worse it gets. I'm going to find a different interest to spend my money on I think. It is just so wrong that off the field has far more interest than on it. Those that go to sixfields,, while I will not call them names etc and will always respect their choice, but I just cannot understand it, probably a bit like my wife doesn't understand the off side rule.

colin101

Quote :'Sky Blues boss Tim Fisher claimed this week the club had shown the League proof of funds for the cash/equity part of the total costs of building a stadium (potentially more than £10million for a £25m stadium, with the rest borrowed); that Otium had been “recapitalised” by Sisu-related Cayman Islands-based hedge fund Arvo Master Fund; and that the company could fund the club’s losses while groundsharing'.

So does this mean the leagues Financial fair play rules don't apply to SISU?

SIR ERNIE

I still feel, as I always have done, that the Administrator should not have opted for Otium as the preferred bidder. The Football League HAS to work with the "preferred bidder". This has a long way to run... once the liquidation is presented to a High Court Judge for approval then, and only then, will the shit hit the fan as ACL mounts a legal challenge and a full investigation takes place.

yes, that's becoming my main hope VOR. And associated with your point, there should not have been a 'bidder' anyway as the matter involved a liquidation, not a sale.

bigfatronssba

Any reservations about getting behind a phoenix club have now gone for me.

Sub

just completly shocked and i can not believe why clarke thought we would go out of existance when there was more than one bidder for the club, haskle would of been a better option for keeping us in our home city why did he not explore this route or ask questions of the administrator :thinking about: thats right all the legal threats, spinelss completly spineless :(

st john

Absolute nob end ... he reckons if they hadn't allowed ground share then they couldn't issue the GS and the club would have ceased to exist? Cobblers!

SISU won't allow that to happen they'd have nothing to sell and lose the lost. If the FL told them they had to do a deal with ACL so CCFC played in Cov then they would.

SISU did what they do best - threaten to press the nuke button (a la Fisher "liquidate") to scare the opposition. And the FL blinked first.

And the timeline was very convenient for Sisu, with the admin meetings postponed several times so that the final meeting took place the day before the start of the season, and the subsequent threat of liquidation giving no time for the FL to consider it.

skybluebeduff

Football League chief: Stay-away fans can't force Sisu out of Coventry City

16 Aug 2013 06:45League chairman Greg Clarke insists Sky Blues owners have funds to cope with tens of million of pounds in combined losses during Northampton stay and the costs of a new stadium

Share on printShare on email

< /body>

BP1336575-Medium-5738914.jpg
Greg Clarke

Football League chairman Greg Clarke insists Sky Blues’ owners have the money to continue running the football club “for years to come”.
His words will be unpopular with many campaigning “Not One Penny More” fans hoping further financial distress from the club playing ‘home’ games at Northampton will force Otium/Sisu to sell.

In an interview with the Telegraph, Mr Clarke also insisted the League was powerless in law to intervene in the dispute between the Ricoh Arena and Coventry City.
He re-iterated he did not know if the club’s owners Otium/Sisu will ever build a new stadium in the Coventry area within five years – a supposed League condition of groundshare approval.
But, while stating if he was a fan he would also be “marching” in protest, he challenged fans’ assumptions about Football League rules – which ultimately give the League’s board “discretion” over approving any groundshare.

Challenged over precisely what evidence of Otium’s “proof of funds” the League’s board was satisfied with when sanctioning the Northampton groundshare, he said he would have to ask the League’s financial team – and the Telegraph will continue to seek answers on fans’ behalf.

Sky Blues boss Tim Fisher claimed this week the club had shown the League proof of funds for the cash/equity part of the total costs of building a stadium (potentially more than £10million for a £25m stadium, with the rest borrowed); that Otium had been “recapitalised” by Sisu-related Cayman Islands-based hedge fund Arvo Master Fund; and that the company could fund the club’s losses while groundsharing.

PM1834667MR071211CCFC-06-3408276.jpg
Coventry City chief executive Tim Fisher Grilled over the evidence the club had provided, Mr Clarke said: “Sisu Capital have the assets to run this football club for as long as they want to. They are not short of money.”
Challenged to be more specific about the proof, he said: “I don’t know. It’s not my job to check the evidence.”

Instead, Mr Clarke said it was the League’s financial team’s job to advise the board, having examined assets, guarantees, cash available and lines of credit.
He said: “One of the first things the board discusses is, ‘Has the potential purchaser the assets, cash and credit available and a business plan that stacks up to ensure the business can survive in the long term?”

Pressed further over the level of funds proven for a stadium, Mr Clarke accepted: “I don’t know, because I don’t how anyone could know how a hypothetical stadium could be funded. You would have to get specific proposals in place for the Football League to evaluate them.”

Fans' Zone: A letter to the Football League
He added: “We’ve seen targets... areas and opportunities they are considering to develop a stadium.
“Until they finalise which one and come up with a fully drafted business plan, it is impossible for us to go through it.”
He insisted the League would demand phased evidence over time of progress on a new stadium in the Coventry area, for which a £1m bond – or ‘I owe you’ – was in place should Otium break that commitment.

Football League regulation 13.8 states: “The club must disclose, as soon as practicable, plans and details of any proposed future move to a new stadium.”
Mr Clarke would not say if the League could ultimately withdraw from Otium/Sisu the crucial “golden share” enabling Coventry City to play if it defaulted on plans for a new stadium – until he had “checked with the League’s lawyers”.

He said to pre-judge sanctions might prejudice any potential legal proceedings, resulting in a “judgement set aside by the courts”.
But the former Leicester City programme seller, who rose to become chief executive of Cable and Wireless Communications Plc, added: “The board always applies pressure to ensure commitments are met.

“There is a set of circumstances which would result in them losing their bond if there is a breach.
“We want to see people developing sites and coming up with firm proposals.
“If they show progress and that they are moving in good faith, we will show tolerance. If not, we will get more aggressive.”

He denied £1m was a small amount of money for a company he insisted had the means to fund tens of million of pounds in combined losses and the capital costs of a new stadium.
Mr Clarke said the League would continue with its efforts – stated on August 3 when it awarded the golden share to Otium – to get the the club and part-Coventry City Council owned Ricoh firm Arena Coventry Limited to “enter into meaningful negotiations”.
But he conceded that would have to rely on “goodwill” from both sides.

Mr Clarke said: “We’re trying to generate goodwill. Hopefully commercial reality will overcome bad blood and both sides can be hailed as heroes.”
But he added: “We have to act within the law. We cannot impose a solution on two entities.”

Mr Clarke added he once said to a Parliamentary select committee: “Why are you beating us up for the laws you made?”
He continued: “The Football League has never made a law. If the Companies Act allows complex ownership structures, who are we to argue?”
He said keeping Coventry City afloat while groundsharing 35 miles away was the “lesser of two evils” than potentially forcing its extinction.

Please don't put a picture of Timothy sat in OUR beloved Ricoh Arena, especially whilst he has a smug fucking grin on his face, that picture right there could send people like me over the top!! Never hated anyone with a passion like I do him.

Otis

If Mr Clarke is saying, on the one hand, Sisu have the money to keep running the football club for years to come but, on the other hand, is also saying that the option was groundshare or extinction, then doesn't that make the obvious conclusion we can draw seem to be that Sisu told the league: "Let us move or we will close the club"?

Err, if they have the money to keep the club running for years to come they could have stayed at the Ricoh and paid the reduced rent.

As I've said a thousand times, success on the pitch would bring crowds of 15,000+ regularly and the club would then be making money.

Porkchophill

I agree the blame should lie with administrator the point of having one is to find the best option not only for the creditors but the long term for the club he is an administrator not an auctioneer , selling to sissu in another guise sealed our fate
And as much as the football league are complicite in the going ons they will not step out from the legal boundaries the master stroke by sissu was getting their proffered administrator

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Full interview with Clarke on CWR now after 9 am news

Noggin

We have absolutely no idea what the other bids were and how they would have benefited the creditors or the club.

we know 2 things, 1 it was impossible for anyone to bid more than sisu in terms of pence in the pound without paying many times more than the club is worth and 2 if the only thing haskell offered was a bag of peanut butter m&m's that would still have been a better deal for acl and the future of the club because we'd have been playing in the ricoh.

Sub

well hope sisu are looking forward to hemmoraging money for the next 1-5 years. if the FL are not going to help us bollocks to them i will start playing more golf now and spend my money on something better ! NOPM

Sub

full interveiw on now

Clarke
far as they can tell SISU have obeyed the law nobody behaved unlawfully.

Last edited:

Sky Blues

Err, if they have the money to keep the club running for years to come they could have stayed at the Ricoh and paid the reduced rent.

Exactly my point. As the maths around ticket revenue suggests they would make more money if they play in Coventry than Northampton, then if they can afford to keep the club going in Northampton surely they can afford the reduced rent at Coventry (even without F&B revenue)?

Therefore, why would the club close if it doesn't move to Northampton? The only answer that I can see is that Sisu said they would close it. (I'm happy to see another argument though if someone can point out other explanations.)

Sky Blue Pete

Surprised that no one has mentioned the other related news story - about the 6 million jellyfish that have launched a class action for slander after they heard someone describe the Football League as "spineless".

Exactly my point. As the maths around ticket revenue suggests they would make more money if they play in Coventry than Northampton, then if they can afford to keep the club going in Northampton surely they can afford the reduced rent at Coventry (even without F&B revenue)?

Therefore, why would the club close if it doesn't move to Northampton? The only answer that I can see is that Sisu said they would close it. (I'm happy to see another argument though if someone can point out other explanations.)
Coventry city should play in Coventry, if they play innorthampton then they cease to be Coventry city!!

What's hard to understand Greg??

Otis

It's stupid. They would surely be better off at the Ricoh, paying the reduced rent while planning to build a new stadium.

Surely that is better than playing at Northampton for 5 years in front of just a handful of fans.

Users who are viewing this thread