Greatest Escape (1 Viewer)

Adge

I think West Brom with Robson as manager/Keiran Richardson etc was a good shout. Wasn’t it first time that a team bottom at Christmas had escaped?

clint van damme

I think West Brom with Robson as manager/Keiran Richardson etc was a good shout. Wasn’t it first time that a team bottom at Christmas had escaped?

If we're talking other clubs this has to be up there as does Leicester the year before they won the EPL.

1997, As we only survived because Middlesbrough were deducted 3 points. Won 1 game in Jan, Feb and March before Beating Liverpool at Anfield and Chelsea at home and of course beating Spurs away on the last day.

Same for me. Amazing day out.

Was anybody on the same coach as me down to Tottenham that ploughed into the back of a Peugeot?

SlowerThanPlatt

WBA is the best there. They were not just bottom at Christmas but bottom with half an hour of the final game of the season remaining too

Pompey played a changed team that day I think and Southampton went down losing 2-1 to a strong Man United

Last edited:

torchomatic

Pre-PL. 85, winning last three games. Was a brilliant end to the season. Can still remember it now. Wonderful times.

The Great Eastern

WBA is the best there. They were not just bottom at Christmas but bottom with half an hour of the final game of the season remaining too

Pompey played a changed team that day I think and Southampton went down losing 2-1 to a strong Man United
The Pompey fans positive reaction to losing 0-2 to Albion to send their hated neighbours down, was one of the funniest things I've seen in football ! Remember that Norwich needed a positive result at Fulham to stay up and got beaten, I think, 6-0 !

Brighton Sky Blue

Seeing Lesta described as universally popular in one of the highest rated comments made me slightly nauseous

bob87wright

8f7389eab88d04291501260ffafe990c.jpg

My son, Chris Wright, had the great fortune to be the ‘luckiest mascot ever’! We were both in the tunnel and remember Peter Ndlovu saying to Chris ‘You’ll be happy WHEN we win this match’. Yes, when not if. Always remember that positivity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blind-Faith

Although I wasn’t a Cov fan until our first season in the championship, being a Newcastle fan , I was shocked reading this and not being there as to what I’ve heard about our great escapes

Frank Sidebottom

8f7389eab88d04291501260ffafe990c.jpg

My son, Chris Wright, had the great fortune to be the ‘luckiest mascot ever’! We were both in the tunnel and remember Peter Ndlovu saying to Chris ‘You’ll be happy WHEN we win this match’. Yes, when not if. Always remember that positivity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just to Clarify, Which one is your son?

kg82

I've said it on here many times that was a great day but with hindsight, if we'd gone down that day, I dont think we'd have for ourselves into the mess we did.
Agreed. But selfishly, I’m glad we didn’t go down! I was only 15 at the time, I would’ve been more devastated than when we actually did go down. In school with a load of Utd, Liverpool and Villa fans would’ve been unbearable! At least I could avoid them when we actually went down!

Terry_dactyl

I was a student, living in Tottenham at the time of this game. I’m ashamed to say, I got very, very drunk.

You'll Never Beat McPake

Me and my brother-in-law were in the home end at White Hart Lane for the game in 97. We were trying our best not to show our excitement as the first 2 goals went in and the Spurs fans were getting more aggravated as the game went on. Thought we had been rumbled when 2nd goal went in, and got a bit awkward. As soon as we got outside the ground after the game we just had to let it all out. Great watching the Sky Blue fans cheering the goals and finally as the team walked off at the end. One of my best memories

Tartan Specials

The gargles dimmed my brain? Got it my head that they missed a last minute penalty? Friday night at the Victoria Ground before the Cup Final? Can't recall the Luton game but the Everton march they turned up on a Sunday with flip flops and sombreros and we won about a zillion to nil! What a club.

The Great Eastern

The gargles dimmed my brain? Got it my head that they missed a last minute penalty? Friday night at the Victoria Ground before the Cup Final? Can't recall the Luton game but the Everton march they turned up on a Sunday with flip flops and sombreros and we won about a zillion to nil! What a club.
You got the wrong season TS. We did ok in the league in 86/87 without bothering the top 6 or anywhere near relegation.
I was at HR for the Luton game referred to above. Time was very short when Killer sort of mis-hit a long range shot that bounced up and passed Les Sealey by into the Luton goal. Cue outrageous celebrations and Sealey doing his nut as he'd been getting well deserved dogs abuse from the West End in the 2nd half !

Ring Of Steel

No doubt that 96/97 takes it, but 95/96 was pretty intense as well- we played Leeds and were drawing, with a very nasty atmosphere, everyone knew Leeds fans would be up for some trouble and the nuttier element of our fans were also up for it. Man City had to beat Liverpool and came from 2-0 down to equalise, so add the general confusion of what was going on at Maine Road into the mix and it was bloody nerve wracking and one of those days where you didn’t know what to focus on. I think we finished before Man City and then had to try and process fans on the pitch fighting and hearing that Man City had messed up, thought they were safe and were playing for time in the corner when they needed a goal- proper weird stuff, we had the usual celebrations when it was clear we were safe but muted as the fans were still trying to get at each other, then waded through brawling fans to get to the car after- all very weird, intense, nasty and we pushed it pretty close that year.

not a ‘great escape’ really but a very unpleasant day that thankfully ended up with us staying up.

Ring Of Steel

You got the wrong season TS. We did ok in the league in 86/87 without bothering the top 6 or anywhere near relegation.
I was at HR for the Luton game referred to above. Time was very short when Killer sort of mis-hit a long range shot that bounced up and passed Les Sealey by into the Luton goal. Cue outrageous celebrations and Sealey doing his nut as he'd been getting well deserved dogs abuse from the West End in the 2nd half !

The Stoke and Luton matches almost killed me

Tartan Specials

Apologies. Again pre- dementia but I definitely was at HR for a relegation game against QPR (definitely, I think ,lol). We won and everybody was on the pitch celebrating because we'd sent Leicester down...but we haddened!! Help, I'm old and drunk!!

Users who are viewing this thread