Greatest Cover version (1 Viewer)

Paul Anthony

Disturbed did a version of "The sound of Silence" that sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. It's not the kind of thing I'd ever have expected them to do. It was like a reimagination of It, but keeping the feel of the original.

LastGarrison

Valerie - Amy Whitehouse
Billie Jean - Ian Brown
Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
You Got The Love - Florence and the Machine

Not the best but just throwing a few more into the mix.

bringbackrattles

Disturbed did a version of "The sound of Silence" that sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. It's not the kind of thing I'd ever have expected them to do. It was like a reimagination of It, but keeping the feel of the original.

They play this often on Planet Rock. Like you say it's a spine tingler. A bit of a masterpiece !

Paul Anthony

They play this often on Planet Rock. Like you say it's a spine tingler. A bit of a masterpiece !

I remember the first time I heard it on the radio. It just totally blew my mind, especially when they said Disturbed. The only stuff of theirs I'd ever listened to was way back when they started becoming popular, around 2000ish and I couldn't get my head round it being the same group.

bringbackrattles

I remember the first time I heard it on the radio. It just totally blew my mind, especially when they said Disturbed. The only stuff of theirs I'd ever listened to was way back when they started becoming popular, around 2000ish and I couldn't get my head round it being the same group.
Love the singers voice on a Sound Of Silence. First time I heard it I knew it was a classic cover. The original is great, but Disturbed have made it even better !

rondog1973

Valerie - Amy Whitehouse
Billie Jean - Ian Brown
Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
You Got The Love - Florence and the Machine

Not the best but just throwing a few more into the mix.
I haaaatttteee the Florence and the Machine version of you got the love!

Maybe because I love the the Source/Candi Staton one so much (7and a half minutes Erin's Bootleg mix) and before anyone chimes up, yes I am aware it's based on Your love by Frankie Knuckles.

Gazolba

If hymns count, "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" by Twisted Sister

MAFF

good ones are:

valerie- winehouse
watchtower- hendrix
hey joe- hendrix
im the walrus- oasis
mad world- gary jules
twist n shout- beatles
whiskey- thin lizzy
hallelujah- buckley
hurt- johnny cash
feel my love- adele
i love rock n roll- joan jett
tainted love- soft cell
fought the law- clash
message to you rudy- specials
help from my friends- joe cocker

but the greatest without doubt is:

dazed and confused- led zep

mrtrench

I agree that the Hendrix version is brilliant (better than the original), but this isn't too shabby either:

I also like this:

shmmeee

Me First And The Gimme Gimmes - Favourite Things

Pennywise - Stand By Me

Reel Big Fish - Take On Me

Nothing better than a punk/ska cover.

Samo

I think Whisky in the Jar is a traditional Irish song that Thin Lizzy covered

And the Metallica cover is excellent too.

How about the Guns & Roses version of 'Live & Let Die' ?

Paul Anthony

Had to go back to dig this up, hadn't realised how far back it was!

I have just heard Bad Wolves cover of The Cranberries "Zombie", and it gave me chills. I found it very powerful, and scarily still relevant to the world today.

I was never a fan of The Cranberries, I'd never heard Dolores O'Riordan sing until after she died but in that time I've really found her voice was a powerful thing. I think knowing she was supposed to sing on this version makes it quite an emotional thing.

It's a damn fine cover to my ears, anyway.

wingy

I have just heard Bad Wolves cover of The Cranberries "Zombie", and it gave me chills. I found it very powerful, and scarily still relevant to the world today.

I was never a fan of The Cranberries, I'd never heard Dolores O'Riordan sing until after she died but in that time I've really found her voice was a powerful thing. I think knowing she was supposed to sing on this version makes it quite an emotional thing.

You're not wrong on any of it kid !!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

I love the Cranberries. I have six of their albums. Dolores O'Riordan had an amazing voice. I was very sad to hear of her passing.

bringbackrattles

I love the Cranberries. I have six of their albums. Dolores O'Riordan had an amazing voice. I was very sad to hear of her passing.
My sister likes Clannard and Enya. Both get slated for being a bit tedious, but she loves them both. I've listened to both acts and some of their music is good.
Mood music !

lifeskyblue

My sister likes Clannard and Enya. Both get slated for being a bit tedious, but she loves them both. I've listened to both acts and some of their music is good.
Mood music !

I used to like clannad....prob about 30years + ago. I especially liked the stuff they did for a Robin Hood series with Michael Praed, Jason Connery and a young Ray winstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lifeskyblue

Janice Joplin’s ‘me and Bobby McGhee’. Until recently I thought this was her song covered by others and didn’t realise her version was the cover.

Nick

Administrator
How is this not in here?

Extra points because he dances like I would around the house.

Paul Anthony

From what I've heard of her, her voice was certainty something. Wish I'd been into it sooner. I have to admit both versions of "Zombie" have left a big impression on me. I also really like "Cordell", another song I found very powerful. She certainly had a talent.

bringbackrattles

I used to like clannad....prob about 30years + ago. I especially liked the stuff they did for a Robin Hood series with Michael Praed, Jason Connery and a young Ray winstone.

They had a big hit with the theme from Harry's Game. Their music is haunting and mystical. My sister is into whale and dolphin sounds, new age and crystals. She longs for the 60's to return !

Gazolba

I like Squire's cover of the Bangles "September Gurls":

bringbackrattles

On a compilation album I've been listening to there's a great track by Gossip covering Careless Whisper by George Michael. Beth Ditto has some voice and really makes the song her own. She turns a pop tune into a rock song. Brilliant cover !

Users who are viewing this thread