Great individual performances (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Some obvious ones e.g. players scoring hatricks but we've all seen (at some point in the probably distant past) relatively unsung brilliance.

I nominate George Boateng's destroyer performance vs Derby in the FA Cup in 98. He got an assist as well:

[video=youtube;PXxzmtTpxtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXxzmtTpxtY[/video]

fernandopartridge

I loved Boetengs performance in central midfield with Whelan away at Liverpool in the 3rd round, fucking brilliant.

He was awesome in that first season, so of course the following season he was shunted out to the right wing to accommodate the returning Gary McAllister. You do wonder about the credibility of the 'tapping up' of Boateng by Dion Dublin.

Grendel

Lots I suppose.

Mick ferguson and his hat trick at Wolves (and saving us from relegation only to be shat on by Gould)

Gibson against Liverpool

Wallace and his performance against Norwich

Ogrozovic almost standing alone at White hart lane to keep the club in the premier league

Too many moments involving Tommy Hutchison to mention here

CJ_covblaze

Chippo v The Villa in 1999.

covcity4life

hadji and chippo used to have such performances every single game.

well at least it felt like that

#misstheolddays #ohshithashtagsdontworkonhere

Hobo

Lots I suppose.

Mick ferguson and his hat trick at Wolves (and saving us from relegation only to be shat on by Gould)

Gibson against Liverpool

Wallace and his performance against Norwich

Ogrozovic almost standing alone at White hart lane to keep the club in the premier league

Too many moments involving Tommy Hutchison to mention here

Grendel, what about Mick Ferguson's performance at Highfield Road against Ipswich, then one of the best sides in the country? They said they wanted to buy him, he demolished them and then they couldn't afford him. A great Coventry performance that day.

skybluesam66

Grendel, what about Mick Ferguson's performance at Highfield Road against Ipswich, then one of the best sides in the country? They said they wanted to buy him, he demolished them and then they couldn't afford him. A great Coventry performance that day.

the 2nd went in and we started singing "Fergies worth a million"
By the time the 4th, it was "Fergies not for sale"

Nonleagueherewecome

For me, Speedie's hatrick of headers during the 5-0 demolition of Sheff Wed. He was tiny, but could out-jump half of the big centre-backs in the league. I idolised that bloke when I was a kid.

Maybe a shout out for Rosario doing his "tall Peter Beardsley" act against Villa and Liverpool. David Phillips delivering the perfect performance in one of his rare appearances at left-back. I think it was against Norwich, but I might be wrong. And although I wasn't there, the Nuddy hatrick at Anfield, which was the first there in an opposition player in a couple of decades I think.

Pretty much any appearance at the club by McGoldrick would qualify too as he was clearly a class above anyone else that we had.

Nonleagueherewecome

Ooh, Chris Marsden against Swindon during his loan spell! "Christ, a midfielder who can pass, snap him up!" we cried. But we didn't...

Grendel

Threads like this bring it all home to me that I am lucky to have supported the club from the early 70's.

When players like Chippo Marsden Hadji and even Keane are mentioned it really shows how lucky I am.

shmmeee

Threads like this bring it all home to me that I am lucky to have supported the club from the early 70's.

When players like Chippo Marsden Hadji and even Keane are mentioned it really shows how lucky I am.

Just think what today's kids look back on! "oh for a player like Richie Partridge or Dele Adebola".

I just count myself lucky I got to see us against the big clubs and some world class players. I think trying to compare football from the 70s and 90s is a fool game though. Apples and oranges.

Calista

Difficult at my age to remember anything at all :)

A couple of individual performances do spring to mind – Chris Cattlin marking George Best out of the game at Highfield Road (1968?), and Gordon Strachan’s remarkable effort in a home game against Chelsea at the age of about 40 I think, which went a long way towards keeping us up. That’s my only positive memory of Gordon tbh.

Nonleagueherewecome

You forgot Rosario. I think perhaps sentimentality is clouding your judgement, as it certainly is mine.

Nonleagueherewecome

Difficult at my age to remember anything at all :)

A couple of individual performances do spring to mind – Chris Cattlin marking George Best out of the game at Highfield Road (1968?), and Gordon Strachan’s remarkable effort in a home game against Chelsea at the age of about 40 I think, which went a long way towards keeping us up. That’s my only positive memory of Gordon tbh.

I loved Strachan's playing time here, he was quite incredible.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Remember this.....

"Darren huckerby........................., Huckerby again .........good tight control he's going to go all the way.......is he going to finish .........he is ,.........................

Chipfat

Huckerby had so many good days at the club,, 3 against Forest at home, 3 at leeds away showed how dangerous he was to play against, he really did have everything and would fit in most prem clubs today with the attributes he had..

But performance that stands out was Eoin Jess at Wimbledon when Nuddy got 2, i'm not sure why his performance is in my head but i have always remembered it as clear as day. I never thought much of him as a player but that day he looked a real tidy player who had lots of vision, touch, time and awareness of what was around him..

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Huckerby had so many good days at the club,, 3 against Forest at home, 3 at leeds away showed how dangerous he was to play against, he really did have everything and would fit in most prem clubs today with the attributes he had..

But performance that stands out was Eoin Jess at Wimbledon when Nuddy got 2, i'm not sure why his performance is in my head but i have always remembered it as clear as day. I never thought much of him as a player but that day he looked a real tidy player who had lots of vision, touch, time and awareness of what was around him..

I was at that match and remember putting my fingers in my ears because of the intense noise from the city fans. It was an amazing afternoon.

Sky Blue Harry H

I actually love Dion Dublin. And you've just ruined my day.

Dion Dublin played centre half away at Leicester a good few years ago - think we won 2-0, think he scored them both, IIRC. He was magnificent, and just loved how racked off the Leicester fans were around me ( was sitting in a Leicester area with an old mate who follows them). Memories !

Sky Blue Harry H

Steve Hunt was superb in a magnificent group of youngsters, with Gillespie, Thompson, Danny Thomas amongst others - remember Steve Whitton (tank of a player) who never really took off after he left us (injury prone?)

Chipfat

Steve Whitton was massive but he could play and move with the ball...Danny Thomas was my first Cov hero..

Last edited:

Chipfat

I was at that match and remember putting my fingers in my ears because of the intense noise from the city fans. It was an amazing afternoon.

I got to my seat and 5 Italian lads were visiting London and could not get tickets for Arsenal so got tickets for the game and somehow got in the Cov end... After 10 mins when a load of cov lads got kicked out the end behind the goal they turned and asked if we were the London club!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a day one of the best away days i had, loads of fancy dress, lads everywhere going mental.....

Cedric Roussel against Arsenal one Boxing Day game I think, In front of the sky cameras. He absolutely beasted Tony Adams and the old gaurd Arsenal defence that day a bagged a brace to boot. His best performance in a city shirt for me

Grendel

Yes he got all 4 goals didn't he? Always liked Fergie - Gould treated him like shit which is one of the reasons I have zero time for him.

Grendel

You forgot Rosario. I think perhaps sentimentality is clouding your judgement, as it certainly is mine.

Not really. You have to compare then to know and assume those in the past with sophisticated training techniques would still be superior

Hutchison was a real star player - there is no question. A player of immense quality. I used to live in the same street and kids would knock on his door for an autograph and he always obliged. He used to drink in the local pub. That has changed but not the quality.

Wouldn't get in this team though. Wanted to play too wide and was too individual.

Says it all but he would be the best player ever for this club I am sure.

Alan Dugdale

A few of the ones I remember are; Jim Blyth almost single handedly defying a great Liverpool side in 1978 when we finished with only 9 fit players on the pitch; Garry Thompson in the League Cup semi against West Ham after scoring an own goal; George Boateng in a 4-1 thrashing of Villa; Peter Ndlovu - take your pick from the hat trick at Anfield, the double at Wimbledon or the 3-1 win at Spurs when he and Strachan destroyed them on the wings. Since coming down the only individual performance of much worthiness that I recall was Michael Misfud's in the League Cup win at Old Trafford.

Calista

Yes he got all 4 goals didn't he? Always liked Fergie - Gould treated him like shit which is one of the reasons I have zero time for him.

Agree about Fergie – met him once after a game and he seemed like the salt of the earth.

Not the most elegant player – I remember him passing the ball back to the keeper from the halfway line once, and it cleared the corner flag! But as good a header of the ball as you will ever see, and an accomplished finisher.

He kept us up that year when I think we borrowed him for a few games at the end of the season – priceless goals that should have been rewarded with a generous contract. Didn’t we send him back to Birmingham, who had actually been relegated by his heroics? But unless my memory is playing tricks, I thought George Curtis had something to do with both hiring him and deciding not to keep him on. Could be totally wrong.

rondog1973

I loved Boetengs performance in central midfield with Whelan away at Liverpool in the 3rd round, fucking brilliant.
We played Liverpool a few weeks earlier at Anfield where Boateng made his debut, giving a fairly innocuous performance. Forward 3 or so weeks and he turns in one of the best midfield performances I've ever seen.

Loved the way he got under the skin of self styled 'Guvnor' Paul Ince, who could only respond to Boateng's dominance by flinging his Teddy in the Ref's direction, much to the amusement of Cov's following that day.

Alan Dugdale

From a defensive angle I can remember a few vintage performances from Lloyd McGrath. I remember him getting the better of Bryan Robson at Old Trafford in the mid 80's when if I remember right Robson damaged his shoulder for the first time when McGrath charged him into the railings at the Stretford End. There was also a Christmas game against Spurs when Gazza couldn't take the close marking and broke his arm trying to punch McGrath in frustration. Lastly near the end of his time with us I remember him playing full back and in successive weeks faced the new wonderkids at Liverpool and Man U, McManaman and Giggs. Both were tackled into the stands early on and didn't pose a threat from then on and we kept two clean sheets.

Users who are viewing this thread