Grandads old military records help (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

My uncle requested a copy of my grandads military records .

He served 13 years 40 days from 1933 to 1946

The problem we are having is reading some of the data inputs as shall we say in simple terms ...squiggly old fashioned writing .

Is anybody on here any good at reading writing like that il post as example and see if you can make it out .

We believe from reading the records that he was injured in sudan in 1940 and North West Europe in 1944 ..but it's so hard to work out much of what's being written

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

R.C. of Signals Attested Private 16/1/33
Depot? Transferred to the South Wales Borderers and posted to Depot. Terms of service modified to 7 yrs with the (colours?) of 5 yrs in the Army reserve Private 20/1/33
2nd Posted Private 18/7/33
1st Posted Private 13/12/34
1st Posted to Rest Camp (No.32 Rest Camp Sudan). Evacuated from force Private 15/8/40
21st ITC Posted Private 27/8/4?
3 (Mous?) Severley reprimanded by Commanding Officer. Absent from 0200hrs 16/2/43 to 1830hrs 16/2/43 Lance Corporal 18/2/43

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

1936/37 (looks to be for Indian service medal and North West Frontier)

1939/45 FAG (Fight Against Germany?) Star
1939/45 Defence and War medals
& (? - could be Germany or Army maybe) Defence

Mother: Mrs F. Evans 19 Swan Terrace, Hay, Shropshire
4/9/38 Sister: Mrs R. Hicks 9 (Junction?) Road Coventry
Sister: Mrs R. Hicks 10 junction St Coventry Warks
Wife Mrs M.L. Evans

20?/4/44

Membership No. 21/48/15

Evo1883

R.C. of Signals Attested Private 16/1/33
Depot? Transferred to the South Wales (Borders?) and posted to Depot. Terms of service modified to 7 yrs with the (colours?) of 5 yrs in the Army reserve Private 20/1/33
2nd Posted Private 18/7/33
1st Posted Private 13/12/34
1st Posted to Rest Camp (No.32 Rest Camp Sudan). Evacuated from force Private 15/8/40
21st ITC Posted Private 27/8/4?
3 (Mous?) Severley reprimanded by Commanding Officer. Absent from 0200hrs 16/2/43 to 1830hrs 16/2/43 Lance Corporal 18/2/43
I'm interested in the evacuation from force private .

What does it mean please because when I put that into Google it brings up Dunkirk but the dates don't correlate

LastGarrison

I can’t really add anything but really interesting looking through them.

There must be a local Royal British Legion or War Histories department that you could reach out to in the hope they could find someone to talk you through it?

Either way good luck!

Evo1883

I can’t really add anything but really interesting looking through them.

There must be a local Royal British Legion or War Histories department that you could reach out to in the hope they could find someone to talk you through it?

Either way good luck!
There are alot more pages .. there's about 20 altogether.. but I am away from my dad's now

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm interested in the evacuation from force private .

What does it mean please because when I put that into Google it brings up Dunkirk but the dates don't correlate

Don't know to be honest. Private is his rank. As it's not on his injuries record I guess not due to wounds.

Going by the dates in his service record it was the same time he moved from India to Sudan and then spent roughly a year there.

I'd guess it's to do with him moving from being part of the army that was controlling India to becoming actively involved in the fight against the Germans in Sudan and evacuation might just be the word they use for him being moved in an emergency to help with the war elsewhere. Don't know if there was a similar problem of invasion in india as the Germans pushed on but as far as I know there wasn't.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Don't know to be honest. Private is his rank. As it's not on his injuries record I guess not due to wounds.

Going by the dates in his service record it was the same time he moved from India to Sudan and then spent roughly a year there.

I'd guess it's to do with him moving from being part of the army that was controlling India to becoming actively involved in the fight against the Germans in Sudan and evacuation might just be the word they use for him being moved in an emergency to help with the war elsewhere. Don't know if there was a similar problem of invasion in india as the Germans pushed on but as far as I know there wasn't.

I had a quick look on the situation in India at the time and although by this time there was a lot of Indian independence movement and when they were brought into the war unilaterally by the British without consultation there was a bit of a backlash.

But on the whole the Indian people seemed to support the war effort and put independence on the backburner, so it seems more likely that the British government felt there was less need for a 'peacekeeping' force in India at the time and so more of the soldiers would be better utilised in action elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread