Grand National 2021 (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Out of interest without googling take a guess how many horses have died on U.K. racecourses in the last 14 years

greys4life

Out of interest without googling take a guess how many horses have died on U.K. racecourses in the last 14 years

far too many! Slightly off subject but how many greyhounds have died or just disappeared over the last 10 years?

rob9872

That is just so wrong! Horses need to be looked after better than that! 2,500 is way too many needless deaths. Shameless! :mad: :mad: :mad:
It's one of those things where we have to agree to disagree I think. I've had this with G before and I do sympathise and yes 1 is 1 too many, but the reason they are destroyed is because they love jumping so much. They are built as muscle machines and you see them continue to run and jump after a fall.

If it wasn't for racing they wouldn't be bred at all and there are countless more horses living their best life. A lot of regulations now and thankfully the trainers like Gordon Elliot or our own Mick Quinn, don't represent the majority of owners, breeders and trainers and love the horses like part of the family. In that same 14 year period where it averages 2-3 dying per week, there would be approx 1,500 running so if 1 in 500 die, then it would be fair to assume a significant factor born that wouldn't be and being treated well and looked after.

rob9872

In fact if you're looking at the cruelty of the sport, then I'd really concentrate not on the unfortunate accidents which are felt more deeply in the racing community than by you, G or me, but the bigger problem imo is those culled due to over-breeding. I don't have the figures, but I'd bet it's significantly higher than those who die at the track.

rob9872

I've just Googled a bit and even more staggering is 10,000 horses per year are bred and slaughtered in the UK for horse meat, mostly to France.

Grendel

It's one of those things where we have to agree to disagree I think. I've had this with G before and I do sympathise and yes 1 is 1 too many, but the reason they are destroyed is because they love jumping so much. They are built as muscle machines and you see them continue to run and jump after a fall.

If it wasn't for racing they wouldn't be bred at all and there are countless more horses living their best life. A lot of regulations now and thankfully the trainers like Gordon Elliot or our own Mick Quinn, don't represent the majority of owners, breeders and trainers and love the horses like part of the family. In that same 14 year period where it averages 2-3 dying per week, there would be approx 1,500 running so if 1 in 500 die, then it would be fair to assume a significant factor born that wouldn't be and being treated well and looked after.

most lead terrible lives and no horse likes jumping that’s silly

rob9872

most lead terrible lives and no horse likes jumping that’s silly
If they don't like it, why do they continue to jump the fences after the jockey has fallen off? Who's making them do it?

Grendel

If they don't like it, why do they continue to jump the fences after the jockey has fallen off? Who's making them do it?

Because they are herd animals that are terrified and running for their lives. Stick them all in Aintree with no noise and no jockeys and they will just eat grass

Brighton Sky Blue

They basically never do it in the wild and rarely do they jump an obstacle instead of walk around it. They also don't invite other large animals to sit on them to be carried around. The whole problem of animals in sport is no matter how well intentioned anyone is it's impossible for a horse/greyhound/bull to consent.

A horse jumping fences after the rider falls off is probably just conditioned behaviour

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Having been in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps and ridden horses throughout a lot of my adult life, (I was also a qualified farrier), I can tell you that horses are "pack" animals - not 'pack as in a burden, but 'pack' as "follow the leader". If a jockey has been unseated, the horse will naturally follow the pack. This is when it becomes dangerous for the animal. Trailing reins getting caught in their legs as they gallop along is a sure-fire way to cause serious injury and almost certain death if it results in broken legs.

ccfctommy

What's the odds on how many horses killed this year?

Time for the Beeb to consider its coverage.

They did! It's on ITV...

Horses dying is very sad but they are bred to race. No horse racing, then these racehorses simply would not exist.

Grendel

They did! It's on ITV...

Horses dying is very sad but they are bred to race. No horse racing, then these racehorses simply would not exist.

Same as bulls in bullfighting then

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
They did! It's on ITV...

Good. That's what I'd like to see. No horse racing. There's plenty of other things to waste betting stakes on.

Users who are viewing this thread