Government to back Franchise (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

I dont agree I think it would take off,not that I'd watch it went to the first NFL game at Wembley years ago never been so bored. But never underestimate the proffessionalism of the NFL.

...and watch claims for a 39th Premier League game to grow and grow again.

Maybe SISU are playing the long game, and looking to move to Shanghai.

Jetstream-sama

I didn't try to censor you, I just addressed your point about empty stadiums. Hand-egg though, that's gold.

Fair enough, but like uhhhh...*scrolls up*...Grendel mentioned, would it be sustainable outside of the 3 games at Wembley?

I'd petition to re-name any British-based NFL franchise though, so it doesn't cause strife with REAL football...how's the National American Football Federation sound?

ajsccfc

I have a lot of doubts over the logistics of it (you can arrange international travel months in advance when you know the schedule, but if the London Beefeaters reach the playoffs that's incredibly short notice) and whether it actually should even be a consideration as I've never liked the whole franchising thing, but popularity of the sport itself here is near enough the only thing I'm sure of.

If they increase the number of the international games here I have no doubt the tickets would be snapped up at the same rate, but if you're presenting a brand new team or nabbing someone else's, I'm not sure about the success of that as most UK fans surely already have a team.

Grendel

Well this is the most significant element of this nonsense isn't it?

I would guess Dear old Scudamore the Sexist is getting all excited at proposed trips to the Far East.

Terry Gibson's perm

I have a lot of doubts over the logistics of it (you can arrange international travel months in advance when you know the schedule, but if the London Beefeaters reach the playoffs that's incredibly short notice) and whether it actually should even be a consideration as I've never liked the whole franchising thing, but popularity of the sport itself here is near enough the only thing I'm sure of.

If they increase the number of the international games here I have no doubt the tickets would be snapped up at the same rate, but if you're presenting a brand new team or nabbing someone else's, I'm not sure about the success of that as most UK fans surely already have a team.

I think it will be a success but I can see what you mean about UK fans having teams already so some of the long term following will be down to success on the field, I don't think the travel will be a problem I am sure you could hire a 747 or 2 in the US at short notice and the team in the UK would know if they are likely to qualify a couple of weeks before needed and hire a couple here or from Europe. I think they will go for a new franchise and then put another into the US probably in LA area.

dongonzalos

Otis I have to say I know there is a bit of franchising in the states.
But say Miami dolphins move to London will there not be more than the 7000 wasps fans who you defended. In America who will be completely shafted?

dongonzalos

The campaign has started again Karen Brady was on radio 5 promoting it.
It will be a couple if the premiership teams taking a turn every year.
It's to be debated very soon I believe.

Otis

Otis I have to say I know there is a bit of franchising in the states.
But say Miami dolphins move to London will there not be more than the 7000 wasps fans who you defended. In America who will be completely shafted?

Agree, but as I said on a thread a few weeks back, you look at the NFL in 1920, then say 1925, then 1930 then every 10 years or so.

It changes so much and so many times with teams merging, moving and rebranding constantly. Not saying it's right, just saying it is very much the norm there and always has been.

Completely different kettle of fish to here.

Otis

Agree, but as I said on a thread a few weeks back, you look at the NFL in 1920, then say 1925, then 1930 then every 10 years or so.

It changes so much and so many times with teams merging, moving and rebranding constantly. Not saying it's right, just saying it is very much the norm there and always has been.

Completely different kettle of fish to here.

This is the NFL in 1920

The only team still in existence is the Green Bay Packers.

Completely different situation to here and not comparable.

Otis

What should happen and what would be entirely fine, is for any new NFL team over here to be just that, a new team. Not the Jacksonville Jaguars becoming the London Jaguars, but a new team.

Cannot see anything wrong with that. The addition of a team, rather than the displacement of a team and we would all surely be happy with that.

ajsccfc

What should happen and what would be entirely fine, is for any new NFL team over here to be just that, a new team. Not the Jacksonville Jaguars becoming the London Jaguars, but a new team.

Cannot see anything wrong with that. The addition of a team, rather than the displacement of a team and we would all surely be happy with that.

I'd rather they expand the league than take a team from anyone else, definitely. Have a proper expansion year to also get a team back in Los Angeles, maybe even Toronto if they judge those Bills games as a success.

Otis

I'd rather they expand the league than take a team from anyone else, definitely. Have a proper expansion year to also get a team back in Los Angeles, maybe even Toronto if they judge those Bills games as a success.

Yep. In total agreement with that. Look how big the States is, yet there are just 32 NFL teams in the whole country.

New team in London and 3 new teams across the US, to make 36 teams.

Jetstream-sama

I'm sorry....what?

It was a self-deprocating quip, made on: what the poster I quoted had said, and my username.

I bet if Rob Brydon had made that quip, everyone would be sniggering their chuddies off. *sigh*

Como

Franchise does not have the same feel as it does in the UK.

As has been pointed out it is a short season, not sure why, and only half the games would be played in UK.

I would have thought selling out would not be a problem. And the financial structure guarantees a return.

covmark

American football is one of the most god-awful games known to man. Its up there with cricket. Boring as hell

Tonylinc

You mean "Rounders", surely and yes it is God awful. Once went to a game in the States, fell asleep. They even have to play music at any break (and there are quite a few) to keep the customers awake!

Otis

American football is one of the most god-awful games known to man. Its up there with cricket. Boring as hell

For me, it is the most exciting sport known to mankind. So many thrilling games that go right down to the wire.

Today's Wembley game for instance was won with just 4 seconds left.

10 times more exciting than football for me.

dongonzalos

For me, it is the most exciting sport known to mankind. So many thrilling games that go right down to the wire.

Too many breaks in play for me.

Otis

Too many breaks in play for me.

Fair enough. Can't understand anyone who likes cricket and rugby union though who doesn't like the NFL. Many, many more breaks in play in cricket and a much, much longer game and also very long breaks in play in rugby union too.

Last week though, there were 6 games on in the NFL and 4 of them were won with the very last play of the game.

dongonzalos

Fair enough. Can't understand anyone who likes cricket and rugby union though who doesn't like the NFL. Many, many more breaks in play in cricket and a much, much longer game and also very long breaks in play in rugby union too.

Last week though, there were 6 games on in the NFL and 4 of them were won with the very last play of the game.

I guess it annoys me that the breaks are not there to enhance the game.
They are their for advertising and selling the famous 'pie money' or should I say cola Pepsi pop corn and hotdogs :)

covmark

Different strokes for different folks.

Otis

Different strokes for different folks.

Indeed.

Used to love football so much more, but it has all gone too cynical for me these days. Killing time by the corner flag, time wasting, shirt pulling, feigning injury and us only getting about 4 or 5 exciting games a season.

Might be different if I say supported Liverpool I guess.

dongonzalos

Indeed.

Used to love football so much more, but it has all gone too cynical for me these days. Killing time by the corner flag, time wasting, shirt pulling, feigning injury and us only getting about 4 or 5 exciting games a season.

Might be different if I say supported Liverpool I guess.

Yes that's a lot of what I hate about the game

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

You mean "Rounders", surely and yes it is God awful. Once went to a game in the States, fell asleep. They even have to play music at any break (and there are quite a few) to keep the customers awake!

Really? I was in Atlanta funnily enough in May (ish) and went to see the Braves at home to Chicago Cubs. Absolutely loved it. Yeah, they drag it out but I thought as entertainment, it was bloody brilliant. Loved heading into the concourse, getting a large dish of tortillas with American Fat Food on top and a pitcher of Millers. Despite the sh*t beer, I'd have no problems with going to watch another game. Each to their own though fella.

WM

ajsccfc

That was exactly what the IS games needed, as they've been a bit one-sided. Amazing finish, particularly as Detroit luckily got the benefit of their own ineptitude in the end.

It's been a good weekend for second half comebacks!

Tonylinc

Really? I was in Atlanta funnily enough in May (ish) and went to see the Braves at home to Chicago Cubs. Absolutely loved it. Yeah, they drag it out but I thought as entertainment, it was bloody brilliant. Loved heading into the concourse, getting a large dish of tortillas with American Fat Food on top and a pitcher of Millers. Despite the sh*t beer, I'd have no problems with going to watch another game. Each to their own though fella. Went past the Chigago Cubs ground recently on our Route 66 holiday......what a stadium!!!!1
WM

Chez78

Can't see the problem myself love watching the NFL Super Bowl and it has that many fans in the UK im sure the initial success would be the easy part. Gotta agree with Grendel though I think it's success will all depend on how successful the team on the pitch are.

The other problem is how many of the American players are really going to want and come and play in the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread