Government to back Franchise (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

George Osbourne says government will give NFL full backing and support if they want to franchise a team to the UK.

Otis

The NFL is all about franchising though and it has been that way historically for absolutely decades.

Jetstream-sama

Oh please tell me this is a fucking joke...

Yes, I can just see American Hand-Egg taking off like a whippet with an arse full of dynamite on British soil; let them do it, and it'll be hilarious to see emptier stadiums on matchday than the pissing Ricoh.

Saying that, if some Yankee billionaire who owns the Minnesota/Oakland/Indiana/Memphis Tyrannosaurs NFL team wants to save us from SISU...oh say can you seeeeeeee, by the dawn's early liiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

dongonzalos

Unfortunately the British a section public seem to love the NFL.
They are talking about seeing how many would commit to a season ticket.
Don't know where the venue will be in the UK though?
I assume London

skybluetony176

Unfortunately the British a section public seem to love the NFL.
They are talking about seeing how many would commit to a season ticket.
Don't know where the venue will be in the UK though?
I assume London

I think they're talking about Wembley. I'm sure I read somewhere a few weeks ago that if it goes ahead the England team might have to use other stadium's around the country if there is a clash of fixtures. NFL will get preference.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Certainly reduces the potential of away fans making a decision to go on the day. I imagine one of the songs, come in a Jetstream you must have come in a Jetstream.

dongonzalos

I think they're talking about Wembley. I'm sure I read somewhere a few weeks ago that if it goes ahead the England team might have to use other stadium's around the country if there is a clash of fixtures. NFL will get preference.

I prefer england going round the country,
However not for this reason.
I take it there is no fear that if they get 30k prepared to commit to a season ticket that they wouldn't fancy the Ricoh?

Jetstream-sama

Certainly reduces the potential of away fans making a decision to go on the day. I imagine one of the songs, come in a Jetstream you must have come in a Jetstream.

It's been a while since an American has come in me, at least a week. Probably.

The last person I encountered who followed the NFL was a guy from Hinckley; he dressed like Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit and said 'whack shit' a lot.

skybluetony176

I prefer england going round the country,
However not for this reason.
I take it there is no fear that if they get 30k prepared to commit to a season ticket that they wouldn't fancy the Ricoh?

I agree. It was much better when the national side went national.

The Ricoh is a possibility I guess but I would imagine that the NFL would want the 'prestige" of a London club.

ajsccfc

Yes, I can just see American Hand-Egg taking off like a whippet with an arse full of dynamite on British soil; let them do it, and it'll be hilarious to see emptier stadiums on matchday than the pissing Ricoh.

There's one going on right now in a very non-empty Wembley Stadium, as part of an International Series that's expanded over the years due to popularity.

But yeah, nu-metal and lol and stuff

Happy_Martian

Sorry Tony, it wouldn't be the venues' prestige that dictates a franchise, the NFL are like most big organisations and are only after the Almighty Dollar (or GB Pound :p ). London would be assumed to see the bigger crowds and has a larger recognition factor in the US, so there's more likely to be London merchandise sold internationally, compared to Manchester or Birmingham (Americans would get confused at the latter as there's a B'ham in Alabama too).

robbiethemole

went to london on the train and tube a couple of weeks ago, and they were packed out with NFL fans, all wearing different shirts supporting Dolphins, 49ers, Redskins etc. some blokes got on a MK central and one of them must have been 6' 10" and weighing about 25 stone......................but solid big not flabby. I think people under estimate the pull of NFL, we must have seen about 3000 and that was at 10 in the morning and it didn't kickoff til 7pm.

Otis

Saying that, if some Yankee billionaire who owns the Minnesota/Oakland/Indiana/Memphis Tyrannosaurs NFL team wants to save us from SISU...oh say can you seeeeeeee, by the dawn's early liiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

There will be one NFL team in the UK. That will be based in London.

There are millions and millions of American football fans in the UK. They will easily fill Wembley with 80,000 fans every other week for home games.

Don't like franchising but have to say I will be absolutely thrilled if we get an NFL team here in England.

ajsccfc

The main issue with it is I don't see too many people changing loyalties to a new team. One idea I liked was expanding the season to 17 games with the extra week for each side covering a neutral venue, be it Wembley or other places that go without like Los Angeles, Toronto etc. That way you have more chance of seeing your team visit and season ticket holders don't have a game taken away from them as currently happens.

Otis

You're being silly now obviously thats an England game.

It's not. It's an American Football one.

Wembley will easily be filled for NFL games. I'm sure the Beeb estimated it as about 3 million avid fans in the UK. The season is only 16 games long. Of course they can fill Wembley for 16 games a season.

Absolutely no doubt about that.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

It's not. It's an American Football one.

Wembley will easily be filled for NFL games. I'm sure the Beeb estimated it as about 3 million avid fans in the UK. The season is only 16 games long. Of course they can fill Wembley for 16 games a season.

Absolutely no doubt about that.

Otis me old son I was joking

Grendel

You're being silly now obviously thats an England game.

I agree - it will not take off to make it sustainable for a season. One game will attract sufficient interest for those who like this globally obscure "sport" but never for a whole year.

wingy

Have any Naming rights ever been sold re Wembley ?

If they havn't I'd be amazed If whoever takes up Residency doesn't .

ajsccfc

When they show the flyover there seems to be a huge EE logo on the Wembley roof, not sure if that's just for this or is always there?

I agree - it will not take off to make it sustainable for a season. One game will attract sufficient interest for those who like this globally obscure "sport" but never for a whole year.

It was one originally, now there are three sellout games and demand is growing. A whole year is only eight games.

Otis

It's a very short season though, Grendal. Mid September to the end of Jan and you only need to fill the stadium for 16 games.

I think they will do it easily.

Any problem will be further down the line if the franchise has a couple of very poor seasons on the field. That will then test the mettle.

Otis

When they show the flyover there seems to be a huge EE logo on the Wembley roof, not sure if that's just for this or is always there?

It was one originally, now there are three sellout games and demand is growing. A whole year is only eight games.

Yes, of course. Sorry my mistake. It will only be 8 home games. 16 games in total.

To suggest they can't fill Wembley 8 times a year is rather naive me thinks.

Grendel

Yes, of course. Sorry my mistake. It will only be 8 home games. 16 games in total.

To suggest they can't fill Wembley 8 times a year is rather naive me thinks.

Over a medium term I would doubt it. There will be a high novelty factor to
Begin with but this will be very difficult to sustain.

The 3 million followers is interesting but reminds me if the old pub quiz question as to name the most participated sport in the uk and the answer is something that I know of no one who does participate in it.

Jetstream-sama

There's one going on right now in a very non-empty Wembley Stadium, as part of an International Series that's expanded over the years due to popularity.

But yeah, nu-metal and lol and stuff

I was referring to a nationalisation of the franchise being unpopular, it's an opinion of mine, since we're all opinionated on here I'm entitled to it, correct? I couldn't give a squirrel's nutty shit about any 'International Series' of NFL, but by all means, go watch your Hand-Egg at the Ricoh if/when the time comes.

#poutslikeafairytofitin

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I dont agree I think it would take off,not that I'd watch it went to the first NFL game at Wembley years ago never been so bored. But never underestimate the proffessionalism of the NFL.

ajsccfc

I was referring to a nationalisation of the franchise being unpopular, it's an opinion of mine, since we're all opinionated on here I'm entitled to it, correct? I couldn't give a squirrel's nutty shit about any 'International Series' of NFL, but by all means, go watch your Hand-Egg at the Ricoh if/when the time comes.

#poutslikeafairytofitin

I didn't try to censor you, I just addressed your point about empty stadiums. Hand-egg though, that's gold.

Users who are viewing this thread