Gordon Milne - Highlights of a Remarkable Career (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

The era when I first started following city, wonderful times, remember the 4 v 2 win against league leaders Man City like it was yesterday, as an 8y/o I was sat with my dad & brother 3 rows from the back of the Sky Blue Stand midway between the Kop and the halfway line.
It was a Tuesday night and we’d met my dad at the pub before heading to the game, 1 v 0 down early and 2 v 1 down at H/T, the 2nd half was unbelievable and the atmosphere incredible, remember clearly feeling shocked as I heard my dad shout things I’d never heard him say before, when the 4th goal went in I must have been leaning against him because he jumped up and threw me up in the air and I landed on a bloke 2 rows in front 😂 never been the same since.
My favourite ever game. That second half was the best performance by a City team (there’s only one City and that’s us!) that I have ever seen. I think we would have beaten 70s Brazil that night.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

My favourite ever game. That second half was the best performance by a City team (there’s only one City and that’s us!) that I have ever seen. I think we would have beaten 70s Brazil that night.
I like you point about 'City'.
It became quite annoying when Man. City became good that the Media started calling them 'City' but now even some Coventry City fans on this forum call them 'City'. I live in Manchester and having a conversation with people they say 'City' but I always respond with Man City . I think then they can tell then I'm not from Manchester although my parents lived near Manchester. What's making it even worse now is Man City are also being called the Sky Blues!

Sadly not much chance of putting four goals past Man City again but that really was some game in 1977. The 4-0 in Feb 1983 wasn't anything as good.

torchomatic

Under Milne we had a fantastic squad capable of beating literally anyone. Even those players who were in and out of the team and often on the bench were real quality : Jimmy Holmes, Les Cartwright, Alan Green etc. Gordon was a gentlemen. Always had time to sign autographs when I went to Ryton to watch them train. He was articulate, motivating and had an excellent rapport with supporters.
I was too young to remember the Jimmy Jimmy Hill era and Gordon Milne was the first manager I can recall watching city under. He will always be, for me , the best manager we ever had. That's no disrespect to anyone else, particularly Sillett/Curtis and Mark Robins, but it's because of Milne that my interest in city has lasted almost 50 years.

Yeah, same here. Gordon and Ron Wylie are some of my earliest and fondest memories of supporting our great club. Along with all those players, such as Jimmy Holmes, Alan Dugdale, Les Cartwright, Graham Oakey, Bobby Mac, Hutch, Wallace, Fergie, John Beck, etc

oscillatewildly

Yeah, same here. Gordon and Ron Wylie are some of my earliest and fondest memories of supporting our great club. Along with all those players, such as Jimmy Holmes, Alan Dugdale, Les Cartwright, Graham Oakey, Bobby Mac, Hutch, Wallace, Fergie, John Beck, etc
Terry Yorath and to a lesser but still vital extent - especially 1977/78 - Ray Graydon.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

A tragedy that Graham Oakey's career was cut short. Was one of the best attacking full backs in the country.

Wolves_SkyBlue

Terry Yorath and to a lesser but still vital extent - especially 1977/78 - Ray Graydon.
Terry came to our school (Ullathorne) and I got his autograph - anyone remember that mid- week game against Liverpool back in the 70s when Sourness knee‘ed Terry in the nuts off the ball, dirty bas*#&d?

slowpoke

I was mates and went to school with Gordon's son Ian. Great times. I remember going to his house in Burbage, massive place with a tennis court. Great manager for us. Imagine a manager now getting us to 6th in Prem!
His son played minor league football for my club not my team, based in Wood End decent little player.

Users who are viewing this thread