Gordon Milne - Highlights of a Remarkable Career (1 Viewer)

Sapporo

This is my first post on here. I've been researching the career of Gordon Milne and his father Jimmy, a truly remarkable tale that stretches across seven decades. The story was so fascinating that I was thinking of contacting him and suggesting we write a book together. Little did I know that he'd already written one! It came out last month, and having read it, I can tell you it's a fascinaitng read.

All that research won't going to waste, though. As a taster for the book, I'll post here a brief run through of the key moments in that story, with a special focus on Coventry City. I hope you enjoy it.

1) Two Hillsborough Cup Ties

It's a tale that covers most of the 20th Century, and to illustrate that, let's have a look at two cup ties at Hillsborough, 76 years apart.

In January 1911, Southern League Coventry City recorded the most impressive result yet in their short history. Having shaken the football world the previous season with their run to the FA Cup Quarter-Finals, they were at it again a year later. Given a tough away tie at Sheffield Wednesday in the First Round, they come away with a 2-1 win. This was an even bigger shock than the victories over Preston and Nottingham Forest the year before - Wednesday would finish the season in sixth place in Division One.

This was how the Athletic News opened its report:

AN Jan 16 1911.png

Coventry were drawn away to fellow Southern Leaguers Brighton in the next round, and as they prepared for that game, nearly 400 miles away in Dundee, James Low Milne was born.

76 years later, Coventry City went back to Hillsborough for another famous FA Cup victory - this time in the semi-final against Leeds United. As they were preparing for the final, they went to Filbert Street to play a seemingly meaningless League game that finished 1-1. Except that it wasn't meaningless for Leicester City, or their General Manager Gordon Milne, son of James. Their failure to take three points that day was the key result in the run-in, taking their destiny out of their hands. Five days later, their drop into the second tier was confirmed.

That spoiled a proud record for the Milne family, as until that moment, neither father nor son, as player or manager, had experienced relegation. And strictly speaking, that record was still in tact, for as General Manager, Milne did not have direct control over first team affairs. That was Bryan Hamilton's job. Milne had 'moved upstairs' a year earlier, having successfully kept them in Division One for three seasons while he was in charge. Gordon was good at that - it's why Leicester City apponted him in the first place. Before he moved to Filbert Street, he was boss at Coventry City where, against all the odds, he had kept the Sky Blues in the top flight for nine years.

As we shall see though, that was not all he achieved in his time at Highfield Road.

2) Jimmy Milne

This is Jimmy Milne, the player. First in the black and white hoops of Dundee United (before they switched to tangerine) and then in the colours of Preston North End. He made his debut for Dundee United in 1930, aged 19, then transfered to Preston in 1932.

Jim two clubs.png

While at Deepdale, he was in the same half back line as another Scot, Bill Shankly. They both lived in club-owned houses, just yards from the ground, and Shankly would often play football in the street with Jimmy's young son Gordon. You can see on this map from the 1940s, with the Milne house highlighted, just how close to Deepdale it was. Shankly lived directly opposite:

6 lowthorpe 1940s map 2.png

There's a wonderful passage in Gordon's book in which he remembers those kick-abouts with Shankly - the title of the book, in fact, is 'Shankly, My Dad and Me'.

Preston made it to the FA Cup Final in 1937, where they lost to Sunderland. A year later they were back at Wembley, and this time they triumphed, beaitng Huddersfield 1-0. Bill Shankly had his first major honour, but it was heartbreak for Jimmy Milne. He missed the final through injury, a fate that his son would also suffer three decades later.

3) Gordon's Playing Days:

After the war, Jimmy became Preston's trainer. Gordon started his career at Deepdale shortly afterwards, but having your father around all the time it isn't an ideal situation. He wanted his independence, and in 1960 he moved to Anfield - signed, of course, by Bill Shankly.

two kits.png

He was a key member of the Liverpool side that won promotion in 1961/62, and a year later, Alf Ramsey gave him his England debut, against Brazil.

Look at this freeze frame, taken just 12 seconds into that match. Bobby Charlton is in possession on the left, and the man with his arms raised, eager to get his first touch in international football, is Gordon:

debut arns 2.png

Let's see what happened next:

Had that gone in, it would have been the most sensational start ever to an England career.

Gordon won two League titles in the mid-60, but missed Liverpool'S first ever FA Cup win in 1965 because of injury. He would also miss out on the 1966 World Cup. He was chosen in the preliminary squad of 28, but left out of the final party. It may be some consolation that he went on to enjoy a more succesful managerial career than any of the 22 players Ramsey selected.

4) Move into Management

Jimmy Milne took over as boss at Deepdale shortly after Gordon left for Liverpool. That was at the start of the 60s, and at the end of the decade, Gordon himself moved into management, aged just 32. He joined the ambitious Northern Premier League club Wigan Athletic.

He enjoyed instant success, and caught the eye of the Football Association, who appointed him manager of the England Youth team in 1971. A year later came glory in Spain as he led England to victory in the European Youth Championships. It was that triumph that led to Coventry giving him the manager's job in 1972, alongside Joe Mercer.

This is not a great quality photo, but it captures a moment in time, just after he was given the job at Highfield Road. Young, suave and successful, he looks for all the world as though he's about to announce his candidacy for the presidency of the United States:

a1.png

If anyone has a better quality version of that image, please post it below.

5) Milne v Clough

I mentioned that before I found out about his book, I was thinking of contacting Gordon, and in fact, I did speak to him last month. We chatted about the various stages of his career, and he stressed that at the start of every season at Highfield Road, the bookies had the Sky Blues down as relegation favourites. There were a few close scrapes in the years 1972-1981, but Gordon managed to keep Coventry up every time.

I think the most interesting season though was 1977/78, when Nottingham Forest pulled off that incredible title win. Look closely at that season and you see that at one point, Milne's team were right up there with Clough's side at the top of the table.

Look at this sequence of results in the autumn:

autumn run 2.png

Looking back at match reports from that time, it's clear that Coventry were playing scintillating football:

From the 4-2 win over Man City: The second half must rank as the greatest 45 minutes of attacking football City have produced in ten years of First Division soccer.

From the 3-2 win at Spurs: From the first kick, they attacked. (that was in the League Cup)

From the 1-0 win v West Ham: They are prepared to gamble heavily on a total commitment to attacking football

From the 1-1 draw at Arsenal: The thunderous applause at the end was I’m sure for both clubs.

From the 4-1 win v QPR: They’re the best side we’ve faced this season by a long way (Rangers boss Frank Sibley).

All that left Coventry in third place in the table, just two points behind Forest after 16 games. Shortly after that came the key game - at the City Ground. Milne wasn't about to change the approach -they went out and attacked.

It ended in a 2-1 defeat, but Clough's assistant Peter Taylor said, They’re easily the best side we’ve played this season. Milne himself said, We get tremendodus satisfaction from playing this way and people get satisfaction from watching us. Sometimes that is more important than winning and losing.

What a glorious time that must have been. If you have memories of that autumn, I'd love to hear them.

I asked Gordon about that season and he said this:

I didn’t put this in the book, but Clough was receiving an award on Midlands TV and I was watching and he said "This shouldn’t be mine, this should be going to that young man in Coventry".

6)
No Swearing

Right in the middle of that autumn came another fascinating Milne-Clough moment:

Do you remember this?

swearing.png

That was Clough's appeal to the Forest fans in October 1977. But it was actually a two-man campaign. A few days later, Gordon Milne made this appeal to Coventry City fans:

no swearing.png

At Highfield Road two days later came that 1-0 victory over West Ham, and among the chants from the home end that day were:

'We are not allowed to swear' (to the tune of 'Bread of Heaven' - the 'we'll support you evermore' melody)

'You're a bounder, you're a bounder, you're a bounder referee!'

'What the flip, what the flip, what the flippin hell was that?'

Marvelous stuff, and another great moment from a great season.

Coventry faded a little and finished sixth, but that was the peak of his Highfield Road years (along with the 1981 League Cup run) .

There's so much more I could add, and below I'll post a few more highlights (including his incredibly successful time in Turkey), but here ends part one of the story.

torchomatic

That's great. Gordon Milne was the manager when I first started going up City reguarly and then home and away most weeks. Fond memories of those times, those players and that kit! Great stuff.

DrPoolittle

Same here. Gordon Milne was the first Cov manager I remember. He might remember me but not sure. If only he had had the money that other Cov managers were given

Bidda

Same here. Gordon Milne was the first Cov manager I remember. He might remember me but not sure. If only he had had the money that other Cov managers were given
Always had a lot of time for Gordon Milne. I wrote to him after we got a 3-3 draw at West Brom in Feb ‘78 asking why he hadn’t brought on our sub, John Beck, earlier in the game as l felt he could have got us a win. He didn’t reply (not surprising, really, as l hadn’t a clue). 🙄

Milne Out

First chant I remember
“Milne Out” !

that and the Slow Hand Clap

was it Gordon that used the phrase
“Nucleus of a good side” at the start of every season

my favourite era , remembered fondly
Sat in the West Stand, Block R , Row F with my Dad
Amongst men in Donkey Jackets , who had just come straight from working the Saturday morning overtime shift in the factories

DrPoolittle

Always had a lot of time for Gordon Milne. I wrote to him after we got a 3-3 draw at West Brom in Feb ‘78 asking why he hadn’t brought on our sub, John Beck, earlier in the game as l felt he could have got us a win. He didn’t reply (not surprising, really, as l hadn’t a clue). 🙄

same season that Everton whipped us 6-0 and WBA beat us 7-1?
it all blurs now

my first game: Feb 78 Cov v Liverpool

play_in_skyblue_stripes

First chant I remember
“Milne Out” !

that and the Slow Hand Clap

was it Gordon that used the phrase
“Nucleus of a good side” at the start of every season

my favourite era , remembered fondly
Sat in the West Stand, Block R , Row F with my Dad
Amongst men in Donkey Jackets , who had just come straight from working the Saturday morning overtime shift in the factories
Gordon was a good manager but I did own a "Milne Out" T-shirt.

Bidda

same season that Everton whipped us 6-0 and WBA beat us 7-1?
it all blurs now

my first game: Feb 78 Cov v Liverpool
A client took me to watch Man City vs Chelsea and City won (l think, 6-0). A happy outcome until l found out that Everton had thrashed us by the same score. I remember the 7-1 loss at WBA too. Willie Johnston tearing Brian Roberts a new one. The stuff of nightmares.

Brylowes

The era when I first started following city, wonderful times, remember the 4 v 2 win against league leaders Man City like it was yesterday, as an 8y/o I was sat with my dad & brother 3 rows from the back of the Sky Blue Stand midway between the Kop and the halfway line.
It was a Tuesday night and we’d met my dad at the pub before heading to the game, 1 v 0 down early and 2 v 1 down at H/T, the 2nd half was unbelievable and the atmosphere incredible, remember clearly feeling shocked as I heard my dad shout things I’d never heard him say before, when the 4th goal went in I must have been leaning against him because he jumped up and threw me up in the air and I landed on a bloke 2 rows in front 😂 never been the same since.

skyblue025

I was mates and went to school with Gordon's son Ian. Great times. I remember going to his house in Burbage, massive place with a tennis court. Great manager for us. Imagine a manager now getting us to 6th in Prem!

Sapporo

I was mates and went to school with Gordon's son Ian. Great times. I remember going to his house in Burbage, massive place with a tennis court. Great manager for us. Imagine a manager now getting us to 6th in Prem!

I'd love to hear more. Which school? What age?

In his book Gordon tells a great story about how he met Edith, his wife. He was playing tennis with his Preston teammate David Kerry and on the neighbouring court were two young girls, Edith and Barbara. The lads started 'showing off' - and it led to two weddings.

Gordon and Edith are still doing fine. He's 86. David and Barbara were also married for over 50 years before David passed away fairly recently.

Langers70

Or the festive “Old Five”
Against Norwich at HR

Think that was the day Wallace scored an overhead kick ?
Which meant every time we played football in the park for the next 18 months , we attempted to bicycle kick every ball that came our way !
That was my first game with my Dad ❤️

Sapporo

Here's Part Two:

Back to 1977/78.

At the start of that season, Brian Clough made a key tactical decision. As John Robertson explains in his autobiography, Clough didn't think he could afford to play with two wingers now they were in the top flight. In Division Two, he'd often put Robertson on the left and Terry Curran on the right, but now he decided to tighten things up and put Martin O'Neill in right midfield, in place of Curran, and keep just Robertson as an orthodox winger on the other side.

At exactly the same time, Gordon Milne was weighing up the same tactical options, and reaching precisely the opposite conclusion. A week before the League season began, while Forest were trying out their new defensive formation in a friendly at Skegness, Milne tried out his new attacking line-up in a game at Second Division Charlton. Ray Graydon had been signed from Aston Villa, and he and Tommy Hutchison were the wide men in a 4-2-4 system, with Ferguson and Wallace up front. There were just two men, Terry Yorath and Barry Powell, in midfield.

Coventry lost 4-1.

This was Neville Foulger in the Evening Telegraph on Monday:

Coventry's plan to brighen up their image with an adventurous attacking policy backfired alarmingly in this final practice match at The Valley. It is shattering to think what sides like Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City might do to them.

But like so many times in his career, Milne held his nerve and stuck to his guns - with the thrilling results that were described above.

1980/ 81

This was Gordon's last season in charge of first team affairs before he became General Manager role in 1981/82. That was a switch he didn't enjoy, and a year later he went back to a hands-on role at Leicester City. At that time, Leicester were in Division Two, with Coventry of course still in the top flight. But it would have been different had the games against Leicester in 1980/81 gone the other way. The Sky Blues did the double over the Foxes that season, and had those results been reversed, Leicester would have stayed up, and Coventry would have gone down.

Tommy English, who would later follow Milne to Filbert Street, was the key man in those games against Leicester. He got one of the goals in a 3-1 win at Filbert Street in November 1980, then in the 4-1 win at Highfield Road in March he got a hat-trick.

Here you can see all four goals:

oct 80.png

Eng 1.png

Eng 2.png

Eng 3.png

There's something great about old black and white action shots, isn't there? If you don't agree, here's the action form that 3-1 win at Filbert Street:

Besiktas

Within the space of three days in the summer of 1987, two European clubs appointed new managers. Arrigo Sacchi was the new man at Milan, and Gordon Milne was unveiled at Beşiktaş, one of the big three clubs in Istanbul. There would seem to be no connection between those two appointments, apart from their chronological proximity. Except that four years later, two European clubs would go down in history as 'the invincibles', going through the entire League season unbeaten. One was Milan, the team Sacchi built and had just passed on to Fabio Capello, the other was Milne's Beşiktaş. Of course, Serie A was a much higher level of football. But still, it's an incredible achievement.

Gordon enjoyed a glorious six year spell at the club, and those of you who still have 'Milne Out' t-shirts in the attic may find it hard to believe that he has god-like status in Turkey. The atmosphere at the Inonu Stadium was a little different to Highfield Road and Filbert Street. This clip is from after he was there, but gives you a good idea. It's from their Champions League game v Man U in 2009:

Ooh - looks like there might be a problem with that video. If it's not working, look at this, from the day when Gordon's side sealed the title for the first time in 1990.

More to come later.

Last edited:

play_in_skyblue_stripes

The era when I first started following city, wonderful times, remember the 4 v 2 win against league leaders Man City like it was yesterday, as an 8y/o I was sat with my dad & brother 3 rows from the back of the Sky Blue Stand midway between the Kop and the halfway line.
It was a Tuesday night and we’d met my dad at the pub before heading to the game, 1 v 0 down early and 2 v 1 down at H/T, the 2nd half was unbelievable and the atmosphere incredible, remember clearly feeling shocked as I heard my dad shout things I’d never heard him say before, when the 4th goal went in I must have been leaning against him because he jumped up and threw me up in the air and I landed on a bloke 2 rows in front 😂 never been the same since.
Yes that was some game, I can still see in my mind Fergie's poke over the goalie for 4th goal in the West end.

Wolves_SkyBlue

Here's Part Two:

Back to 1977/78.

At the start of that season, Brian Clough made a key tactical decision. As John Robertson explains in his autobiography, Clough didn't think he could afford to play with two wingers now they were in the top flight. In Division Two, he'd often put Robertson on the left and Terry Curran on the right, but now he decided to tighten things up and put Martin O'Neill in right midfield, in place of Curran, and keep just Robertson as an orthodox winger on the other side.

At exactly the same time, Gordon Milne was weighing up the same tactical options, and reaching precisely the opposite conclusion. A week before the League season began, while Forest were trying out their new defensive formation in a friendly at Skegness, Milne tried out his new attacking line-up in a game at Second Division Charlton. Ray Graydon had been signed from Aston Villa, and he and Tommy Hutchison were the wide men in a 4-2-4 system, with Ferguson and Wallace up front. There were just two men, Terry Yorath and Barry Powell, in midfield.

Coventry lost 4-1.

This was Neville Foulger in the Evening Telegraph on Monday:

Coventry's plan to brighen up their image with an adventurous attacking policy backfired alarmingly in this final practice match at The Valley. It is shattering to think what sides like Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City might do to them.

But like so many times in his career, Milne held his nerve and stuck to his guns - with the thrilling results that were described above.

1980/ 81

This was Gordon's last season in charge of first team affairs before he became General Manager role in 1981/82. That was a switch he didn't enjoy, and a year later he went back to a hands-on role at Leicester City. At that time, Leicester were in Division Two, with Coventry of course still in the top flight. But it would have been different had the games against Leicester in 1980/81 gone the other way. The Sky Blues did the double over the Foxes that season, and had those results been reversed, Leicester would have stayed up, and Coventry would have gone down.

Tommy English, who would later follow Milne to Filbert Street, was the key man in those games against Leicester. He got one of the goals in a 3-1 win at Filbert Street in November 1980, then in the 4-1 win at Highfield Road in March he got a hat-trick.

Here you can see all four goals:

View attachment 32771

View attachment 32772

View attachment 32773

View attachment 32774

There's something great about old black and white action shots, isn't there? If you don't agree, here's the action form that 3-1 win at Filbert Street:

Besiktas

Within the space of three days in the summer of 1987, two European clubs appointed new managers. Arrigo Sacchi was the new man at Milan, and Gordon Milne was unveiled at Beşiktaş, one of the big three clubs in Istanbul. There would seem to be no connection between those two appointments, apart from their chronological proximity. Except that four years later, two European clubs would go down in history as 'the invincibles', going through the entire League season unbeaten. One was Sacchi's Milan, the other was Milne's Beşiktaş. Of course, Serie A was a much higher level of football. But still, it's an incredible achievement.

Gordon enjoyed a glorious six year spell at the club, and those of you who still have 'Milne Out' t-shirts in the attic may find it hard to believe that he has god-like status in Turkey. The atmosphere at the Inonu Stadium was a little different to Highfield Road and Filbert Street. This clip is from after he was there, but gives you a good idea. It's from their Champions League game v Man U in 2009:

Ooh - looks like there might be a problem with that video. If it's not working, look at this, from the day when Gordon's side sealed the title for the first time in 1990.

More to come later.

I went for a short break in Istanbul a few years ago and the hotel organised a tour of one of the local markets with a guide. Fenerbahçe had just won the title for a record time so their colours were everywhere. I asked the guide to see if any of the stall holders had heard of Coventry City and immediately they all started shouting “Gordon Milne! Gordon Milne!” - bloke is an absolute legend out there.

skyblue025

I'd love to hear more. Which school? What age?

In his book Gordon tells a great story about how he met Edith, his wife. He was playing tennis with his Preston teammate David Kerry and on the neighbouring court were two young girls, Edith and Barbara. The lads started 'showing off' - and it led to two weddings.

Gordon and Edith are still doing fine. He's 86. David and Barbara were also married for over 50 years before David passed away fairly recently.
It was Hastings High School I went there from 11-14 years of age then our family moved to Blackpool and we lost touch.
Ian was a good footballer and did a year or 2 as a YTS at Leicester while his dad was manager. He got released and opened a really successful goalkeeper kit business the last I heard of him.

tisza

Milne was my "first manager". 1977/78 we were top 2 or 3 for goals scored but we couldn't defend for love nor money - lot of injuries at the back Inc Graham Oakey who could have had an outstanding career.

oscillatewildly

Hate to be a pedant but we finished 7th in 1977/78 - Just missing out on UEFA cup football. If Arsenal had beaten Ipswich in that years cup final their European comp would have been the Cup Winners Cup and we would have taken the last place for UEFA cup.

Covcraig@bury

This is my first post on here. I've been researching the career of Gordon Milne and his father Jimmy, a truly remarkable tale that stretches across seven decades. The story was so fascinating that I was thinking of contacting him and suggesting we write a book together. Little did I know that he'd already written one! It came out last month, and having read it, I can tell you it's a fascinaitng read.

All that research won't going to waste, though. As a taster for the book, I'll post here a brief run through of the key moments in that story, with a special focus on Coventry City. I hope you enjoy it.

1) Two Hillsborough Cup Ties

It's a tale that covers most of the 20th Century, and to illustrate that, let's have a look at two cup ties at Hillsborough, 76 years apart.

In January 1911, Southern League Coventry City recorded the most impressive result yet in their short history. Having shaken the football world the previous season with their run to the FA Cup Quarter-Finals, they were at it again a year later. Given a tough away tie at Sheffield Wednesday in the First Round, they come away with a 2-1 win. This was an even bigger shock than the victories over Preston and Nottingham Forest the year before - Wednesday would finish the season in sixth place in Division One.

This was how the Athletic News opened its report:

View attachment 32734

Coventry were drawn away to fellow Southern Leaguers Brighton in the next round, and as they prepared for that game, nearly 400 miles away in Dundee, James Low Milne was born.

76 years later, Coventry City went back to Hillsborough for another famous FA Cup victory - this time in the semi-final against Leeds United. As they were preparing for the final, they went to Filbert Street to play a seemingly meaningless League game that finished 1-1. Except that it wasn't meaningless for Leicester City, or their General Manager Gordon Milne, son of James. Their failure to take three points that day was the key result in the run-in, taking their destiny out of their hands. Five days later, their drop into the second tier was confirmed.

That spoiled a proud record for the Milne family, as until that moment, neither father nor son, as player or manager, had experienced relegation. And strictly speaking, that record was still in tact, for as General Manager, Milne did not have direct control over first team affairs. That was Bryan Hamilton's job. Milne had 'moved upstairs' a year earlier, having successfully kept them in Division One for three seasons while he was in charge. Gordon was good at that - it's why Leicester City apponted him in the first place. Before he moved to Filbert Street, he was boss at Coventry City where, against all the odds, he had kept the Sky Blues in the top flight for nine years.

As we shall see though, that was not all he achieved in his time at Highfield Road.

2) Jimmy Milne

This is Jimmy Milne, the player. First in the black and white hoops of Dundee United (before they switched to tangerine) and then in the colours of Preston North End. He made his debut for Dundee United in 1930, aged 19, then transfered to Preston in 1932.

View attachment 32735

While at Deepdale, he was in the same half back line as another Scot, Bill Shankly. They both lived in club-owned houses, just yards from the ground, and Shankly would often play football in the street with Jimmy's young son Gordon. You can see on this map from the 1940s, with the Milne house highlighted, just how close to Deepdale it was. Shankly lived directly opposite:

View attachment 32736

There's a wonderful passage in Gordon's book in which he remembers those kick-abouts with Shankly - the title of the book, in fact, is 'Shankly, My Dad and Me'.

Preston made it to the FA Cup Final in 1937, where they lost to Sunderland. A year later they were back at Wembley, and this time they triumphed, beaitng Huddersfield 1-0. Bill Shankly had his first major honour, but it was heartbreak for Jimmy Milne. He missed the final through injury, a fate that his son would also suffer three decades later.

3) Gordon's Playing Days:

After the war, Jimmy became Preston's trainer. Gordon started his career at Deepdale shortly afterwards, but having your father around all the time it isn't an ideal situation. He wanted his independence, and in 1960 he moved to Anfield - signed, of course, by Bill Shankly.

View attachment 32737

He was a key member of the Liverpool side that won promotion in 1961/62, and a year later, Alf Ramsey gave him his England debut, against Brazil.

Look at this freeze frame, taken just 12 seconds into that match. Bobby Charlton is in possession on the left, and the man with his arms raised, eager to get his first touch in international football, is Gordon:

View attachment 32739

Let's see what happened next:

Had that gone in, it would have been the most sensational start ever to an England career.

Gordon won two League titles in the mid-60, but missed Liverpool'S first ever FA Cup win in 1965 because of injury. He would also miss out on the 1966 World Cup. He was chosen in the preliminary squad of 28, but left out of the final party. It may be some consolation that he went on to enjoy a more succesful managerial career than any of the 22 players Ramsey selected.

4) Move into Management

Jimmy Milne took over as boss at Deepdale shortly after Gordon left for Liverpool. That was at the start of the 60s, and at the end of the decade, Gordon himself moved into management, aged just 32. He joined the ambitious Northern Premier League club Wigan Athletic.

He enjoyed instant success, and caught the eye of the Football Association, who appointed him manager of the England Youth team in 1971. A year later came glory in Spain as he led England to victory in the European Youth Championships. It was that triumph that led to Coventry giving him the manager's job in 1972, alongside Joe Mercer.

This is not a great quality photo, but it captures a moment in time, just after he was given the job at Highfield Road. Young, suave and successful, he looks for all the world as though he's about to announce his candidacy for the presidency of the United States:

View attachment 32742

If anyone has a better quality version of that image, please post it below.

5) Milne v Clough

I mentioned that before I found out about his book, I was thinking of contacting Gordon, and in fact, I did speak to him last month. We chatted about the various stages of his career, and he stressed that at the start of every season at Highfield Road, the bookies had the Sky Blues down as relegation favourites. There were a few close scrapes in the years 1972-1981, but Gordon managed to keep Coventry up every time.

I think the most interesting season though was 1977/78, when Nottingham Forest pulled off that incredible title win. Look closely at that season and you see that at one point, Milne's team were right up there with Clough's side at the top of the table.

Look at this sequence of results in the autumn:

View attachment 32745

Looking back at match reports from that time, it's clear that Coventry were playing scintillating football:

From the 4-2 win over Man City: The second half must rank as the greatest 45 minutes of attacking football City have produced in ten years of First Division soccer.

From the 3-2 win at Spurs: From the first kick, they attacked. (that was in the League Cup)

From the 1-0 win v West Ham: They are prepared to gamble heavily on a total commitment to attacking football

From the 1-1 draw at Arsenal: The thunderous applause at the end was I’m sure for both clubs.

From the 4-1 win v QPR: They’re the best side we’ve faced this season by a long way (Rangers boss Frank Sibley).

All that left Coventry in third place in the table, just two points behind Forest after 16 games. Shortly after that came the key game - at the City Ground. Milne wasn't about to change the approach -they went out and attacked.

It ended in a 2-1 defeat, but Clough's assistant Peter Taylor said, They’re easily the best side we’ve played this season. Milne himself said, We get tremendodus satisfaction from playing this way and people get satisfaction from watching us. Sometimes that is more important than winning and losing.

What a glorious time that must have been. If you have memories of that autumn, I'd love to hear them.

I asked Gordon about that season and he said this:

I didn’t put this in the book, but Clough was receiving an award on Midlands TV and I was watching and he said "This shouldn’t be mine, this should be going to that young man in Coventry".

6)
No Swearing

Right in the middle of that autumn came another fascinating Milne-Clough moment:

Do you remember this?

View attachment 32747

That was Clough's appeal to the Forest fans in October 1977. But it was actually a two-man campaign. A few days later, Gordon Milne made this appeal to Coventry City fans:

View attachment 32748

At Highfield Road two days later came that 1-0 victory over West Ham, and among the chants from the home end that day were:

'We are not allowed to swear' (to the tune of 'Bread of Heaven' - the 'we'll support you evermore' melody)

'You're a bounder, you're a bounder, you're a bounder referee!'

'What the flip, what the flip, what the flippin hell was that?'

Marvelous stuff, and another great moment from a great season.

Coventry faded a little and finished sixth, but that was the peak of his Highfield Road years (along with the 1981 League Cup run) .

There's so much more I could add, and below I'll post a few more highlights (including his incredibly successful time in Turkey), but here ends part one of the

clint van damme

I hate to be the one but...

7th*

It's OK, you weren't!

Hate to be a pedant but we finished 7th in 1977/78 - Just missing out on UEFA cup football. If Arsenal had beaten Ipswich in that years cup final their European comp would have been the Cup Winners Cup and we would have taken the last place for UEFA cup.

clint van damme

Excellent! The cowardly thing to do would be to delete it and look less of a pedantic twat, but I'll leave it as my reputation's ruined anyway.

Its quite an important point given we went however long it was without a top 6 finish, won't do to be knocking a decade or so off.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Under Milne we had a fantastic squad capable of beating literally anyone. Even those players who were in and out of the team and often on the bench were real quality : Jimmy Holmes, Les Cartwright, Alan Green etc. Gordon was a gentlemen. Always had time to sign autographs when I went to Ryton to watch them train. He was articulate, motivating and had an excellent rapport with supporters.
I was too young to remember the Jimmy Jimmy Hill era and Gordon Milne was the first manager I can recall watching city under. He will always be, for me , the best manager we ever had. That's no disrespect to anyone else, particularly Sillett/Curtis and Mark Robins, but it's because of Milne that my interest in city has lasted almost 50 years.

wantageskyblue

I started going regularly in 77/8 and I went to all the games in the quoted sequence apart from Spurs away.

I also went to the Bristol City away game which iirc was the last game of the season. Had we won I think we would have sneaked into 6th place ( but I may well be wrong on that though). The game finished 1-1 with Ian Wallace scoring another overhead kick.

Tile Hill Phil

That’s right hated Ipswich ever since 😂 Seriously I remember Arsenal being red hot favourites to win the fa cup. Don’t know if anyone remembers but the club was so confident of playing in Europe the following season they had silk scarves made with Europe on them.

Sapporo

Hey thanks! Not pedantry at all. An important correction. Where did I get 6th from? Must have been confusing it with 69/70.

Users who are viewing this thread