Gordon Banks R.I.P (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

Arguably best save ever v pele in 1970 World Cup match.
A legend of the game in England and across the world.
RIP England’s number 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

England's greatest ever keeper IMO and would definitely make my all-time world cup squad.

RIP

Adge

Arguably best save ever v pele in 1970 World Cup match.
A legend of the game in England and across the world.
RIP England’s number 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RIP indeed! As a side note I thought the save was good but people over hyped it because it was Pele maybe?

Paxman II

It was a magnificent save and only appreciated in the moment tbf.
An absolute gent and tremendous goalkeeper who had everything. Not many can sit along side him.
RIP.

NortonSkyBlue

Like Bobby Moore, Banks never played for a big club and went under the radar in club football but was made for the international game.
He got a great reception when we played Stoke City at HR. Revered.
Leicester moved him on as they had Shilton coming through at 16 years old. Imagine that!
Stoke had some great older players guided by Tony Waddington, that made them a tough opponent who could beat anyone on their day.
I remember the season we got in to Europe destroying us 0-3 at HR.
I loved the headline in the papers "Banks of England"

Was the visiting keeper at my first City match at Highfield Road.Ernie Hunt scored for us in a 1-1 draw. Two great players now sadly gone from that game.

oucho

Makes me annoyed when people refer to the likes of the so-called Golden Generation as 'England greats', such hyperbole is bloody insulting when you put such players alongside the likes of Gordon Banks.

covhead1

It saddened me to hear of his death, he was one of my childhood heroes.

RIP Gordon Banks

Gazolba

What's also sad is the BBC website won't let anyone outside the UK watch the clip of his save against Pele.
Stupid when I can go right to Youtube and watch it.

CJ_covblaze

What's also sad is the BBC website won't let anyone outside the UK watch the clip of his save against Pele.
Stupid when I can go right to Youtube and watch it.

Just watch it on YouTube then. It's understandable the BBC doesn't show the footage outside the UK. How can they if they don't have the rights?

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

Banks was an all time great and it's a travesty he didn't get a knighthood. In fact the whole team should have. I had the pleasure of meeting him twice. Once when I served him when I had a bar job at a hotel and the other time a few years later at an FA event. He was a complete gentleman and I could see why he had the respect of countless players across several generations.

SkyBlueCRJ

Banks was an all time great and it's a travesty he didn't get a knighthood. In fact the whole team should have. I had the pleasure of meeting him twice. Once when I served him when I had a bar job at a hotel and the other time a few years later at an FA event. He was a complete gentleman and I could see why he had the respect of countless players across several generations.

They were saying on Talk Sport that he should be given a posthumous knighthood to honour him. Might have a few disagree with me but I don't think that honours him at all. Just proves that only once you're dead do people start truly acknowledging your achievements. As you say though, travesty he didn't get one.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You cease to be a knight of the realm when you die, so a posthumous knighthood isn't a thing.

Should've had one 50 years ago.

Gazolba

You don't get a knighthood (or deserve one) for just being famous or for just one achievement. It takes more than that.
You have to use your fame for the good of society, such as promoting charitable causes.

CJ_covblaze

You don't get a knighthood (or deserve one) for just being famous or for just one achievement. It takes more than that.
You have to use your fame for the good of society, such as promoting charitable causes.

The entire 1966 team should've got one as soon as they retired. The same goes in 2003.

NortonSkyBlue

The entire 1966 team should've got one as soon as they retired. The same goes in 2003.
I disagree with the premise that sports people should get a knighthood. Nor do I believe that actors and singers should receive them.
I would have given Kenny Dalglish one for his work on behalf of Hillsborough and breast cancer and Ian Botham for his charity walks but not for excelling at sport.
I was surprised when all the England cricketers got awards in 05 including Paul Collingwood who featured in one test. It was one series.
You can make a case for Matt Busby but then why not Paisley?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Thinking about it, I tend to now agree that sports people shouldn't be knighted. Let's face it, cyclists? What did Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins ever do for charity or their country? And Mo bloody Farrah? Jeez!

Users who are viewing this thread