Good win for 'Gene' and Oxford tonight (1 Viewer)

1-0 in the JPT against Di Canio's Swindon.

Could this be his parting gift before heading our way? ...and never managing a win again?

I was there and he didn't seem to make a big thing out of it. Listening to him on SSN he seemed v nervous and side stepped any talk of the job so make of that what you will. Oxford played with a hell of a lot of passion and commitment and looked like they were playing for the manager and the fans. Something we can only dream of at present. The atmosphere was also electric in a 3 sided ground....sometimes makes you realise how lucky we are?

Sky Blues

I was there and he didn't seem to make a big thing out of it. Listening to him on SSN he seemed v nervous and side stepped any talk of the job so make of that what you will. Oxford played with a hell of a lot of passion and commitment and looked like they were playing for the manager and the fans. Something we can only dream of at present. The atmosphere was also electric in a 3 sided ground....sometimes makes you realise how lucky we are?

I'd be careful about reading too much into Wilder from that one game. We had some passion in the Brum game didn't we? Derby games are good for that, and in the lower leagues they don't come much more bitter than Oxford - Swindon.

Thanks for the report though.

I'd be careful about reading too much into Wilder from that one game. We had some passion in the Brum game didn't we? Derby games are good for that, and in the lower leagues they don't come much more bitter than Oxford - Swindon.

Thanks for the report though.

Yep, agree about the brum game and have been to numerous Oxford v Swindon games in the past so know what there all about. I wasn't overly keen on having wilder having seen Oxford many times over the years but he is starting to grow on me funnily. What will be will be I suppose

Sky Blues

I've seen a few Oxford games and their support are a pretty good bunch generally. But if you think our fans can be negative you ain't seen nothing. I was at an Oxford game once where Joey Beauchamp was having a stinker. Now this was after his spell at Swindon, so you have to take that into account, but even so I have never seen, before or since, fans chanting for their own player to be sent off after he has committed a foul! :D

Last edited:
I know, they love a good moan like most do and halfway through last season wanted Wilder gone. How things change now he is the best thing since sliced bread after a few decent results! Good job football fans aren't fickle. May I add Wilder is currently 11th in the longest serving managers list, something we crave-stability

May I add Wilder is currently 11th in the longest serving managers list, something we crave-stability

Very interesting statistic. Stability - another thing we can only dream of.

From the games you have seen, is he able to motivate the players for the uninspiring fixtures? The ones they're expected to win?

This is the key factor for me. I've no doubt we can achieve a top 6 finish with the players we've got.

From the games you have seen, is he able to motivate the players for the uninspiring fixtures? The ones they're expected to win?

Well he managed to get them out the conference (after a couple of managers couldnt) and there are many uninspiring places in that league let me tell you! His tactical nouse is improving and adapted his game plan the other night which came to fruition v late on. The biggest thing personally which I envy is that he has spent time along with Andy Meville on the defensive aspect and they conceed v few.

Sutty

I've seen a few Oxford games and their support are a pretty good bunch generally. But if you think our fans can be negative you ain't seen nothing. I was at an Oxford game once where Joey Beauchamp was having a stinker. Now this was after his spell at Swindon, so you have to take that into account, but even so I have never seen, before or since, fans chanting for their own player to be sent off after he has committed a foul! :D

Step forward CCFC fans! We called for Kevin Kyle to be sent off after commiting a foul. What a lovely bunch we are.

Diehard Si

Step forward CCFC fans! We called for Kevin Kyle to be sent off after commiting a foul. What a lovely bunch we are.

I remember that game. He was dire in the first half but the 2nd half he came out a diff player, got really stuck in, the got sent off.

Not sure he ever played again.

Well he managed to get them out the conference (after a couple of managers couldnt) and there are many uninspiring places in that league let me tell you! His tactical nouse is improving and adapted his game plan the other night which came to fruition v late on. The biggest thing personally which I envy is that he has spent time along with Andy Meville on the defensive aspect and they conceed v few.

Sounds like we could do worse then.

Users who are viewing this thread