good news rolling in! (1 Viewer)

skybluejack10

who would of thought at the end of last season after match after match of heroic permormances for cov that many fans would in fact be excited about the prospect of keogh leaving!
i am one of those fans. i love keogh, he is brilliant and worked incredibly hard for the club in the time he's been here. But with the news that coventry have accepted a bid from derby for keogh, understood to be in the region of 250k payed up front with another 750k being payed over the next 12 months. Not only that, but this deal could also involve a derby player sent in exchange. With it being rumoured that this player is a 19 year old, 6ft, 4" starlet callum ball, things look good. And whoever the player really is, whether that be callum or somebody else, it looks as though they will travel to cov on a season long loan deal with a view to a perminent deal if we fancy him!
Bring on the season, PUSB <3

skybluejack10

we've already got edjenguele, malaga, wood, willis, cameron and henderson
for him, we could get 1 mil plus another player and with the money from the sale could get 1 or 2 more players in
for one player, we could strengthen the team as a whole

S

SkyBlue Baker96

Where is this from? If we did get that then Waggot should get a knight hood ;)
I'm not sure if true but was just saying if it does turn out to be true then yes Waggott needs a Knighthood for his wonderful efforts ;)

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I agree! Though not excited, I am confident that we can cope well without Keogh now. When you drop a league it is obvious you will lose your best players... and as long as you replace them with half decent ones (which we have) then you can't really complain too much, it could be worse. We will be fine this season and may even be pushing to go back up. Happy with the way this pre season is going. Probably the most active for a good few years, at least it isn't boring.

The aim was to "rebuild" after all!

Sky Blue Sheepy

£500k + player (hopefully Callam Ball - sounds good) for a player in the league year of his contract, now at a League 1 club isn't bad, £1m + player would be incredible but,as said above, unlikely

Moff

who the feck is calum ball? Am i the only one who hasnt heard of him?

Is he the one with the red braces who says Rock On Tommy?

(Sorry couldnt resist a crap Cannon and Ball joke and for all you youngsters not of my age check out the naff comedy duo on Wiki)

skybluegod

we've already got edjenguele, malaga, wood, willis, cameron and henderson
for him, we could get 1 mil plus another player and with the money from the sale could get 1 or 2 more players in
for one player, we could strengthen the team as a whole

you are possibly the highest person on this forum, wood's injury record is not good willis and henderson are inexperienced and edjenguele and malaga have never played in England before. Keogh however has 8 years of exp and has played 91 out of 92 games for us in league and more in cup matches.

Yorkshire SB

Excited by the thought of losing our best player? Are you on crack?

So what we're losing an average championship defender who happened to stand out in our team. We were always going to lose Keogh and it's how we've responded, which has left a feeling of optimism and excitement!

Willsy

So what we're losing an average championship defender who happened to stand out in our team.

Much agreed, the two french lads look promising (albit it against weaker opposition) and youth in reserve. For the first time in years iam optomistic :D

Grendel

you are possibly the highest person on this forum, wood's injury record is not good willis and henderson are inexperienced and edjenguele and malaga have never played in England before. Keogh however has 8 years of exp and has played 91 out of 92 games for us in league and more in cup matches.

Other than lady season Wood has been virtually ever present for us and Sheffield. He has played 90 more league games than Cranie and they are of a similar age.

skybluejack10

Keogh is also wanted by Cardiff City and Leeds United but a move to Pride Park would suit the Sky Blues because it is understood to involve a cash plus player sweetener – County offering the services of a current squad member with first-team experience on a long-term loan with a view to a permanent deal.

The player has not been named but, having signed French centre-halves Kevin Malaga and William Edjenguélé, manager Andy Thorn has indicated that his priority is to strengthen higher up the pitch.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...r-richard-keogh-92746-31427377/#ixzz214xEP0vz

and the other day on a derby forum it was going round that they were gonna offer 250k rising to 1mil over a year, although that was before the news of the player exchange deal.
and apparently cardiff have dropped out of discussions becasue derby were willing to pay higher wages for keogh

skybluedaze

Excited by the thought of losing our best player? Are you on crack?

:thinking about: I don't think it's good business at all. It sounded like he wanted out so probably for the best in the end. Callum Ball might be ok at a lower level so potential decent sweetner.

Last edited:

Stevec189

Very good business. £1M for an average defender who made costly positional decisions far to often and we get the rent paid for a year ! Looks like a suitable business model has been put in place. Now if people would get off their arses and go and see them play we could be building something very exciting! PUSB

skybluegod

Very good business. £1M for an average defender who made costly positional decisions far to often and we get the rent paid for a year ! Looks like a suitable business model has been put in place. Now if people would get off their arses and go and see them play we could be building something very exciting! PUSB

You are one of very few supporters which think this Keogh is better than average and one of the best defenders we've had in year probably, he probably saved us about 5/6 points this year with some of his tackles his blocks he was our best player this season by a mile. he is low prem top 6 champ player easy.

Delboycov

You are one of very few supporters which think this Keogh is better than average and one of the best defenders we've had in year probably, he probably saved us about 5/6 points this year with some of his tackles his blocks he was our best player this season by a mile. he is low prem top 6 champ player easy.

Totally agree with that...as soon as anyone leaves us they automatically become "average". He's a lot better than that as anyone who has watched him regularly would testify if they commented without emotion. Very good business in view of the time left on his contract...but excited by it? I'll leave the cartwheels to others who clearly have more faith than me.

Stevec189

The clubs that bid for him and where he has gone would suggest otherwise. Diving in and making last ditch tackles does not make you a good defender. It does show commitment and I never said he wasn't committed. Same with McPake only he was a lot worse! He was in the wrong place on many occasions when we conceded which left Craine exposed. Craine is a much better defender but lacks consistency. Look at how good Turner was. Makes Keogh look average which he is. PUSB

Yorkshire SB

You massively underestimate the difference in quality between the leagues, there's no way Keogh has the technical quality to be a premier league defender. Scott Dann in my eyes was different class, and he's a low prem player. Keogh is a good player and I love his attitude, throws himself into tackles, heart on the sleeve kinda bloke (a typical fans favourite), but ultimately he lacks a bit of real quality. Compare him with Dann who was a good few years younger, Dann positionally was so aware and his composure on the ball was really excellent, these are two very under rated quality in a defender. On average most defenders will only make about 3 tackles a game the rest are interceptions and I think this is often where Keogh falls short.

Sky Blue Sheepy

You massively underestimate the difference in quality between the leagues, there's no way Keogh has the technical quality to be a premier league defender. Scott Dann in my eyes was different class, and he's a low prem player. Keogh is a good player and I love his attitude, throws himself into tackles, heart on the sleeve kinda bloke (a typical fans favourite), but ultimately he lacks a bit of real quality. Compare him with Dann who was a good few years younger, Dann positionally was so aware and his composure on the ball was really excellent, these are two very under rated quality in a defender. On average most defenders will only make about 3 tackles a game the rest are interceptions and I think this is often where Keogh falls short.
Think this sums it up for me. He was good and committed Cranie played smarter on his good days. If you miss a slide tackle, you're out of the game for that move. By the time you're back on your feet, they've ran another 20 yards. Great championship defender and undoubtedly committed, but nothing we can't survive without as I have said this entire time. The clips of the Edjengeuele made him look very good in terms of positioning himself which is good to see.

Steve.B50

SISU have no idea and just trying to keep a few people happy and sell a few more tickets.

SISU OUT Full Stop.

Yorkshire SB

SISU have no idea and just trying to keep a few people happy and sell a few more tickets.

SISU OUT Full Stop.

That is just a wild statement. A club in League 1 gets significantly less income than clubs in the championship. We CANNOT afford to turn down a deal for Keogh that is rumoured in the one million pound region. Admittedly SISU have made poor decisions, as they have said, however I do not believe after this summer they are simply asset stripping. There appears to be an actual plan in place, and in order to execute the plan, the football club has to be run sustainably, and whilst we don't own the stadium, player sales is, unfortunately, a major source of income. They have clearly made money this summer to aid the finances, but also reinvested some into the side, and I don't know what else you honestly expect?

Ask yourself, is it was good business to sign a player for a million pounds who we could only keep for one year? Meaning that even if he played all 46 league games, which is unlikely (though with Keogh probably not), it would cost the club over £21000 a game, if you include wages you're looking at closer to £30000 per game. Because essentially had we kept Keogh, then he would have cost us that much a game. If he didn't want to sign a new contract and play for us, then ultimately there is nothing anyone can do, we HAD to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread