Golf. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 4232
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4232

Who plays?

I'm just starting to get into it. Bought a second hand Wormwood set, missing a hybrid and a 1W. Looking to buy a good driver and hybrid, second hand. Preferably over-sized for my newbie swing. Any recommendations?

I try to get to Johnny Rays driving range when I can. Haven't been out on a course yet, but will be looking to do a round at the windmill soon.

Any advice/reference materials you can point a newbie toward? Anyone you know who does lessons about coventry that you know is any good?

Also, want to hear your golfing stories.

Discuss.

D

Deleted member 4232

It's what I've always heard the first driver referred to as. Excuse my amateur.

Thanks for your contribution though Rich, good to have you.

Cheers CYF, I've heard of the lessons out there. I live in Coundon, so Johnny Rays is probably a bit closer.

Si80

I play. Have done since I was a nipper, but I've never put a card in so never been given a proper handicap.

Have a look at Taylor Made R11 stuff for your driver and fairway / hybrid woods. They play very nicely and are forgiving to the new player. I currently smash about with some Nike Pro Combo clubs and some rubbish Donnay woods.

blueflint

you can pick up some second hand bargains on e bay stay away from donnay there shitw

Ive got the clubs that I started with if you are after some irons. 30 quid. They aint a make but they did me for a few years.

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk 2

Covstu

I have played for about 10 years but very casually. Handicapp is about 20 still! I have just ibvested in a whole new set of Taylormade RBZ's (irons and driver) and absolutely loving em!

I recently sold my old R7's on ebay!

I would recommend lessons if you can afford it, go to John Raeys (driving range) and they have some good pro's up there. Rob Hunter is good, he will rip your whole game apart but trust me you need to percevere! He is also the pro at the windmill so you get a chance to go up there and get a lesson on course.

I would recommend Taylormade's or Nike's, but go for second hands if you can get some initially and if you keep it up you can invest!

D

Deleted member 4232

I have played for about 10 years but very casually. Handicapp is about 20 still! I have just ibvested in a whole new set of Taylormade RBZ's (irons and driver) and absolutely loving em!

I recently sold my old R7's on ebay!

I would recommend lessons if you can afford it, go to John Raeys (driving range) and they have some good pro's up there. Rob Hunter is good, he will rip your whole game apart but trust me you need to percevere! He is also the pro at the windmill so you get a chance to go up there and get a lesson on course.

I would recommend Taylormade's or Nike's, but go for second hands if you can get some initially and if you keep it up you can invest!
Thanks very much for the advice. You've hit my plan right on the head. I live close enough to Johnny Raey's and the Windmill is where I will play mostly, being in CV5.

I have a second hand Woodworm set of irons & putter. And older Wilson driver and I bought a cheap Wilson hybrid today.

Head up there often? We could go halves in some more lessons!

Thanks very much for the advice. You've hit my plan right on the head. I live close enough to Johnny Raey's and the Windmill is where I will play mostly, being in CV5.

I have a second hand Woodworm set of irons & putter. And older Wilson driver and I bought a cheap Wilson hybrid today.

The West Midlands is just a bit further up the A45 and is well worth a visit. If only for the challenge of the 18th.

Sutty

For buying clubs, make sure you get a second hand set from a respected name rather than a brand new set from, say, Argos. I'd much rather have some 8 year old Mizuno's for example than clubs from a brand that wouldn't spring to mind quickly.

You can find a hybrid on eBay I'd imagine, for a fairly good price. Again look for a good brand (Titleist, TaylorMade, Mizuno etc.).

Also I'd make sure your set of irons are cavity backs rather than blades. For beginners, cavity backs are the best option. They're far more forgiving, and certainly while you're learning the game you won't care about the extra distance you'd get from a set of blades.

Get a few lessons to learn the basics, practice your long shots on the range and work on your short game on a par 3 course or pitch and putt, and you'll be ready to get yourself a membership somewhere.

And finally, stick at it! It won't come easily, be ready to hack it round in ridiculously high numbers for a while, but you'll get there. Enjoy!

D

Deleted member 4232

For buying clubs, make sure you get a second hand set from a respected name rather than a brand new set from, say, Argos. I'd much rather have some 8 year old Mizuno's for example than clubs from a brand that wouldn't spring to mind quickly.

You can find a hybrid on eBay I'd imagine, for a fairly good price. Again look for a good brand (Titleist, TaylorMade, Mizuno etc.).

Also I'd make sure your set of irons are cavity backs rather than blades. For beginners, cavity backs are the best option. They're far more forgiving, and certainly while you're learning the game you won't care about the extra distance you'd get from a set of blades.

Get a few lessons to learn the basics, practice your long shots on the range and work on your short game on a par 3 course or pitch and putt, and you'll be ready to get yourself a membership somewhere.

And finally, stick at it! It won't come easily, be ready to hack it round in ridiculously high numbers for a while, but you'll get there. Enjoy!

Hah, thanks mate.

My Irons are cavity backed, enjoying my number 8. I've a mate who plays off a 5, so he is givng me my basic swing; Not going for power at the moment, but more about getting the swing right first.

love using a wedge!

Covstu

I get up there about once a week! I still have the odd lesson when my game is going wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread