Going out of the cup doesn't matter to me one bit (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

Seems losing Saturday has sparked a bit of a crop of negativity, doom and gloom amongst a number on here. First let me say i want to win every game but winning promotion is my priority. Not going to win the FA Cup and drawing a "big" boy in the third round may have given TM a bit extra in his budget but a lottery and a distraction. Okay a trip to Old Trafford would have bean great, but what if we had got Bournemouth away and thier 11000 gates, not a lot of money there. Mowbray left fit players out or squad didn't risk them i am certain with the next Saturdays trip to Colchester in mind. November is a critical month for us and being at least where we are league wise now is paramount, Armstrong missing next week too so a fit Joe Cole and Tudgay was essential. And at the end or the month we have a fortnights break due to being out of the cup too handy rest just before the tough trip to Sheffield United. I also expect at least one new face by the weekend too. So have confidence, onwards and upwards

Malaka

Sorry Rupert, I disagree. Yes promotion is important, but publicity, excitement, cash, momentum and going out in style would have been better than losing to Northampton and another miserable cup exit. Remember the buzz when we made the semi's of the league cup, the area final of the JPT and of course 87? it lifted the club, we needed that again. I'm well pissed off

chiefdave

Seems losing Saturday has sparked a bit of a crop of negativity, doom and gloom amongst a number on here. First let me say i want to win every game but winning promotion is my priority. Not going to win the FA Cup and drawing a "big" boy in the third round may have given TM a bit extra in his budget but a lottery and a distraction

I said before the game I wasn't that fussed if we lost. The problem I have is we put out what was pretty much our strongest available team on Saturday and didn't seem to even be in the game. That's a cause for concern. A lot of those who played Saturday will need to play a part in any promotion push.

From Mowbray's comments he at least sees the problems. Now we have to wait and see if he can fix them.

Monners

It gave TM a chance see where our issues are - and he concentrated on this in his comments after the game. Disappointing to lose in the way we did i.e. poor goals and little attacking threat. In a "normal" season, i would be pretty gutted, especially losing to Northampton where I have the pleasure of living. Friends of mine had a great day out, and were very complimetary of us as fans. Some were seeing it as a last hurrah for their club, so in the big scheme of things, I am not too fussed (as long as the league continues to be sound).

Ranjit Bhurpa

Tend to agree with Rupert's analysis. With the injuries and suspesions we have/have had/will continue to have, it's patently clear that we don't have the depth of squad to compete in the league and cup. God forbid we should lose any players, especially Fleck, Ricketts or Armstrong for any length of time.

Not really bothered by our cup exit, especially if it highlights the fragility of our squad to the powers that be, i.e. those above TM and MV, provided of course that a promotion push is on their agenda this season.

bawtryneal

You can tell from TM`s comments that he is disappointed and pissed off. I am as well. Drove 220 miles and saw a team outclassed by Northampton.
Role on Saturday !!!

Grendel

You can tell from TM`s comments that he is disappointed and pissed off. I am as well. Drove 220 miles and saw a team outclassed by Northampton.
Role on Saturday !!!

I got the impression from the interview he wasn't bothered.

I certainly didn't want a late equaliser. A draw was the worst result of the 3.

sotv1987

Seems losing Saturday has sparked a bit of a crop of negativity, doom and gloom amongst a number on here. First let me say i want to win every game but winning promotion is my priority. Not going to win the FA Cup and drawing a "big" boy in the third round may have given TM a bit extra in his budget but a lottery and a distraction. Okay a trip to Old Trafford would have bean great, but what if we had got Bournemouth away and thier 11000 gates, not a lot of money there. Mowbray left fit players out or squad didn't risk them i am certain with the next Saturdays trip to Colchester in mind. November is a critical month for us and being at least where we are league wise now is paramount, Armstrong missing next week too so a fit Joe Cole and Tudgay was essential. And at the end or the month we have a fortnights break due to being out of the cup too handy rest just before the tough trip to Sheffield United. I also expect at least one new face by the weekend too. So have confidence, onwards and upwards

spot on! IMO

CCFC88

Sorry Rupert, I disagree. Yes promotion is important, but publicity, excitement, cash, momentum and going out in style would have been better than losing to Northampton and another miserable cup exit. Remember the buzz when we made the semi's of the league cup, the area final of the JPT and of course 87? it lifted the club, we needed that again. I'm well pissed off

Look at Sheff Utd the last 2 seasons a FA cup semi and a League cup semi whilst finishing 7th and 5th (losing in the play off semi) respectively. They would have been favourites if not 2nd faves to win the league in both of these seasons, cup runs did not help them. Yes they would have made cash from those runs but theyre hardly setting L1 alight this season either so its either not been invested or invested badly.

bawtryneal

I got the impression from the interview he wasn't bothered.

I certainly didn't want a late equaliser. A draw was the worst result of the 3.

The City boss said: "A really disappointing day. We're out of the FA Cup which is never a good thing and the performance wasn't good enough.

TM`s comments on the Offal. Sums up how I feel.

Grendel

The City boss said: "A really disappointing day. We're out of the FA Cup which is never a good thing and the performance wasn't good enough.

TM`s comments on the Offal. Sums up how I feel.

What would you expect him to say? This season his CV depends on achieving what no one has in 40 years - not limping along into a replay for the f a cup 2nd round.

Macca

Generally speaking no one cares about the cup when we get knocked out yet when we get a plum tie against Arsenal Reserves Reserves Youth Team 8000 suddenly give a shit

letsallsingtogether

I am annoyed whatever game we lose, even if it is a pre season friendly :(

But your not allowed to be, we are after all certain for a top 6 finish now we are out of the cup

Nick

Administrator
But your not allowed to be, we are after all certain for a top 6 finish now we are out of the cup
I was annoyed after we drew with Oxford, I'd be annoyed if I was watching a training game and we lost!

Nothing wrong with wanting us to won every game whether it's a friendly or cup final.

letsallsingtogether

I was annoyed after we drew with Oxford, I'd be annoyed if I was watching a training game and we lost!

Nothing wrong with wanting us to won every game whether it's a friendly or cup final.

Exactly yet we have fans who are happy we lost?
Who wanted us to lose
If we end up outside of the playoffs the whole season will have been another failure at least if we had half a run in any cup it could have looked better.

Nick

Administrator
Who wanted us to lose
If we end up outside of the playoffs the whole season will have been another failure at least if we had half a run in any cup it could have looked better.
Yeah I don't agree with that, dont think I've ever been happy with losing. Even with a bet win against us to soften the blow!

letsallsingtogether

What would you expect him to say? This season his CV depends on achieving what no one has in 40 years - not limping along into a replay for the f a cup 2nd round.
So his CV looks better because we lost 3 cups all at the first attempt?
Strange.

bawtryneal

Wish he had made his intentions clear before we all spent Saturday following our team and dishing out £100,in my case, to follow our team.
If we can't beat Northampton then it's a poor show. If we were playing Arsenal or Man City then fair enough. TM expected us to win on Saturday. The fact you say otherwise is total bolloxs.
A replay woukd not have been needed had we won 2-0, which woukd have been the expectation.

Astute

Who wanted us to lose

Being happy that we lost and not being pissed off that we lost are two totally different things.

And what is wrong with looking at the positives of going out? We will be at an advantage over a club we play that has a midweek cup game and our players get a rest. We can't pick up any cup tie bookings. No cup tie injuries. And a reality check for anyone who thinks we are not reliant on certain players.

If we had players ready to step into each position I would have been extremely pissed off. But we don't. That is why we lost. We are one or two injuries away from being in trouble. But one or two players coming in from looking good.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Always enjoy the FA cup & would have liked to have had a run (3rd round prem side ,which is what I would class as a run these days) and having seen the next round draw looked more favourable in making it to round 3.

Anyway a large portion of fans have got what they wanted & a 1st round exit, should mean we are guaranteed automatic promotion now.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I don't mind being knocked out of the FA Cup, but for f**ks sake, at least make it a later round and against more, shall we say, illustrious opposition. I mean bloody Northampton? And last year Worcester? Come on! How can anyone be happy with that stigma? In future, teams will be looking for us to be drawn against in any cup competition and will be smirking to themselves because we will always be considered easy meat in a cup comp. If we had progressed and reached the 3rd or even 4th round and been knocked out by a higher league team, then that would be acceptable but this is really hard to swallow. I am gutted!! :mad:

skybluesam66

I don't mind being knocked out of the FA Cup, but for f**ks sake, at least make it a later round and against more, shall we say, illustrious opposition. I mean bloody Northampton? And last year Worcester? Come on! How can anyone be happy with that stigma? In future, teams will be looking for us to be drawn against in any cup competition and will be smirking to themselves because we will always be considered easy meat in a cup comp. If we had progressed and reached the 3rd or even 4th round and been knocked out by a higher league team, then that would be acceptable but this is really hard to swallow. I am gutted!! :mad:

Thats why we need promotion - will get us at least to Round 3

Users who are viewing this thread