Godiva (2 Viewers)

bringbackrattles

I've put the music on loud and I hope the nob head starts on me. He's got no chance and he knows it, but if you don't hear from me again fuck it !

W

westcountry_skyblue

I find Hate to say I told you so by The Hives quite nice at a few decibels if that helps?

Otis

A little bit of a funny story to tell re the Godiva yesterday.

My mum went by herself, but had arranged to meet us there. She is 86. She arranged to meet us at 4.30, but she got there far to early (4 pm) and we just got stuck in the line of traffic, so I took us about an extra 30 mins from the ring road to the Memorial and we didn't arrive til 5.

Anyway, she had a wander around, looked at the boards and who was in which tents and the line-ups and she saw that 'Allstars' were performing in the rhythm tent (or so she thought). It was in fact EZ-Allstars, a rap/drum and bass group. My daughter is with Allstars drama group in Coventry and they do sometimes sing at the Godiva, but it's usually songs from the shows. My mum loves Allstars.

So, she headed into the rhythm tent, which was blazing out drum and bass and rap and she watched what she thought were 'Allstars.' She then rang me and said they were very, very loud and didn't recognise them at all and it was mainly black people.

Still can't get that picture out of my mind of a little 86 year old lady standing in the booming, bassy rhythm tent watching a drum and bass band, believing that any second they were going to break out into 'the sun will come out tomorrow.'

:D

eastwoodsdustman

Went to see the Charlatans last night. Plenty of their back catalogue and a few off the last album for good measure. They were very very good.
Anyone see the bbomtown rats on friday? I was told that sir bob was being a bit of a prick.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Went to see the Charlatans last night. Plenty of their back catalogue and a few off the last album for good measure. They were very very good.
Anyone see the bbomtown rats on friday? I was told that sir bob was being a bit of a prick.

I was there last night, well most of the day, but didn't bother Friday. One, because of the weather (only went dry after I'd decided not to bother), but also because I guess Bob would start preaching to the crowd.

Did regret not going as the comedy tent was there Friday with some known faces in there.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
A little bit of a funny story to tell re the Godiva yesterday.

My mum went by herself, but had arranged to meet us there. She is 86. She arranged to meet us at 4.30, but she got there far to early (4 pm) and we just got stuck in the line of traffic, so I took us about an extra 30 mins from the ring road to the Memorial and we didn't arrive til 5.

Anyway, she had a wander around, looked at the boards and who was in which tents and the line-ups and she saw that 'Allstars' were performing in the rhythm tent (or so she thought). It was in fact EZ-Allstars, a rap/drum and bass group. My daughter is with Allstars drama group in Coventry and they do sometimes sing at the Godiva, but it's usually songs from the shows. My mum loves Allstars.

So, she headed into the rhythm tent, which was blazing out drum and bass and rap and she watched what she thought were 'Allstars.' She then rang me and said they were very, very loud and didn't recognise them at all and it was mainly black people.

Still can't get that picture out of my mind of a little 86 year old lady standing in the booming, bassy rhythm tent watching a drum and bass band, believing that any second they were going to break out into 'the sun will come out tomorrow.'

:D

Ha, bless Your mum! Does make a cracking story though :D

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Wish I had wellies yesterday, even if just to wear to use the toilets! Whoever thought up the idea of those 'urinals' clearly didn't think it through properly. Always wanted to walk through other people piss before getting to have one of my own! :mad:

Otis

Ha, bless Your mum! Does make a cracking story though :D
She is always getting confused and never reads things through properly, only focusing on certain words and forming an informed conclusion based on that.

They would only have to mention on TV that a horse was running in the Coventry Stakes for her to think a new restaurant had just opened in town.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I tried to explain Facebook to my mum
Basically I told her type in the name of someone you know in the search sectionand it will find them if they are on Facebook
My mum typed "my sister Mary" into the search section
Like Facebook would know just by that, bless her

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Didn't get to see as much today as I wanted. 1 HR 20 from tile hill to parking up was frustrating. Wish I'd just parked on a side street as seems the parking restrictions are only Monday to Friday.

Meant I missed pigeon detectives who I think should have been the last but one band anyway, being more 'known', and I wanted to see them (so probably more selfish reasons than anything :D).

Thought scouting for girls would have been on for more than an hour, as there seemed a lot of pauses between songs. Did something happen after the first one? As I noticed a plug / praise for the St. John's ambulance?

Johnnythespider

Didn't get to see as much today as I wanted. 1 HR 20 from tile hill to parking up was frustrating. Wish I'd just parked on a side street as seems the parking restrictions are only Monday to Friday.

Meant I missed pigeon detectives who I think should have been the last but one band anyway, being more 'known', and I wanted to see them (so probably more selfish reasons than anything :D).

Thought scouting for girls would have been on for more than an hour, as there seemed a lot of pauses between songs. Did something happen after the first one? As I noticed a plug / praise for the St. John's ambulance?
Yeah, it took us an hour to get from the ring road to the memorial park. Don't think the shared space outside the train station coped very well with the traffic. Just to rub salt in the pigeon detectives were pretty good but we left before scouting for girls as I didn't fancy another hour getting out.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

LastGarrison

When Saturday and Sunday and had a cracking weekend!

Charlatan's were spot on and have to say the Pigeon Detectives were very good as well.

Will be a real, real shame if it is not on next year. Just make it £5 for adults, £3 for kids pretty sure most people would happily pay that.

clint van damme

Charlatan's were spot on and have to say the Pigeon Detectives were very good as well.

Will be a real, real shame if it is not on next year. Just make it £5 for adults, £3 for kids pretty sure most people would happily pay that.

Would happily pay myself. If we want our city to lose it's fairly appalling reputation then is essential we put on events like this.

Covstu

I would agree I would be happy to pay a fiver and kids go free but it might reduce crowds or maybe 20 for a weekend ticket for the family. Shame ccfc didn't have anything there, another event that those friggin insects dominated.

Top weekend again but a nightmare to get out of the car park on the Sunday!

Otis

I don't think charging will bring the numbers down too much.

You only have to charge to go in the main field, the rest of it would be free, so you would still have the community tents and craft stalls, and funfair and small pocket stages etc.

Less people would go in the main music field, but I think more would then do the other bits.

Captain Dart

£2 for adults and £1 for kids, would cover 75% of costs, same as a bus fare.

armybike

Are they warning it might not be on next year?

Decision to be made by next week apparently.

Taking into account the City of Culture bid I personally think it would be totally the wrong time to pull the plug on it.

Captain Dart

Taking into account the City of Culture bid I personally think it would be totally the wrong time to pull the plug on it.

Especially considering the Council allocated £250K to fund 'initial bid work' and....
Hull spent £13.5million to secure the crown – with £3m from council funding. Coventry's council cabinet has agreed to commit £250,000 to fund initial bid work.
Is it worth it?

Otis

So who would you like to see next year? Realistic suggestions only of course. ;)

Bands/artists that might just come to the Godiva.

Off the top of my head, Polyphonic Spree, Squeeze, Mott the Hoople, Ed Harcourt, Clearlake, the Bees.

ajsccfc

Yeah, they were pushing that bid quite hard over the weekend so it'd be the weirdest decision to cancel it now. Sell off the naming rights or apply a small entrance fee if they need to, but it's one of the few things the city does right.

clint van damme

Yeah, they were pushing that bid quite hard over the weekend so it'd be the weirdest decision to cancel it now. Sell off the naming rights or apply a small entrance fee if they need to, but it's one of the few things the city does right.

Agree . Several bands/performers have commented over the years about what a good festival it is and how they can't believe it's free.

I personally met people from Somerset and Bolton who had travelled to Cov specifically to attend this year.

I am the council biggest critic but it's definitely something they get right.

Johnnythespider

Agree . Several bands/performers have commented over the years about what a good festival it is and how they can't believe it's free.

I personally met people from Somerset and Bolton who had travelled to Cov specifically to attend this year.

I am the council biggest critic but it's definitely something they get right.
Yep you hear all sorts of accents while you're there, I don't know if it is just me but it seems to get busier every year and surely is worth doing just for the boost to the local economy.

Otis

Yep. Just that and the City of Rugby and that's about it.

Otis

Yep you hear all sorts of accents while you're there, I don't know if it is just me but it seems to get busier every year and surely is worth doing just for the boost to the local economy.

Broke attendance records this year.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
So who would you like to see next year? Realistic suggestions only of course. ;)

Bands/artists that might just come to the Godiva.

Off the top of my head, Polyphonic Spree, Squeeze, Mott the Hoople, Ed Harcourt, Clearlake, the Bees.

I liked some of the lesser known artists from last year;Meadowlark & Spector

This year I though Ekkah were good.

Not sure who I'd like to see as a main act though

Users who are viewing this thread