Goals - where will they come from? (1 Viewer)

mark82

For comparison, conceded 10 in those games. That isn't too bad (considering 3 tonight so far). The problem definitely seems to be scoring.

Saddlebrains

9 games since December 8th. In those 9 games we've scored 4 goals. Those 4 goals came in 2 matches. 7 out of 9 matches where we haven't scored. That will get you relegated. We're in big trouble if that continues.

I mentioned this on a thread a few weeks back and a few people were saying i was being dramatic.

But i agree, we need to find a way around it. Its going to send us down if we carry on

junglej13

James looks a decent player but I fear if we don't get an attacking midfielder in by the end of the month we are in deep trouble. If we labour through with O'Hare and Shipley supporting a single striker I think we will go down.

eastwoodsdustman

Today was the right game to play 2 strikers. They play a high press in numbers so we could have gone longer from defence. Instead we still try and play from the back and give them 3 goals and a ourselves a red card.

cc84cov

I think we have to revert to 2 up top. We looked more threatening when doing this about 6 weeks ago.
We’ve gotta go 2 up but he won’t we will dominate possession and lose 1-0 to AJ error as we don’t go direct as we don’t have an outlet striker just waiting and see

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Start of season scored a few but leaky at the back. Sorted that out but much less of an attacking force, compounded massively by losing two main strikers.

Worry today is the defensive slips are working their way back in and we don't want to be playing in a way that sees us not looking like scoring with an isolated lone striker but looking vulnerable at the back. Trying to take solace in the fact we had 3 or 4 very good chances so they're still being created, but lose it almost immediately when I think we've been missing them all season and it doesn't look likely to change at the mo.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We were never free scorers, not since we left league 2.

We have been scuffing chances for the third season now but it is only starting to display as a visible problem.

When you have O'Hare and Shipley as your two attacking players behind the striker you are absolutely fucked.

clint van damme

there are 8 teams in this league who have scored less.
There's only one who's conceded more.

AFCCOVENTRY

Don’t worry we will see goals... they will come from the opposition as we pass the ball to them around our own box.

clint van damme

O'Hare should have 10 by himself.

I genuinely believe, once he gets one, he'll flourish. It's just when that one comes 🙄

I think he is already flourishing, (I appreciate your point is in relation to goals), at the start of last season he was a Villa reserve player, he's now making a name of himself in the Championship, hence why he's one of the most fouled players in the league.

cc84cov

I think he is already flourishing, (I appreciate your point is in relation to goals), at the start of last season he was a Villa reserve player, he's now making a name of himself in the Championship, hence why he's one of the most fouled players in the league.
He’s playing for a league 1 side in the championship

mark82

there are 8 teams in this league who have scored less.
There's only one who's conceded more.

Both due to the few games at the start of the season. If you look more recently the issue is scoring rather than conceding.

This is last 8 in the league:

Screenshot_20210119-204642_Chrome.jpg

Last 8 in the league, no-one has scored less. 12 have conceded more, with an additional 4 conceded the same. Only 7 have conceded less. Would've looked even better before tonight.

clint van damme

Both due to the few games at the start of the season. If you look more recently the issue is scoring rather than conceding.

This is last 8 in the league:

View attachment 18303

Last 8 in the league, no-one has scored less. 12 have conceded more, with an additional 4 conceded the same. Only 7 have conceded less. Would've looked even better before tonight.

and we're 17th in that table.

mark82

and we're 17th in that table.

Right, but ignoring the issues will end in us dropping down said table. It's fixable, either going 2 up front or having AM's play a bit higher/get beyond the striker (maybe need a bit of shooting practice too - O'Hare in particular). I'd like to see Bapaga given a go personally.

Positive - thought Gyökeres looked good. A bit isolated at times but think he'll be an asset.

ccfc92

He's definitely got the quality on the ball, it's just the end product that's holding him back.

Obviously when he finds that, he'll be a much more desirable player to top championship clubs.

We were lucky to get him, but hopefully he can do us some good.

ccfc1234

9 games since December 8th. In those 9 games we've scored 4 goals. Those 4 goals came in 2 matches. 7 out of 9 matches where we haven't scored. That will get you relegated. We're in big trouble if that continues.
While are forwards are not perfect we literally set them up to fail. Last season we won so many games by the odd goal and this season, Robins go to formation for nicking games is not working as well.

At 55mins I was thinking surely Robins will to go two up top, were 2-0 down. Instead it was a like for like change and Max became exactly as isolated as the new lad. As much as I love Robins and am NOT in any way wishing for him to come under pressure. It was criminally poor management and nothing at all changed.
We need partnerships all over the pitch and Max and Bapaga (for the again woefully inadequate shippers) would have given their defence a new challange as opposed to no challenge. The whole top area of the pitch is a disaster zone currently and given Robins was a forward is just hard to fathom.
Sorry for the rant but I am fuming at the sheer lack of ambition shown when we were 0-2. The definition of madness is doing the same things and expecting a different result and right now we are doing the same stuff every week and the net result is no goals.
Wilson was and is a poor keeper and needs to be replaced asap.
McFaz will be a miss but hopefully will be the catalyst that forces Robins to consider two up top.

Barnsley

Goals are the one thing that separates the have’s and have nots in this division. we’ve only scored one goal in 8 games against the top 6 sides. The better team’s have that quality to score goals, which is the reason they’re the better teams, it comes at a price we can’t afford, hard work and good organisation only takes you so far, money takes you to the next level.

what I’m watching at the moment just emphasises what I’m saying.
we’ll not score tonight if we play until midnight.

Users who are viewing this thread