Goals from midfield (1 Viewer)

Gosb

I think I'm right in saying that only JOB, of our regular midfielders, scored last season. The other goals from midfield came from Odelusi, Maddison & Turgott. So there's an area that's ripe for improvement.

kg82

Swanson too I think. But definitely the biggest area we need to improve is midfield as an attacking threat.

Ian1779

Considering the season before we must have got in excess of 20 goals from midfield... it made a big difference this year.

stupot07

Swanson too I think. But definitely the biggest area we need to improve is midfield as an attacking threat.

No Swanson never score for us:

Regular midfielders:
JOB 6 goals 48 games
Fleck 0 goals 48 games
Thomas 0 goals 19 games
Ward 0 goals 11 games
Barton 0 goals 30 games
Swanson 0 goals 18 games

Absolutely pathetic.

We cannot go back into next season with Thomas, fleck and Barton in our midfield, if we have any ambition next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

kg82

No Swanson never score for us:

Regular midfielders:
JOB 6 goals 48 games
Fleck 0 goals 48 games
Thomas 0 goals 19 games
Ward 0 goals 11 games
Barton 0 goals 30 games
Swanson 0 goals 18 games

Absolutely pathetic.

We cannot go back into next season with Thomas, fleck and Barton in our midfield, if we have any ambition next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Is that league games. Could've sworn I actually saw Swanson score for us. Might've been in one of the cups though?

PTA

Is that league games. Could've sworn I actually saw Swanson score for us. Might've been in one of the cups though?
Scored against Bristol Rovers in a friendly, if that counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

CJ_covblaze

It was a goal though!!!!!! And it makes him better than the rest of the midfield besides o brien.

It was a bloody good goal too. 20 yard screamer into the top corner.

Paddy9239

I'd like to see more goals from midfield, but it isn't the be all and end all. Look at Chelsea, Fabregas, Matic and Ramires won't have scored many but they provide a base for Hazard, William, Oscar etc. Would love to see Fleck and Ward providing that base with some proper goal scoring wingers and decent strikers!

stupot07

From soccerbase all games.

stupot07

I'd like to see more goals from midfield, but it isn't the be all and end all. Look at Chelsea, Fabregas, Matic and Ramires won't have scored many but they provide a base for Hazard, William, Oscar etc. Would love to see Fleck and Ward providing that base with some proper goal scoring wingers and decent strikers!

Ward won't be here next season. And it's not good enough to have 2 players in the middle of the park who neither score or regularly assist (and I like ward). You point to Chelsea but all 3 of those players has scored league goals and assisted this season, fabregas is the leading assist maker (17 assists) as well as chipping in with 4 goals, plus oscar played a fair few games in midfield and scored and assisted a few. Cotterill made a big thing of wanting goals thoughout the Bristol City side so they didn't become reliant on 1-2 players to constantly score. We were reliant on Samuels, as soon he got injured the goals dried up.

Last edited:

Paddy9239

My first point was that I'd like more goals from midfield, zero is poor but Fleck says he wants to score more. I know Ward isn't staying, but for example, those 2 despite not scoring many goals have the ability to dictate games, and make the rest of the team tick. I think in (hopefully) a Mowbray team next year, 2 players like that at the base of a midfield would be integral. And FYI Bristol City's two excellent holding midfield players scored 2 goals between them last season (Marlon Pack and Korey Smith) And one of Pack's was against us and an absolute gift.

I personally think O'Briens 6 given the more advanced role is poor. And the strikers have been the real issue this year.

Really dont understand the hatred of Fleck, think he is our most technically gifted player bar maybe Maddison.

Otis

My first point was that I'd like more goals from midfield, zero is poor but Fleck says he wants to score more. I know Ward isn't staying, but for example, those 2 despite not scoring many goals have the ability to dictate games, and make the rest of the team tick. I think in (hopefully) a Mowbray team next year, 2 players like that at the base of a midfield would be integral. And FYI Bristol City's two excellent holding midfield players scored 2 goals between them last season (Marlon Pack and Korey Smith) And one of Pack's was against us and an absolute gift.

I personally think O'Briens 6 given the more advanced role is poor. And the strikers have been the real issue this year.

Really dont understand the hatred of Fleck, think he is our most technically gifted player bar maybe Maddison.

Fleck constantly and consistently disappears out of games. He often starts off like a midfield maestro, pulling the strings and dictating play and then by the 2nd half you're scratching your head and wondering where he's gone and often you've forgotten he is even playing.

Don't think anyone 'hates' him, but I just don't see how he will fit in to a winning side TM says we are trying to build.

stupot07

Bristols midfielders this season ( all competitions)
Smith 2 goals
Elliot 2 goals
Wagstaff 2 goals
Freeman 7 goals
Pack 3 goals
Bryan 7 goals
Saville 1 goal

No one is saying they have to be prolific but they have all chipped in this season, where as fleck, ward, barton, Thomas et al haven't. You complain about JOB yet freeman who is seen as one of the best in the league (voted 3rd best at the FL awards) only has 1 more than JOB.

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

Ward won't be here next season. And it's not good enough to have 2 players in the middle of the park who neither score or regularly assist (and I like ward). You point to Chelsea but all 3 of those players has scored league goals and assisted this season, fabregas is the leading assist maker (17 assists) as well as chipping in with 4 goals, plus oscar played a fair few games in midfield and scored and assisted a few. Cotterill made a big thing of wanting goals thoughout the Bristol City side so they didn't become reliant on 1-2 players to constantly score. We were reliant on Samuels, as soon he got injured the goals dried up.

Flint is a typical example of that. He's a centre half and scored 9 more in the league than our highest scoring striker. In fact in just 70 minutes yesterday he scored half the goals that our highest scoring striker has managed in 28 games.

CJ_covblaze

No idea why that quoted you twice Stu!

Astute

Bristols midfielders this season ( all competitions)
Smith 2 goals
Elliot 2 goals
Wagstaff 2 goals
Freeman 7 goals
Pack 3 goals
Bryan 7 goals
Saville 1 goal

No one is saying they have to be prolific but they have all chipped in this season, where as fleck, ward, barton, Thomas et al haven't. You complain about JOB yet freeman who is seen as one of the best in the league (voted 3rd best at the FL awards) only has 1 more than JOB.

That looks like a list of our strikers.

ptr

Our midfielders don't get in the box to support the forwards, can't remember ever seeing fleck darting into the box. Are they not fit enough? Not clever enough? Not confident enough. If we are to have a good season next year we need goals coming from everywhere. Flint a centre back got a hatrick for bristol city the other day!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Our midfielders don't get in the box to support the forwards, can't remember ever seeing fleck darting into the box. Are they not fit enough? Not clever enough? Not confident enough. If we are to have a good season next year we need goals coming from everywhere. Flint a centre back got a hatrick for bristol city the other day!

Pressley drilled it into them, Fleck said when Pressley was manager that he doesn't like them to get ahead of the ball.

Johnnythespider

Pressley drilled it into them, Fleck said when Pressley was manager that he doesn't like them to get ahead of the ball.
No wonder we struggled, the amount of backwards passes our midfield played they would have constantly been trying to get back behind the ball.

Terry Gibson's perm

Fleck plays like he has a rope tied around him that keeps him from going anywhere near the opposition box.

Terry Gibson's perm

At Bristol away he was practically a centre back for half the game.

I guess away it is not so important but at home you have to push on to win the game and he doesn't seem to have another gear to do that

KersleyDigs

Youth players TM rates...

Interesting since he came in, how different his opinion is to SP.

He has bigged up Maddison, G. Thomas, Harries and the Stevenson (or whatever his name is).

SP liked; Madderz, Thomas, Finch, Lawton, Haynes & the KE twins...

PTA

I guess away it is not so important but at home you have to push on to win the game and he doesn't seem to have another gear to do that
I remember when he joined us. He was an attacking midfielder/winger who was tipped by Beckham to be great.
What have we done to him?

Users who are viewing this thread