Match Thread Gillingham Away (1 Viewer)

cc84cov

Don’t get the constant berating of Mason. He started last season as first choice, none of us were saying he should be replaced (quite the opposite as memory serves) and then McCallum broke through. Mason has always done a job when asked, and has made the occasional error (possibly because he is a human being), and now he’s not even good enough as a back up. Apparently.

He didn’t have his best game tonight (in fact I can’t remember him having many worse games) yet he still wasn’t ‘that’ bad. Ok, he bottled a challenge, bollocking behind closed doors (heard that phrase before) and work on it in training.

If people think we’re getting a better second choice left defender than Mason I’d love to know where the money is coming from.
Started last season in a back 4 we then changed that at half time against fleetwood he’s not a wing back

stevefloyd

To be fair...ish to Mason I think his first yellow took him out of that challenge! Probably on his mind if he clattered their player he was off but Thompson had gone to sleep for about the last 15 mins with misplaced passes but Sheaf looked decent along with Drysdale Dabo of course and Eccles being the star for me closely followed by Bapaga who is a young raw talent

Mucca Mad Boys

...even being "small and weak" he should have come away with the ball!

My issue is that he rushed out of position leaving a massive gap behind him. 1-0 up in stoppage time, it's such unnecessarily reckless defending, especially when he wasn't really in a good position to win the ball. He shouldn't have allowed the ball to go into the box.

Rose conceded a stupid penalty to concede because it wasn't obvious the man who beat him would have got the ball, let alone score. He shouldn't have conceded a daft penalty.

On this forum 'we' have a tendency to scapegoat an individual player for goals when it's a team failure.

oscillatewildly

Cant honestly see the point in this cup, other than giving the reserves a run out. With no gate receipts coming in its more cost going out of the club to turn on flood lights and travel to away games. Wolves or stoke will play their reserves next round to, and none of the prem clubs put out decent sides until they get to the semi final anyway.
Hmmm. Not entirely sure you'd have gone to the trouble of this post if we'd have won?

oscillatewildly

Good news is Barnsley will have to play away at Chelsea midweek before they play us, whilst we will have had a whole week's rest. Take the positives.
Good news is Barnsley will have to play away at Chelsea midweek before they play us, whilst we will have had a whole week's rest. Take the positives.
"Positives"? They'll field their reserves and turn out the first team for us!

covcity4life

How frustrating. Mason terrible mistake. Rose no need to pull even if being pulled himself

Missed big chances arghh how do we always seem to claw defeat from victory in cup competitions?

Thought we played well so big picture is still good but I would have liked to see us play a prem team again

oscillatewildly

Also why was rose and Eccles taking a pen before baka???

Could tell rose had missed before he got to the spot
If ever I'd have wagered a bloke missing a spot kick it would have been on a bloke throwing up seconds before taking one.
This wasn't at Prior Deram Walk on a Sunday morning in the early 1990's - it was against England in the 2004 Euro Champs.
Chucked up like a good 'un and then superbly dispatched!

Brighton Sky Blue

My issue is that he rushed out of position leaving a massive gap behind him. 1-0 up in stoppage time, it's such unnecessarily reckless defending, especially when he wasn't really in a good position to win the ball. He shouldn't have allowed the ball to go into the box.

Rose conceded a stupid penalty to concede because it wasn't obvious the man who beat him would have got the ball, let alone score. He shouldn't have conceded a daft penalty.

On this forum 'we' have a tendency to scapegoat an individual player for goals when it's a team failure.

Again we've been under little pressure, missed some glorious chances then allowed the opposition back in with some shithousing at the back. We're doing most things right except for the most important part of the game

stupot07

Again we've been under little pressure, missed some glorious chances then allowed the opposition back in with some shithousing at the back. We're doing most things right except for the most important part of the game
And those things are the difference between winning and losing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Frostie

Don't even want to watch that.

Let me shock you by saying he starts off very positive about us...

Then he reverts to type...

"We took the game to them, they were screaming for time"
Really? Don't think we've ever looked more comfortable.

Baka's was supposedly a "horrendous challenge" & a clear red before saying he should have been sent off again in the 2nd half.

Mr Panda

My biggest takeaway from this game was that when I checked Sky Sports, we had an 'S Dabo' in our lineup.

I had no idea:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-225842_Score Centre.jpg
    Screenshot_20200915-225842_Score Centre.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 18

larry_david

Let me shock you by saying he starts off very positive about us...

Then he reverts to type...

"We took the game to them, they were screaming for time"
Really? Don't think we've ever looked more comfortable.

Baka's was supposedly a "horrendous challenge" & a clear red before saying he should have been sent off again in the 2nd half.
Screaming for time! I mean we were that worried we didn't even make a third sub. And I was that worried I didn't even contemplate looking to see what my bet cash out was.

He's scum, he'll enjoy the victory over Mark but that will be the last time we play him in a while

Liquid Gold

We should have got a result on Saturday and should have won tonight. We've lost both-can't have this being the story of the season.
I agree but I think we'll be alright. Godden is injury free and scoring regularly and I think Walker will be a real asset once he gets up to speed with fitness and the way we play. I think we'll also have more chances against teams with a back 4 that give Allen and O'Hare space to play between the lines. I also see goals from set pieces with Sheaf and Hamer in the team and the hight of Fadz and Ostigard.

We were very unlucky not to score more on Saturday, I agree we can't continue saying we've been unlucky every week but I'm hopeful that we'll be alright.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree but I think we'll be alright. Godden is injury free and scoring regularly and I think Walker will be a real asset once he gets up to speed with fitness and the way we play. I think we'll also have more chances against teams with a back 4 that give Allen and O'Hare space to play between the lines. I also see goals from set pieces with Sheaf and Hamer in the team and the hight of Fadz and Ostigard.

We were very unlucky not to score more on Saturday, I agree we can't continue saying we've been unlucky every week but I'm hopeful that we'll be alright.

I agree with a lot of that, just it’s reminding me of 18/19 already. Which wasn’t a bad season mind

Liquid Gold

I agree with a lot of that, just it’s reminding me of 18/19 already. Which wasn’t a bad season mind
I just trust Godden. He was in immense form pre lockdown and has scored again at the start of this season. 18/19 we were screwed because we ended up having to wait right till the last minute for Chaplin and bought in Hiwula and Baka who were second choice and had Luke Thomas missing absolute sitters. Having Godden here means we already have a first choice striker who knows the system and we know can score goals. We can't rely on him but I think the supporting cast is more capable and well rounded than 18/19. Like you said though, not too bad a season, 8th would be insane.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think we’re going to be a very naive team this season. If we can stay in the Championship this season (which I think we will), we will develop nicely as an outfit. This season, however, we are a very youthful and inexperienced outfit. Despite that, what we have got going for us is that we’ve got a talented team too.

Irrelevant side note: the average age of our team team tonight may be quite close to beating the youngest team we’ve ever put out in a game (21.1 years in 2018-2019).

Gint11

I think we’re going to be a very naive team this season. If we can stay in the Championship this season (which I think we will), we will develop nicely as an outfit. This season, however, we are a very youthful and inexperienced outfit. Despite that, what we have got going for us is that we’ve got a talented team too.

Irrelevant side note: the average age of our team team tonight may be quite close to beating the youngest team we’ve ever put out in a game (21.1 years in 2018-2019).

I still think we’ll be fine but 2 two things are a concern and that is the amount of chances we are not converting. Last night we missed 2 1on1s. Can’t do that in the champ. We need to start making % on chances created although one box is ticked in terms of creating chances.
2nd concern now is a losing streak. We don’t want to turn losing into a habit and if we lose on Friday that’s 3 defeats in a week.

mark82

Thought he was relatively fair in what he said to be fair. Obviously disagree about the Baka challenge being a red, but they will see it that way - their player looks badly injured. He did say that Baka doesn't have a bad bone in his body. Also don't think we were holding on at the end, but we did leave them a chance by not taking our opportunities.

Brighton Sky Blue

We need to be more clinical with our chances so that single defensive errors (which are inevitable) don’t cost us points. That’s basically where we’re at for now

AFCCOVENTRY

We need to be more clinical with our chances so that single defensive errors (which are inevitable) don’t cost us points. That’s basically where we’re at for now

Let us hope this is just game time rustiness from players who haven’t played for 6 months. All 3 goals since the weekend and yesterday were preventable. The misses again, let’s hope Walker’s sharpness comes soon.

Brighton Sky Blue

Let us hope this is just game time rustiness from players who haven’t played for 6 months. All 3 goals since the weekend and yesterday were preventable. The misses again, let’s hope Walker’s sharpness comes soon.

Walker will come good, and the sharpness will follow at some point but it is just reminding me a lot of a few years ago. We are doing the difficult bit but not the easy!

AFCCOVENTRY

Walker will come good, and the sharpness will follow at some point but it is just reminding me a lot of a few years ago. We are doing the difficult bit but not the easy!

Last season we worried about lack of goals but we were brilliant at game management. My only worry is we don’t have enough experienced championship players to play out games in tricky situations. Kelly is our most experienced player but you see that, so annoying he’s injured. Players will need to learn rapidly but I have faith it will all suddenly click and fitness levels will be 100%

Users who are viewing this thread