Ghost of New Years Past (1 Viewer)

Otis

Don't tell Sisu there is an empty stadium going, they'll move us up there!

grego_gee

It was decided to build a new stadium and the end of the Feethams era came on 3 May 2003, when the final match was played. A capacity crowd sawDarlington come back from two goals down to draw 2–2 with Leyton Orient..... !!!!

chiefdave

very interesting that the rugby club sees the stadium as a viable prospect on crowds of less than 1K as they make enough from corporate functions. Would seem to support ACLs argument that they can survive without the size crowds CCFC attracted.

I wonder if at some point there will be a push from the council to move the rugby club to the Ricoh? Don't the council own the Butts Arena, wonder how much that would be worth for redevelopment given it's location. The longer we stay away the greater the chance this sort of seemingly unlikely option might be given some serious consideration.

grego_gee

very interesting that the rugby club sees the stadium as a viable prospect on crowds of less than 1K as they make enough from corporate functions. Would seem to support ACLs argument that they can survive without the size crowds CCFC attracted.

I wonder if at some point there will be a push from the council to move the rugby club to the Ricoh? Don't the council own the Butts Arena, wonder how much that would be worth for redevelopment given it's location. The longer we stay away the greater the chance this sort of seemingly unlikely option might be given some serious consideration.

Do you think SISU would entertain that idea without first securing the freehold?
and we;re told the council don't sell freeholds!........

Astute

Do you think SISU would entertain that idea without first securing the freehold?
and we;re told the council don't sell freeholds!........

The only thing SISUE are securing at the moment is our dislike of them.

Gint11

Another situation like ours that completed stumped me is why the board at the time thought moving to a new stadium quadruple the size was a good idea! I miss Highfield road more than any player we have had.

grego_gee

Another situation like ours that completed stumped me is why the board at the time thought moving to a new stadium quadruple the size was a good idea! I miss Highfield road more than any player we have had.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It just spells out the risks that the owners have to face (alongside their main objective of securing our dislike of them)!

Otis

Personally, I don't miss Highfield Road one little bit and I had been going up there from the late 60's til its demise.

I think the Ricoh is so much better and I find I don't reminisce much at all about HR cos it changed so many times in all the years I was watching (Spion Kop to all seater, to new stands etc.)

It changed several times and on a number of occasions it felt like a new ground. Plus the atmosphere was pretty shit too most of the time.

J

Jack Griffin

George Reynolds, the man who built Darlington's stadium is a convicted criminal...

Reynolds was brought up in the slums of Sunderland and in his early life became involved in crime. His first conviction was for stealing cigarettes, which he traded for food for his family.[2] Another conviction in the 1960s saw him sent to jail for six months smuggling watches.[3] In 1964 he was jailed for four years for safe-cracking, handling explosives, burglary and theft. He was jailed in 1970 for burglary and again in 1976 for theft.[4]

He was arrested on suspicion of money laundering in June 2004 after being stopped with £500,000 of cash in the boot of his car.[10] He later pleaded guilty to charges of tax evasion and was sentenced to three years imprisonment in October 2005. Other charges which he denied, including money laundering, were left on file.[11] Reynolds was released on 6 December 2006 but was electronically tagged and subject to a curfew.[12] He was returned to prison for 2 weeks in April 2007 breaching the terms of his curfew.[

this is not similar to the situation at Coventry.. where the Arena has alternative income streams even though the stadium is presently barely used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashdown1

The Rugby club is fine and rebuilding and happy where they are, they won't move to the Ricoh. City will be back at the Ricoh but it could take some time..............a long time.

chiefdave

The Rugby club is fine and rebuilding and happy where they are, they won't move to the Ricoh. City will be back at the Ricoh but it could take some time..............a long time.

Do the rugby club own the Butts? if they don't they could at some point see some pressure applied to move to an empty Ricoh. Not saying it's something they would want just that the longer things go on the more chance their is that things we think of as being non-starters now will be looked more seriously.

Gint11

Personally, I don't miss Highfield Road one little bit and I had been going up there from the late 60's til its demise.

I think the Ricoh is so much better and I find I don't reminisce much at all about HR cos it changed so many times in all the years I was watching (Spion Kop to all seater, to new stands etc.)

It changed several times and on a number of occasions it felt like a new ground. Plus the atmosphere was pretty shit too most of the time.

Yeah I understand your point of view. I miss the originality of HR though. The history built up there. I know things aren't simple and t was within tight housing but for me, I would have loved seeing HR being expanded etc. The Ricoh is obviously newer, spanking facilities but its just a bowl like every other new ground built really.

Otis

Yeah I understand your point of view. I miss the originality of HR though. The history built up there. I know things aren't simple and t was within tight housing but for me, I would have loved seeing HR being expanded etc. The Ricoh is obviously newer, spanking facilities but its just a bowl like every other new ground built really.

Yep, agree about the history and the proximity to housing and the people of the city. That always gave things a bit more buzz than concrete undepasses and empty waste ground.

grego_gee

One thing I've not seen discussed about the released drawings for the new stadium design is the emphasis put on trying to create atmosphere - keeping the seating close to the pitch, enclosing the roof to the pitch, reducing distance to furthest seats at corners, modular design keeping capacity lower until we need more.
I don't think you could wish for any other measures to give "atmosphere".

percy

One thing I've not seen discussed about the released drawings for the new stadium design is the emphasis put on trying to create atmosphere - keeping the seating close to the pitch, enclosing the roof to the pitch, reducing distance to furthest seats at corners, modular design keeping capacity lower until we need more.
I don't think you could wish for any other measures to give "atmosphere".

our next ground will be very much like the ricoh

chiefdave

Were we that much further from the pitch at the Ricoh than we were at HR? Can't say it's anything I've ever noticed.

Think for a lot of people the rose tinted glasses come in when talking about HR. Don't get me wrong I liked it and it had all the history but the Ricoh is a fantastic stadium, a lot of the problems we've had with it are things that could be resolved with a bit of thought and minimal expenditure.

Users who are viewing this thread