Gerry Baker CCFC 1968-71 R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBazza

http://www.ccfpa.co.uk/?p=9575
View attachment 2593Hannigan,Gibson,Martin,Baker and Carr All Scottish forward line v Chelsea 1968
Brother of joe baker and dad of Lorraine Baker Coventry Godiva harriers and Olympian 1984 in L A
Lived in sutherland ave eastern green during 70's-80's

Yes, RIP.

An aside...it is almost like the boots were a part of the kit isn't it? All leather - & black-boots.??? What's that all about? Lol

James Smith

Too young to have watched him play but RIP Gerry, My thoughts are with his family.

ohitsaidwalker king power

I was lucky enough to work with Gerry at the jag browns lane. Track 2. He was a genial guy, we had many laughs and shared many happy days.
He was always keen to talk sky blues and used to tell us many tales of his sky blue days.
One in particular I recall was when he missed a sitter from under the crossbar.. He ended up in the net.. Sadly the
Ball over the crossbar after a mistimed header!

I wasn't there for the match but the way he told the tale.. After about 3 years working alongside him.. It felt like I was!
Happy days
Rest in peace Gerry old pal.

deanocity3

I was lucky enough to work with Gerry at the jag browns lane. Track 2. He was a genial guy, we had many laughs and shared many happy days.
He was always keen to talk sky blues and used to tell us many tales of his sky blue days.
One in particular I recall was when he missed a sitter from under the crossbar.. He ended up in the net.. Sadly the
Ball over the crossbar after a mistimed header!

I wasn't there for the match but the way he told the tale.. After about 3 years working alongside him.. It felt like I was!
Happy days
Rest in peace Gerry old pal.

He scored my first ever city goal 2-1 home defeat to west ham 1968-69 season

Pete in Portugal

I remember Gerry Baker playing at Highfield Road in a Cup tie against Tranmere in February 1968. In an off the ball incident the diminutive Gerry Baker (5ft 7in) attempted to head-butt the Tranmere centre half - the late Trevor Storton, who was 6ft 1in. Gerry's head barely brushed Storton's chin, who responded by head-butting him back. Poor Gerry was laid out on the pitch for several minutes, before resuming.

RIP Gerry and thanks for the memories.

I remember this match because it was the only time when my Dad came with me. Also watched the replay at Tranmere sitting on a wooden bench in their main stand. We lost 2-0, with a certain George Hudson scoring for Tranmere with a long range screamer.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Wow. This has really saddened me. All those players I grew up with and remember watching from the Spion Kop as a kid and later as an adult from the West End. Bless ya Gerry. Rest in peace mate.

Remember Gerry well - only played 31 games and scored 5 goals for us 1967-1970.

Industrious player good in air despite only 5' 7" - best years at Ipswich

When retired from footy he worked at Jaguar B Lane - featured in inter departmental games with Brian Hill

ohitsaidwalker king power

He scored my first ever city goal 2-1 home defeat to west ham 1968-69 season

I'm pretty sure that was the game he referred to. I'm sure the tale gained a little as the years rolled by.... Tales of how he ended up entangled in the net with the spion kop crowd baying for his head for missing a sitter..!

Pusb

Users who are viewing this thread