German second division yesterday - Fairplay rarely seen (1 Viewer)

CCFC Germany

There was a quite stunning scene in German second division (2. Bundesliga) yesterday -
To put it into place a short overview on the table situation :
Fuerth + Enitracht Frankfurt almost certainly promoted on first + second place, third place would be promotion playoffs and there are just two serious contenders left for that place of the table, FC St. Pauli and my German team, Fortuna Duesseldorf.
Fortuna being on third , one point better than fourth place St. Pauli.

St. Pauli played Union Berlin away yesterday.
It was 1-1 all square in the 81st minute. Fortuna lead FSV Frankfurt 1-0 at home that time when St. Pauli Striker Marius Ebbers scored the potential 2-1 game winner in an important match in the battle for promotion.
But it was a "strange" goal, ref had a bad view on the situation and the linesman did not claim anything as well.
So the ref goes up to the goalscorer and asked him if he played handball and he frankly said "yes I did".
Which is quite stunning as he'd probably come through with it.

Unfortunately for Fortuna Duesseldorf, St. Pauli scored the game winner in extra time, anyway.

Might be a boring story for some of you, but I think it's a story worth telling as such scenes of fairplay are rarely seen in modern pro football, at least over here...

smileycov

Facebook User
I doubt very much that the dressing room would be applauding it if the winner had not arrived!!

Do St Pauli have the skull & Crossbones flags? or is that someone else

rob9872

Reminds me of Di Canio in the PL. It is after all a sport and shouldn't need to be a special case, but so much pressure applied and so much money involved that such decisions are pivotal. In other sports we have seen many examples but even that's changing with eg batsmen refusing to walk or snooker players (like Fu) not calling fouls when they feather one of the balls.

SkyBlue

I doubt very much that the dressing room would be applauding it if the winner had not arrived!!

St Pauli are a very interesting team and well worth a quick google search. Every game has a carnival atmosphere apparently

CCFC Germany

No, it's them.
Even their manager said it was the right thing to do after the match...

smileycov

Facebook User
nice to hear about.....put's our bloody cheats to shame, Mr A Young!!

scroobiustom

With all this talk of Celtic and Rangers moving to the Prem, maybe we should move to the Bundesliga!

Users who are viewing this thread