George Thomas (2 Viewers)

letsallsingtogether

Let the 6 fingered leicestonian go.
If he ain't happy here we don't want him, can always get him back for free in 3 years if he falls flat on his face......

shmmeee

Whilst I fully support having a academy I think the referrals to Wilson and Madison funding it are over stating things.

Surely you have to look at it as cost centres. The value of those players to the academy is their value at the point they signed their first team contract and left the academy not the value when sold after playing, sometimes for years, in the first team. There is cost process and experience put in by the first team that largely gets ignored. To put the "profit" down the academy alone is mis stating things.

So is the academy really as profitable as claimed if you isolate the profit/cost centres properly?

On the other hand. What's the cost of increased recruitment and retention of third party players to fill out the squad if we had no academy players. And the cost of connection to the fans, which is tenuous enough at the minute.

Skyblueweeman

I don't mind him going if we get at least £500k. Just not f&£king Leicester.

Go to Swansea, not those knobs the other end of the 69.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrtrench

I don't mind him going if we get at least £500k.

I mind. He's got great technique and I think he's going to have a career at Championship level. We judge these kids far too early, everyone expects them to be the finished article at 19. No, they don't all make it but I think Thomas would have had a great season had he stayed.

Grendel

I mind. He's got great technique and I think he's going to have a career at Championship level. We judge these kids far too early, everyone expects them to be the finished article at 19. No, they don't all make it but I think Thomas would have had a great season had he stayed.

This I think is the best article on the rule on out of contract players and shows the type of money you can get

Compensation for players under 24

vow

Any more news on whether he's going or not?

Nick

Administrator
Would think he would want something sorted so he could get involved with the pre season stuff with whichever team, tours etc.

SkyBlueScottie

Would think he would want something sorted so he could get involved with the pre season stuff with whichever team, tours etc.
Yep, same here and Robins said the same, he has been at Ryton though, which i thought was a decent move as they could have easily given him more time off due to him playing in the Toulon Tournament, but we got him back in the building in the hope of convincing him to stay.

Hobo

I agree, but the difficulty is getting them to stay. Another season with us would probably be right for his development. But when Premier and Championship clubs can throw silly money at a prospect it makes it difficult to hold on to them. You can't blame players for seizing the opportunity in what can be a short career and a fickle market place.

letsallsingtogether

Wow indeed.
Never have believed if a player isn't happy or feels the grass is greener that he should be kept.
But always feel we do let them go too cheaply set a price add 20 % bargaining margin and stick to it.

Nick

Administrator
Wow indeed.
Never have believed if a player isn't happy or feels the grass is greener that he should be kept.
But always feel we do let them go too cheaply set a price add 20 % bargaining margin and stick to it.

Price is potentially set by somebody else isn't it?

stevefloyd

If he goes he goes, I don't see him playing at the highest level and if we manage to get promoted this season who will remember him?? We have lost far far better players than him in the past!!!

mrtrench

I agree, but the difficulty is getting them to stay. Another season with us would probably be right for his development. But when Premier and Championship clubs can throw silly money at a prospect it makes it difficult to hold on to them. You can't blame players for seizing the opportunity in what can be a short career and a fickle market place.
Agreed, don't blame him in the slightest if he goes; I just object to the posts implying that he's no good. He is good and he will be missed. And the same would be true for Haynes, who similarly hasn't finished developing.

lifeskyblue

Thomas is good prospect and I believe he will eventually find his level in the Championship. If he wants to go he will but I do think his development would be best served with another year with us or a L1 side.
Whatever happens I will remember his superb goal in the checkatrade final; as good a goal as any from the top tier. I will also remember a pretty good second half of the season when he seemed to blossom but equally I will remember thinking at the start of the season that he looked slow, naive and ineffective. I'm glad he proved me wrong then and I wish him well whether he goes or stays.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
On the other hand. What's the cost of increased recruitment and retention of third party players to fill out the squad if we had no academy players. And the cost of connection to the fans, which is tenuous enough at the minute.

fair point, and even with an academy clubs do that also. The fans link is probably heightened because it is the only consistently successful part of the club. But it isn't what I was querying.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Bye Bye George.....

....at least we got to see him play & score for the first team....unlike Sambou, who, to be fair to the lad, is actually progressing well at Everton in their U23's.

ajsccfc

I'm surprised that all the attention seems to be from the top division, but if he decides to go a) who can blame him, b) he scored a belting goal that turned out to be the decider in a Wembley final. Hero forever.

ceetee

Thomas is good prospect and I believe he will eventually find his level in the Championship. If he wants to go he will but I do think his development would be best served with another year with us or a L1 side.
Whatever happens I will remember his superb goal in the checkatrade final; as good a goal as any from the top tier. I will also remember a pretty good second half of the season when he seemed to blossom but equally I will remember thinking at the start of the season that he looked slow, naive and ineffective. I'm glad he proved me wrong then and I wish him well whether he goes or stays.

I agree with all of that.

I was very unimpressed with him early season but he improved considerably
I wasn't over impressed with Callum Wilson on his debut, but again he improved and that's why I thought he could go on to better thiings, which he did
I believe same for Thomas although not so high

So many of our young players are what they are and do not seem to improve themselves. When a player shows that he can learn from coaching and experience you can have some confidence that they go on to better things

letsallsingtogether

Price is potentially set by somebody else isn't it?
Not if you sell them while they are on contract.
That's why they should tie them up earlier you know where you stand then.
Southampton do it all the time

Grendel

Not if you sell them while they are on contract.
That's why they should tie them up earlier you know where you stand then.
Southampton do it all the time

The general consensus was that he wasn't worth a new contract prior to February. If he hadn't had a year left on it Mowbray would probably have released him and he'd have struggled to get a league club.

Users who are viewing this thread