George Hudson (1 Viewer)

Cov kid 55

The ones I quoted are probably the best I've seen. I'm 23 and haven't seen us play in the Prem once! I'm aware I've missed out on legends such as; Regis, Dublin, Huckerby, Houchen, Speedie, Hudson, Quinn etc. ... I may as well say Clarrie Bourton is the best ever!
Well, I hope your time to see new City legends will come before too long. And, although I’ve had the pleasure of seeing just about all of the legends mentioned in this post (but not Clarke Bourton!), i’m an old bastard, and what I wouldn’t give to be 23 again!!

bringbackrattles

My first ever league game was at home to Halifax Town, 6 April, 1963. City won 5-4 and George Hudson scored a hat trick on his debut. No wonder I was hooked! He was a hero, but going back to that era, Bobby Gould was a hero to every young Cov kid, and I also thought that Neil Martin was a very good, intelligent player.
I remember Hudson's debut v Halifax too. In fact remember George Kirby he too scored three times on his debut,and so did Graham Newton on his as well ? We've been blessed with talented strikers !

Mucca Mad Boys

Well, I hope your time to see new City legends will come before too long. And, although I’ve had the pleasure of seeing just about all of the legends mentioned in this post (but not Clarke Bourton!), i’m an old bastard, and what I wouldn’t give to be 23 again!!

I'm not going to complain, I wouldn't have it any other way despite the shit! I'm sure better days will shine on our club someday! Stoke are a club who had a long exile from the Prem and they made it back eventually. Lets hope we can make the playoffs tomorrow, a feat that Cov fans of 2-3 generations are yet to see! Then hopefully we can get back to Wembley and make it 3/3 wins!

thekidfromstrettoncamp

There for Hudson debut the first ball played up to him he brought it down did a faint to go 1 way the marker bought it and he was away (not known of a C F in them days). I remember playing Crewe in a night match .I was in the west end and Hudson was in the box and he just held onto the ball making 2 defenders on the line try and guess which corner of the net he was going to put the ball in.(class act) 296 appearances in 162 goals isn't shabby . Although Terry Bly scoring record 125 goals in 199 appearances was higher ratio The way Hudson played endeared him to everyone who had the privilege to see him ,Himself and Hutch were worth the entrance fee alone just to watch them . Hope everyone who seen play and those were not lucky enough give him a great reception to morrow a true ledgend.

Voice_of_Reason

Legends Day tomorrow. And my favourite ever City player George Hudson will be at the game. Older fans will know all about the "HUD" as he was a goal scoring machine, could score with his head and feet, and was as hard as nails too. We've had some great strikers over the years, But for me George Hudson is my number one and was the complete centre forward.
Who else is their top striker to have worn the sky blue ?
For me Terry Bly (who we signed from Kings Lynn). We signed George Hudson as his replacement and the fans were livid - until Hudson soon dispelled their fears.

stevefloyd

Neil Martin was our centre forward when I first went to see us play... I was about 11 or 12 I think and went on my own on the coach....happy days

Voice_of_Reason

The first and one of the best centre forwards from the days I first started going up to Highfield Road was Eddie Brown - fantastic player who we sold to the Blue Noses.

Gazolba

George Hudson was signed by Jimmy Hill to replace Terry Bly.
Terry Bly was also a goal machine and scored 25 goals in 32 games for us, but Jimmy Hill didn't like him.
After those two, I'd pick Bobby Gould, Ian Wallace and John Aloisi as my favourites.

rupert_bear

Some
For me Terry Bly (who we signed from Kings Lynn). We signed George Hudson as his replacement and the fans were livid - until Hudson soon dispelled their fears.
Signed from Kings Lynn ?? Bly was signed from Peterborough for a record fee of £10000, possibly the biggest name centre forward in division 3 at that time. Scored goals for fun but JH replaced him out of the blue with Hudson also from Peterborough for another record fee of £21500, criticised at the time but proved right, much better player than Bly who was sold to Notts County for £13000 but never the same player.

Calista

Neil Martin was our centre forward when I first went to see us play... I was about 11 or 12 I think and went on my own on the coach....happy days
Neil Martin was a fine player - one of the most underrated forwards we've ever had. Bullet headers from Dave Clements's corners were a speciality, but he could play on the ground too. We could never have stayed in the First Division in those early years without him, and he was a big factor in us getting into Europe.

Irish Sky Blue

Anybody remember Chris Chilton and David Cross ?
David Cross was another good Centre forward. Like Neil Martin, surprisingly skilful for a big man. I was at Everton, first game of the season, when he scored a hat trick and we won 4-1. Chilton came with a big reputation for scoring goals at Hull but, for what ever reason, wasn’t able to do the same here. He didn’t last long either having a career ending injury.

phildownunder

Yep Cross got a hat trick on the last game that season too.
I can still remember the cringeworthy headline in the Pink after the Everton game, "Hot Cross Fun". Makes me wonder if Otis was on the staff at the CET back then.

rupert_bear

David Cross was another good Centre forward. Like Neil Martin, surprisingly skilful for a big man. I was at Everton, first game of the season, when he scored a hat trick and we won 4-1. Chilton came with a big reputation for scoring goals at Hull but, for what ever reason, wasn’t able to do the same here. He didn’t last long either having a career ending injury.
I think I am correct in saying David Cross scored a hat-trick in the first game of the season at Everton, got another hat-trick in the final match that season

oldfiver

I think I am correct in saying David Cross scored a hat-trick in the first game of the season at Everton, got another hat-trick in the final match that season
Do I remember David Cross going through the goalkeeper in the first few minutes of a home game?

One before him is Ray Straw

Voice_of_Reason

Some

Signed from Kings Lynn ?? Bly was signed from Peterborough for a record fee of £10000, possibly the biggest name centre forward in division 3 at that time. Scored goals for fun but JH replaced him out of the blue with Hudson also from Peterborough for another record fee of £21500, criticised at the time but proved right, much better player than Bly who was sold to Notts County for £13000 but never the same player.
Correct - we had just lost to Kings Lyn

Users who are viewing this thread