George Curtis (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

What has happened to George Curtis ? Surprised he wasn't there on Sunday. We never seem to hear about him in recent years.

Captain Dart

Grendel

He has dementia. Quite poorly

Wasn't aware of that. I know he looks very frail but still makes it down the local pub a fair bit.

Captain Dart

Did you see the feature about Stan Bowles on TV early this year, looks OK but doesn't recollect much, still goes down the bookies & pub but has dementia and his daughter looks after him. Age and illness will overtake us all eventually. Now I'm getting depressed.

wingy

Read an article in the football league paper I think on the way down.
Mostly quoting John Sillet.
Didn't realise but he seemed to indicate they fell out professionally in the end.
Shame if true.

duffer

He has dementia. Quite poorly

Ah, sad news if true. I don't know the great man personally but I know his lads to talk to and they've not mentioned it.

Regardless, George was a figure of legend growing up around these parts; unfailingly genial but you always had the sense that he wasn't a man to trifle with. His lads are both terrific blokes too and built very much along the same lines.

oldfiver

Ah, sad news if true. I don't know the great man personally but I know his lads to talk to and they've not mentioned it.

Regardless, George was a figure of legend growing up around these parts; unfailingly genial but you always had the sense that he wasn't a man to trifle with. His lads are both terrific blokes too and built very much along the same lines.

Mick is an ex Cov Rugby Player and his son is another George - also a rugby player

bezzer

One of my abiding memories of George was whilst camping out overnight at Highfield road before the FA Cup Final waiting to buy tickets.
Some kids had decided a game on the hallowed turf would be a good idea. They were turfed off by a couple of stewards but as soon as the stewards disappeared, they were back on again. Big George then came out, had a word with them and they didn't set foot on the pitch again.
George then took the time to come and chat to us foolish souls waiting to spend the night under the stars.....
A lovely lovely man.

oldfiver

One of my abiding memories of George was whilst camping out overnight at Highfield road before the FA Cup Final waiting to buy tickets.
Some kids had decided a game on the hallowed turf would be a good idea. They were turfed off by a couple of stewards but as soon as the stewards disappeared, they were back on again. Big George then came out, had a word with them and they didn't set foot on the pitch again.
George then took the time to come and chat to us foolish souls waiting to spend the night under the stars.....
A lovely lovely man.

A very cold night under the stars!

richnrg

A lovely lovely man.

I seem to remember the steward being about 90 years old. The kids (and ahem, some adults) were playing down one end of the pitch. The steward would then hobble at a snails pace down to that end to tell them off. The kids would then run down the other goal and start again, safe in the knowledge that it would be 15 minutes before they got told off again.

Reactions: vow

duffer

Mick is an ex Cov Rugby Player and his son is another George - also a rugby player

I stand to be corrected but I thought George was his grandson - Mick and Kev are his sons I believe, or at least the ones that I know to say hello to. Mick is very well regarded and much loved by Coventry RFC fans. Kev was a pretty tidy footballer in his day, turned out for CCFC Reserves at least once as I recall. They are both, like their dad, top blokes and the kind of lads that you'd really want on your side rather than having to play against!

(edit, sorry oldfiver, that's probably what you were saying, George is Mick's son. Got it!)

oldfiver

aGRbVg2P.jpg

Mick "the Pig" Curtis and the great man

Users who are viewing this thread