George Best , Just how good was he (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

as the title says , I’m interested to hear peoples opinions here that saw him play .

Sky_Blue_Daz

I never watched George Best play , but my theory is that if he was considered to be one of the best in the world back then surely with the improvements in pitches , lightness of the balls ,lack of tackling and general fitness he would be on a par with any world class player now

lifeskyblue

Skills and vision and finishing ability of a Messi or Ronaldo. I’m sure his failings (drink and womanising) would be even more scrutinised by today’s press but with stricter training/dietary regimes who knows. Without tackles from behind and with carpet pitches throughout the winter I think he would certainly be up there as one of the best handful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I saw Best play every time Man Utd came to Highfield Rd. He really was something special. No more to say really. He was simply the "Best"!

tommydazzle

Great player, had balance and vision. Can't ever remember him just blasting a ball in but always placing it out of the keeper's reach. Brilliant close control and like watching a Rolls Royce amongst cloggers.

tisza

astonishing to think he basically just walked away when he was 26.
seen a lot of video etc. and he really was something very special. nearly as good as Hutch :)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

He was much better than Julian Darby.

Gazolba

I'd put him on about the same level as Ryan Giggs, but you can't really compare him to modern players because the game has changed so much.
When he played, players could abuse their bodies with drink and tobacco and still compete at a high level. You can't do that today.
Also, when he played, the pitches were horrible and hard tackles, which would not be allowed today, were looked at as part of the game.
The fact he never took part in any major tournament means he could not be compared to other top players and was little known outside the UK.

Houchens Head

When he played, players could abuse their bodies with drink and tobacco and still compete at a high level. You can't do that today.
Also, when he played, the pitches were horrible and hard tackles, which would not be allowed today, were looked at as part of the game.
Bloody man's game back then. Not like todays wusses!
Footballer wusses.jpg

Alan Dugdales Moustache

That's James Maddison.

Malaka

I saw him play once when I was about 8. He was every kids hero, we all wanted to be him. There was a buzz every time he got the ball, quality player who would be a world record signing if someone wanted to buy him at todays value. I would rate him as good as Ronaldo at his peak

bringbackrattles

as the title says , I’m interested to hear peoples opinions here that saw him play .
I saw Bestie play us 3 times. Twice at Highfield Road and once at Old Trafford.
He was a great player, one of the best of all time. But strangely he was fairly ordinary against us but that didnt stop the crowd getting excited whenever he got the ball. Without doubt an all time great.

Evo1883

I saw him play once when I was about 8. He was every kids hero, we all wanted to be him. There was a buzz every time he got the ball, quality player who would be a world record signing if someone wanted to buy him at todays value. I would rate him as good as Ronaldo at his peak
Which ronaldo , I used to get that buzz watching Brazilian ronaldo when I was younger

Gazolba

There are plenty of videos of George Best on Youtube.
You can form your own opinion.
Here's one:

Last edited:

olderskyblue

I'd put him on about the same level as Ryan Giggs, but you can't really compare him to modern players because the game has changed so much.
The fact he never took part in any major tournament means he could not be compared to other top players and was little known outside the UK.

You have to be joking. Ryan Giggs?

Best was head and shoulders above him. He was probably the greatest player I have ever seen, and that includes Ronaldo too. No-one could do what he could.

Houchens Head

There are plenty of videos of George Best on Youtube.
You can form your own opinion.
Here's one:

Just watched this and it reminded me just how magnificent Bestie was! He never went down for an easy foul, not like todays cheats, and would just keep going and going. I've always been a Man Utd hater but would always watch when they were on TV, simply to see the sublime skills of George Best. Anyone that doesn't remember him, just watch this short video!

bringbackrattles

There was a winger in Bestie's era called Ian Storey Moore. He was brilliant at Forest and ended up at Man Utd. Best was number one of all time, but Storey Moore wasn't far behind.

Houchens Head

There was a winger in Bestie's era called Ian Storey Moore. He was brilliant at Forest and ended up at Man Utd. Best was number one of all time, but Storey Moore wasn't far behind.
There were some great names from the 60's and 70's that I recall.
Peter Osgood (Chelsea)
Charlie George (Arsenal)
Peter Bonetti (Chelsea)
Mick Mills (Ipswich)
Denis Law (Man Utd)
Billy Bonds (West Ham)
Alan Mullery (Fulham)
There's loads more but I'm going brain dead!

olderskyblue

They have had some good wingers. Willie Morgan, Coppell, Kanchelskis etc

bringbackrattles

The 60's/70's to me was the best era for football and music. Obviously younger people would say their decades are better.
But in the sixties and seventies you had the Beatles, The Kinks, The Small Faces, Troggs, Free, then along came bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Saxon. And as Houch wrote in his list great footballers and teams, and of course the Jimmy Hill era. There are some great bands and players around today, but there was something magical about those decades I mentioned.

olderskyblue

The 60's/70's to me was the best era for football and music. Obviously younger people would say their decades are better.
But in the sixties and seventies you had the Beatles, The Kinks, The Small Faces, Troggs, Free, then along came bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Saxon. And as Houch wrote in his list great footballers and teams, and of course the Jimmy Hill era. There are some great bands and players around today, but there was something magical about those decades I mentioned.

And all the mini skirts...

Gazolba

Kanchelskis. One of my favourite players to watch!
I really liked him. He would get the ball and immediately you could see he had an eye for goal.
He wasn't beautiful to watch but he would jink past defenders like they weren't even there.
And he was just as likely to go for goal as he was to cross it, so defenders had to be wary of both.
My dream team would have Kanchelskis on the right-wing and Marc Overmars on the left.

tigersb

Second only to Pele in my eyes

Users who are viewing this thread