General Election (2 Viewers)

Monners

Bobby Sands MP - allowed to die by Thatcher.

The best recruiting officer the IRA ever had.

Edit: oh yeah, she labelled Mandela a terrorist

Grendel

It's not about Corbyn for you though is it. You were very against the Labour party 2 years ago when he was nowhere near.

From what I can tell you voted for Cameron and Osborn who had a hand in a magazine that said Mandela should be hanged so for you to have a go for at Corbyn for something similar is extremely hypocritical.

I'm sorry to disappoint you old chum but I voted Green and will do so at the forthcoming election as well

Liquid Gold

I'm sorry to disappoint you old chum but I voted Green and will do so at the forthcoming election as well
Fair enough but given the choice of the only two parties likely to gain power it's clear that you wouldn't vote labour and not due to Corbyn. I don't see where the hostility comes from.

rob9872

Labours best chance imo is Hillary Benn but the stupidly powerful unions would never allow it.

rob9872

Bobby Sands MP - allowed to die by Thatcher.

The best recruiting officer the IRA ever had.

Edit: oh yeah, she labelled Mandela a terrorist

If you need to get in touch with Boby Sands, then his number is Nuneaton 80 80 80

(None eaten ate nothing ate nothing ate nothing)

rob9872

The point with Benn is that he's electable. You need tiise wavering Tory voters if Labour are ever to come back.

shmmeee

Labours best chance imo is Hillary Benn but the stupidly powerful unions would never allow it.

Unions have got fuck all to do with it really. They want a Labour government, if Benn looked like providing that they'd get behind him. But he wouldn't really.

I'm not sure we've got the talent at the moment, the supposed big hitters all have a major flaw: Cooper, Umunna, Starmer, Jarvis, Benn all not quite there.

Doesn't really matter anyway, next leader is the Kinnock figure, just going to gain us ground, not win a GE.

shmmeee

Hilary Benn would have some attraction for a few who vote conservative but would have little to no attraction to anybody slightly to the left or the young. He's exactly the sort of careerist self interested politician that people are sick of.

Sadly the young don't vote, so what excites them doesn't really matter.

Labour need someone who plays well to swing voters in Nuneaton, not hippies on Twitter.

shmmeee

I think he'd send a lot of the now Labour voters to the greens. My seat would 100% go green or Lib Dem if he was leader.

I think you massively over estimate the amount of hard left supporters in the UK. Also: left leaning voters going Lib Dem = hilarious.

Liquid Gold

I think you massively over estimate the amount of hard left supporters in the UK. Also: left leaning voters going Lib Dem = hilarious.
But it's not hard left is it. As mentioned before the vast majority of Corbyn's policies are standard social democrat policies that that the public agrees with, it's just the salesmen that they don't like. Benn would manoeuvre the party to the right, leaving no left leaning (not hard left) alternative that just guarantees more conservatism.

Grendel

I think he'd send a lot of the now Labour voters to the greens. My seat would 100% go green or Lib Dem if he was leader.

So young left wingers would vote for a party that willingly spread its legs for a few ministerial positions in the last conservative government.

Confirms my view that most of them are fucking stupid.

Grendel

But it's not hard left is it. As mentioned before the vast majority of Corbyn's policies are standard social democrat policies that that the public agrees with, it's just the salesmen that they don't like. Benn would manoeuvre the party to the right, leaving no left leaning (not hard left) alternative that just guarantees more conservatism.

What policies of Corbyn do the country agree with?

Do you have any evidence?

Ian1779

Sadly the young don't vote, so what excites them doesn't really matter.

Labour need someone who plays well to swing voters in Nuneaton, not hippies on Twitter.

Unless you can convince the hippies to vote.

Grendel

Unions have got fuck all to do with it really. They want a Labour government, if Benn looked like providing that they'd get behind him. But he wouldn't really.

I'm not sure we've got the talent at the moment, the supposed big hitters all have a major flaw: Cooper, Umunna, Starmer, Jarvis, Benn all not quite there.

Doesn't really matter anyway, next leader is the Kinnock figure, just going to gain us ground, not win a GE.

The only reason that labour aren't in power is the dimwit Mclcusky chose one Milliband when everyone with an ounce of intelligence wanted the other. The Marxist from Jurassic Park can ponder that one when he takes his substantial retirement pay cheque.

Brighton Sky Blue

If you've done some research what do you think of Mr Corbyn and his editorial role in the magazine that said "what's do you call 4 dead tories - a start?"

What do you think about Mr McDonnell and his comments on Bobby sands?

Are you really comfortable with the decision regarding Ken Livingston and his one year suspension? Don't you think the internal investigation was a whitewash? Seriously?

Are you not somewhat puzzled as to why Mr Corbyn voted for the Conservative Party against his own party nearly 500 times?

Are you comfortable with the fact Mr Corbyn has voted to leave the EU whenever he's had the opportunity yet now (snigger) is pro Europe.

Show me the evidence of that and I will comment on it. What I will say on Northern Ireland is that for the peace process to come about we had to have Sinn Fein at the table. Corbyn kept open the dialogue and eventually when others came around to the idea we made a breakthrough. On McDonnell's Bobby Sands comments-his point was technically true, namely that the IRA's violence did force the UK government to the negotiating table. That is *not* the same as condoning the violence, and he has constantly come out against that.

Criticism of the actions of the Israeli state, which is lead by a man who threatened war with New Zealand of all places for criticising their illegal settlements in the West Bank, does not make one an anti-Semite. Livingstone hasn't been let off the hook, and he won't be standing as a Labour candidate for the foreseeable future. Israel has committed horrendous crimes against the Palestinian people, as well as other illegal acts, and it has also been on the end of Hamas attacks itself. It's an issue which always gets people heated and the term anti-Semite gets used a lot when it isn't warranted. Show me comments against the Jewish people and I will be the first to criticise them.

Corbyn voted against his own party because he didn't agree with whatever his party was proposing at the time, I don't see what is so outrageous about that. I note he was one of few to vote against Tony Blair's Iraqi arse licking of Bush and Cheney, which is ironic for someone who is meant to represent such a grave threat to our security. On the EU, he made the argument that a Tory Brexit would be worse for the country than staying. You can argue against that position, but I can accept that is what he believed and in the end Labour got a higher % of remain votes than the SNP or the Tories who had the PM canvassing for them. If he was trying to sabotage the Remain vote, he didn't do a great job.

Also G, have you not heard of paragraphs?

Grendel

As a young person who has voted in every election and referendum I have been eligible to, comments like that are so God damn frustrating. Of course, the generation before has done such a smashing job of running affairs over the years...

Don't be so patronising. Do some actual research yourself.

Evaluate what a Corbyn led government would do in terms of the economy. How it would be viewed on the global markets. How the currency would stand with his rabble in power.

Your not saying young people anyway. You are saying intelligent people.

Stupid people are easily led by the media.

Frankly I'm embarrassed as to how stupid and ignorant you are coming across on here.

Liquid Gold

The Huffington Post. It's all over - it's Jeremy at number 10
So reductive. Nobody is saying Jeremy is going to win the election, quite the opposite. We're saying that he isn't some commy trot who's a danger to the country which is what you were suggesting.

I saw a statistic the other day saying that when analysed articles in certain publication accurately reflect the policies of the labour party 0% of the time. I think a bigger danger to democracy is not a man who may have made some mistakes/said some stupid things in the past but a media stacked to mislead the people.

Brighton Sky Blue

Don't be so patronising. Do some actual research yourself.

Evaluate what a Corbyn led government would do in terms of the economy. How it would be viewed on the global markets. How the currency would stand with his rabble in power.

Your not saying young people anyway. You are saying intelligent people.

Stupid people are easily led by the media.

Frankly I'm embarrassed as to how stupid and ignorant you are coming across on here.

Before I answer that, you voted for Natalie Bennett, right? Evaluate what her government would have done in terms of the economy. The only people being patronising here are those who claim that the young never vote and their interests don't count for anything. All the while, generations before us have overseen global economic disaster, the rise of jihadism through pointless interventions, and now see fit to lead us out of the EU without a plan. Fittingly, they got a free university education then decided to impose fees on the ones who arrived after.

What has 7 years of austerity and Tory governance accomplished? Has it wiped the deficit in 5 years, as George promised? Is the union more or less secure? Have they even met their own net immigration targets?

Grendel

Before I answer that, you voted for Natalie Bennett, right? Evaluate what her government would have done in terms of the economy. The only people being patronising here are those who claim that the young never vote and their interests don't count for anything. All the while, generations before us have overseen global economic disaster, the rise of jihadism through pointless interventions, and now see fit to lead us out of the EU without a plan. Fittingly, they got a free university education then decided to impose fees on the ones who arrived after.

What has 7 years of austerity and Tory governance accomplished? Has it wiped the deficit in 5 years, as George promised? Is the union more or less secure? Have they even met their own net immigration targets?

"Fit to lead us out the EU without a plan" - what's Mr Corbyns plan BSB?

Mr Corbyn is of course the most anti EU leader of a party since Michael Foot. You are aware of that I assume? If not use your little Google search and discover the association with a certain Anthony Wedgewood Benn.

Mr Corbyn of course would have a different policy regarding the Middle East given his "friends" and their values in that part of the world.

I'm the end though this is pointless. The British public have demonstrated over countless decades that they are fit and proper to hear the debates and decide in terms of prosperity, wealth, equality and good old fair minded values which party is best to represent the country.

Democracy will speak in June and I am sure all of us acknowledge the power of they and the public will decide the best person to lead the country in a fair and even contest.

Brighton Sky Blue

"Fit to lead us out the EU without a plan" - what's Mr Corbyns plan BSB?

Mr Corbyn is of course the most anti EU leader of a party since Michael Foot. You are aware of that I assume? If not use your little Google search and discover the association with a certain Anthony Wedgewood Benn.

Mr Corbyn of course would have a different policy regarding the Middle East given his "friends" and their values in that part of the world.

I'm the end though this is pointless. The British public have demonstrated over countless decades that they are fit and proper to hear the debates and decide in terms of prosperity, wealth, equality and good old fair minded values which party is best to represent the country.

Democracy will speak in June and I am sure all of us acknowledge the power of they and the public will decide the best person to lead the country in a fair and even contest.

I assume you mean of the Labour Party, not all parties? Europe isn't a sticking point for me. The reasons the likes of Corbyn and Benn opposed the EU were not the same as why your Farages and BoJos opposed it. There are legitimate complaints to be had about the way it operates and the impact of TTIP (though this is now unlikely to go through). Mr Corbyn supports us not giving billions of pounds worth of weapons to the Saudis, is there much wrong with that?

As for the general public-come on. Most people are not political junkies and that is why you have people opposing a man whose policies they like because they haven't looked beyond the media narrative. By contrast, they are impressed by someone with the media on side and who tells lies and exaggerations in an articulate way. This isn't putting anyone down, we have busy lives and delving into the nitty gritty of politics isn't something most have time for. This is not a fair and even contest, let's be clear.

Ian1779

Irrespective of who is in charge of the Labour Party - the Murdoch empire will do everything in its power to keep the Tories in.

Users who are viewing this thread