General Election 2019 thread (17 Viewers)

Grendel

I wouldn't guarantee it. But he must be getting something from it - why the sudden turn around to get a deal he apparently doesn't want? I'm sure there's more to this than we're hearing - he can't have just given up now after all those years.

the turnaround will be his fundraisers will have told him they are withdrawing support - he’s been low key by his standards already

Astute

What “Max”? And yes, money borrowed now leads to growth tomorrow. Does that mean you can borrow forever? No. Only if there’s spare capacity in the economy, which there is right now as we are at ZLB and the banks can’t do any more.

If we leave debt for the next generation, they will leave it for the one after that as long as growth outstrips interest it’ll costs them less than it does us. This is fairly basic economics.
So we won't leave debt for future generations but at least it will be cheaper for them to pay it off?

At least you don't contradict yourself.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well its what his buddy Trump wanted him to do and Trump doesn't do anything that isn't to his own personal advantage. Sure the peerage he was offered to drop out of those seats didn't cross his mind when making the choice.
the turnaround will be his fundraisers will have told him they are withdrawing support - he’s been low key by his standards already
Both good points.

Trump wants us out so he can get all the stuff he wants on the table and there may well be funding issues. As for the peerage it's been said he turned it down BUT I can see that being a long term ruse because it looks dodgy as hell before an election. So I wouldn't be surprised if it gets re-offered and accepted in New Year/Birthday honours after the election when it's too late for people to say "I told you so" and a lot of Brexiteers will be clamouring for it for 'services to Britain' or some such nonsense. After all it finally gets him into parliament and those pesky voters can't stop it.

Grendel

It’s nothing to do with trump he’s a protest movement and protest movements do badly when the protest is being dealt with by a main party.

he’s been messing around trying to stay in the limelight but now the right wing press are against him while an article in the Guardian was healing praise on his slick party. Game up then

Will be interesting to see how many actually stand at all

Liquid Gold

I bet the tactical leave app will be better than the tactical remain one that happens to be run by an ex Lib Dem staffer and coincidentally advises to vote Lib Dem in every seat.

Grendel

shmmeee

It's because we all know that the only way children should be brought up is by a daddy and mummy at home. They never look at the many different circumstances and things that could happen that stop that being the case and just say single parents are assumed to be irresponsible even though many of them are absolutely stoic troopers who put up with more pressures than middle class mums living off hubby could ever imagine and would crumble under the strain.

The benefit system doesn’t even recognise shared parenting. It’s not fit for purpose.

NorthernWisdom

Is that the same Nick Boles that said a vote for Corbyn us a vote for a racist?
It's the same ex Tory MP, and former chief of staff for Johnson, who considers the Prime Minister to be a disgrace who has sold out his party to nationalism, and will destroy the NHS in the blink of an eye.

I assume I missed your condemnation of Johnson the other night, btw.

SkyBlueCharlie9

The morals and ethics of Farage and Boris meant they were always intended to agree an election pact. That's their right I guess.

Corbyn has got to stick to his social principles and vision for the country to emphasise that he is thinking about all types of trade and all types of people. He could easily focus on the Tory's huge weaknesses (protectionism of The Land & Gentry / Corporate Tax Evasion / Off shore bank accounts / getting into bed and getting f***** by Trump. I don't think he will go for that enough though and will stick to his Vision - which is not a bad tactic albeit unlikely to get him near enough to winning.

I feel The Tory's are coming across very smug and over-confident and have done very little to say what they would do. Their campaign to date has focused on old hugely exaggerated and inconsistent stuff about Anti-Semitism/IRA/Communism/Dianne Abbott blah, and their campaign is fundamentally focusing on dissing Corbyn rather than what Bonking Boris will do. I agree with others on here that Tories will now win but unconvincingly as thanks to Farage's tactical genius (!) and his appeal to the extreme rich, the racists/bigots and many unskilled/uneducated people who feel alienated. It gets me how these groups of people bizarrely believe that being in Europe is the root cause of all their ills (including that they are paying way too much tax!).

Ian1779

I think people are overplaying the significance of this Brexit party move.... at this stage at least.

Firstly - the chances of any BXP MP’s have pretty much evaporated. So this couldn’t help Johnson later on form a potential government.

Secondly - A Tory majority assumes that they hold onto all their existing seats and take them off Labour. However moderate Tory voters have now seen their party align (and in their eyes become) a Hard Brexit party. This will make them vulnerable to Lib Dems in those marginal seats, and to the SNP in Scotland. Some Lab/Con marginals that are not in heavy leave areas, areas of high cultural diversity could also be at risk (Northampton North is an example here)

Thirdly - Although it would appear that it could benefit the Tories in current Lab seats (but with big Leave population) will traditional leave voters go to the Brexit party knowing it will deliver another 5 years of Tories and the misery that goes with it? Some will of course - but maybe not as many as people think.

Labour, LD and others need to respond. They should start with simple seats to stand down in to build a common approach and good will. For example - all should stand down in Brighton Pavillion for Lucas, Lab stand down in Richmond for the LD, LD stand down for Lab in Canterbury. Show voters that want the Tories out that you are serious. And then from there it can be built on.

Sky Blue Pete

I think people are overplaying the significance of this Brexit party move.... at this stage at least.

Firstly - the chances of any BXP MP’s have pretty much evaporated. So this couldn’t help Johnson later on form a potential government.

Secondly - A Tory majority assumes that they hold onto all their existing seats and take them off Labour. However moderate Tory voters have now seen their party align (and in their eyes become) a Hard Brexit party. This will make them vulnerable to Lib Dems in those marginal seats, and to the SNP in Scotland. Some Lab/Con marginals that are not in heavy leave areas, areas of high cultural diversity could also be at risk (Northampton North is an example here)

Thirdly - Although it would appear that it could benefit the Tories in current Lab seats (but with big Leave population) will traditional leave voters go to the Brexit party knowing it will deliver another 5 years of Tories and the misery that goes with it? Some will of course - but maybe not as many as people think.

Labour, LD and others need to respond. They should start with simple seats to stand down in to build a common approach and good will. For example - all should stand down in Brighton Pavillion for Lucas, Lab stand down in Richmond for the LD, LD stand down for Lab in Canterbury. Show voters that want the Tories out that you are serious. And then from there it can be built on.
Now or never I think. Jo Swinson is closer to Tory than labour though isn’t she?

chiefdave

What an absolute shambles. Farage claiming Johnson is binning his EU deal and going back to negotiate again.

Also refusing to refund money to candidates he's now blocked from standing. The candidates can't do anything about it as Farage set up a limited company to take the payments.

skybluetony176

Just reading around the various papers and commentators on the Brexit Parties decision today and they’re all pretty much saying the same things. Basically that the Brexit Party is still on course to take two votes of the Tories for every one vote they take of Labour wherever the Brexit Party stands. So basically all they’re going to do is deny the Tories the swing votes they need to take the Labour seats that they’re targeting.

Astute

The Brexit party isn't about sharing government. Now it is all about taking votes away from remain parties where the Tories lost last time but not taking votes away from the Tories where they won.

Astute

Labour raised £1m for the election campaign in a week from members. Average donation £26. Maybe the people do have a voice?
In what way?

And 1m won't go that far these days. Everything will come down to what the message is and how it is put across. We could do without like what Abbott did a couple of days ago when she twisted the truth si it ended up as a lie everyone could see. Good for the voters that will vote Labour whatever. But for those who are undecided it puts more doubts into their minds.

Astute

Now or never I think. Jo Swinson is closer to Tory than labour though isn’t she?
In what way? They are all power hungry. But the Tories want us out and Labour want us to remain although I don't think that is what Corbyn actually wants himself.

Astute

What an absolute shambles. Farage claiming Johnson is binning his EU deal and going back to negotiate again.

Also refusing to refund money to candidates he's now blocked from standing. The candidates can't do anything about it as Farage set up a limited company to take the payments.

Should be done for fraud.

Grendel

Bloke on this morning. Has spent £10K so far and hasn’t even had a call to say he’s no longer standing. Found out off the TV.

I don’t see why he’s spent £10,000 and it seems all were told not to submit any application until the last day which Is Thursday

Grendel

The Coventry south brexit candidate it seems has pulled out as well and obviously that’s a labour stronghold

Grendel

Jo Swinson now seems to have Hilary Clinton as her ally on twitter - good call Jo

skybluetony176

The Brexit party isn't about sharing government. Now it is all about taking votes away from remain parties where the Tories lost last time but not taking votes away from the Tories where they won.
How is the Brexit Party going to take remainer votes?

skybluetony176

Apparently there’s a campaign amongst Brexit Party members and supporters to just spoil their ballot papers rather than vote conservative because Boris’ deal isn’t Brexit. It’s just possible that Ferage has put the final nail in the coffin of Brexit with his attention seeking.

SkyBlueDom26

images

Users who are viewing this thread