General Election 2019 thread (4 Viewers)

tisza

Might be worth doing a bit of research on Scargill, and then decide who was most instrumental in the collapse of the mining industry.

was he there to save an ailing industry and thousands of jobs, or to try to bring a government down? Whichever way you see it, it will be an interesting exercise.
A lot of opinion that he thought he could achieve the same as the 1973 strikes and force a change in govt.

tisza

What changed for the young voters. Some clearly like Corbyn but I didn’t see droves at polling stations. Maybe they saw through the dreamland Corbyn was creating for them?.
Going to be interesting to see actually how many voted and who they voted for.
For a while it seemed there was going to be a swell of young voters who had been particularly vocal about the Brexit issue.
I honestly thought the turnout would be in excess of 70% although the weather may have played its part.

clint van damme

Many voted for Johnson now you clueless twat

What would you do re-open the mines? The war was between an elected government and a Marxist movement led by KGB employed Marxists like Scargill who oddly retained a very affluent lifestyle

There are disturbing similarities to Corbyn and his abuse of Jewish protesters

What absolute nonsense
Theres only one party in cahoots with the Russians and one party open to the introduction of a UK version of the Magnistsky act
And theres o ly one party in an alliance with Orban, an avid antisemite.

I see the right wing media in America are employing the antisemite card against Saunders- who's Jewish!

fatso

Which policies do you think we're "Looney left"?
All the re nationalisation policies were complete looney left bollocks for a start.
How do you renationalise any business that is now owned in part or wholly by foreign investors/ share holders who don’t wish to sell? And where would the money come from to pay for such utter nonsense, especially when the rich and businesses have already been bled to death to prop up the nhs, and policing, and to pump more cash into education, and roads, and infrastructure and the free broadband and hs2 etc etc etc.

Brighton Sky Blue

All the re nationalisation policies were complete looney left bollocks for a start.
How do you renationalise any business that is now owned in part or wholly by foreign investors/ share holders who don’t wish to sell? And where would the money come from to pay for such utter nonsense, especially when the rich and businesses have already been bled to death to prop up the nhs, and policing, and to pump more cash into education, and roads, and infrastructure and the free broadband and hs2 etc etc etc.

In the spirit of ‘One Nation Toryism’ maybe Boris can announce the scrapping of the Londoncentric vanity project otherwise called HS2 and reallocate the funding for local infrastructure projects (but no bridges) across the whole UK.

clint van damme

Nationalisation is not a Looney left policy.

I , and others, have explained the reasons why many times so I'm going to repeat it but if you can be arsed to trawl through the thread you'll see our reasoning.

Rich businesses have not been bled, that is absolute claptrap.

The broadband project was unachievable according to experts They've also said the Tory broadband project is unachievable in the given timescale and HS2 is going ahead whoever is in government.

fatso

In the spirit of ‘One Nation Toryism’ maybe Boris can announce the scrapping of the Londoncentric vanity project otherwise called HS2 and reallocate the funding for local infrastructure projects (but no bridges) across the whole UK.
He might wish to scrap hs2, but unfortunately the contracts have already been signed, so it looks like we are saddled with another expensive white elephant like the millennium dome.

clint van damme

He might wish to scrap hs2, but unfortunately the contracts have already been signed, so it looks like we are saddled with another expensive white elephant like the millennium dome.

They've already cut through a cable and took out power in Balsall common! More of that to come!

Brighton Sky Blue

The report commissioned earlier this year was done as a last chance saloon for cancelling it. A whitewash though. Still, renationalising rail has popular support in this country and could be achieved at no cost at the end of the franchises.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Do you know what I’ve got from reading through this thread? How divisive politics has become in this country and how supporters from both sides have become so extreme.

Tory voters have gone from rich, silver spoon fed selfish oafs to thick, stupid, Brexit voting northerners!

And if you dare to support Labour you are a snowflake leftie who hates their country.

It’s wrong on so many levels and there seems to be no middle ground. I literally didn’t know where my vote was going until about 30 seconds before I put my cross in the box due to agreeing with policies from both sides (and yes it was either Labour or Tory for me) yet that vote seems to pigeon hole me in one extreme or the other.

It really is a toxic environment we live in, in the moment.

Agree with you.

But a quick question - why was it only a choice between Labour and Tory for you? What about other parties/candidates made it totally unpalatable to vote for them. Could be LD Stop Brexit stance? Green's were far too radical/UBI?

As the parties have pulled so far apart from each other over the past few years and the policies have diverged as a result I'm really interested in trying to understand why so many people still see it as being one or t'other.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

After the election I did say one of my hopes was with a massive majority hopefully Alexander could ignore the lunatic fringe element, but thinking back at some of the things the potential new candidates were saying in hustings that were secretly recorded I have to admit it's also a fear that the lunatic fringe may have increased.

Although it's hardly an unbiased source, Anna Sourgrapes has said that many of the new candidates are actually far more to the right ideologically than the moderates who left/got kicked out. People who think the poor are poor because they don't work hard enough and just scrounge while drinking all day.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

20 trees planted per minute 24/7 for the next 10 years or whatever policy was needs to be better thought through. Three headline policies that were quite evidently beyond reach.

I don't get why people can't get this. It's not one person doing it. There will be thousands or employees/volunteers doing it. Chris Packham did a thing the other week about planting trees and someone was showing that in a woodland area it literally takes seconds - spade in the ground, give it a wiggle, pop the whip into the slit (ooer missus) and firm around the edge with your foot to get rid of air pockets. Maybe a bit of a water to settle it in.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If the rich have been 'bled to death' how come they're still rich? And why are those that aren't being forced to use foodbanks?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

His garden bridge was scrapped after millions was spent on it.

Personally I think it'll go ahead, at least as far as Stage 1, which is the bit they want really because it effectively increases the airport capacity of the SE without needing to build new airports/runways.

Otis

This result is the best thing that could happen to labour.
A chance to purge themselves of the loony left extremists and re brand as the real labour party.
Will the Tories purge the looney right's too though? Conservatives also showed the splits they have within their own ranks.

fatso

Will the Tories purge the looney right's too though? Conservatives also showed the splits they have within their own ranks.
That’s already begun, Tory loonies have already been shown the door, Kenneth clarke, Anna Soubry, Chaka Umunna, Luciano Berger, Oliver Letwin, Philip Hammond and David Gauke etc.

Otis

This has got to be worth a look.

That's a bit dumb isn't it? I just don't get anyone who says they will never, ever vote for a party again. Ever?

I don't think I could vote Tory, but things can change and parties evolve and move either left or right, or more to the centre etc.

Things don't remain in stone and look just how much Blair changed Labour back in the 90's.

fatso

That's a bit dumb isn't it? I just don't get anyone who says they will never, ever vote for a party again. Ever?

I don't think I could vote Tory, but things can change and parties evolve and move either left or right, or more to the centre etc.
I agree that you can never say never in politics, after all many have voted Tory for the first time in their lives this week.
And I can say that I may well vote labour in the future, (I have in the past)
But I just couldn’t vote labour under Corbyn.

Otis

I agree that you can never say never in politics, after all many have voted Tory for the first time in their lives this week.
Yeah, I get that.

tisza

That's one of the key points of this election. Never make assumptions about voters.

ccfc92

Imagine actually disabling your Facebook account because Labour lost the election.... :joyful::joyful:

Astute

I think the point was why does this shit not stick to Johnson but it does to Corbyn?

With Corbyn it's "that's terrible!". With Johnson it's "well, that's Boris isn't it".
Just about everyone knows Boris is a twat. Hardly anyone tries to defend Boris. So what else is there to be said about Boris?

But many tried to defend Corbyn. So much more was said.

CCFCSteve

Nationalisation is not a Looney left policy.

I , and others, have explained the reasons why many times so I'm going to repeat it but if you can be arsed to trawl through the thread you'll see our reasoning.

Rich businesses have not been bled, that is absolute claptrap.

The broadband project was unachievable according to experts They've also said the Tory broadband project is unachievable in the given timescale and HS2 is going ahead whoever is in government.

Nationalisation of rail and all utilities, together with free broadband for all and saying only the super rich will pay is ‘hard left’/‘looney left’

So is taking 10% of private limited companies and giving them to employees.

As was the underlying (longer term) threat to abolish all private schools.

There could be positive arguments for each of the above....but you would have to ignore the negatives/ramifications ie tens/hundreds of billions in costs (plus cost of borrowing), negative impact to pension schemes and investment into the UK, cost to public of schooling hundreds of thousands of additional

A lot of the rest of the manifesto would have been well supported (together with possibly a gradual returning of the railways into public hands)

Users who are viewing this thread