General Election 2019 thread (22 Viewers)

fellatio_Martinez

bye bye NHS.

Nah, it'll just mean cheap cadillacs and budweiser baby!

giphy.gif

mark82

The prods aren't ready to let N.Ireland leave "the union" just yet. The place would descend back into car bombings and all kinds of awful shit. Give it at least another 20 years.

Scotland is a different beast however.

I think if Boris gets his Brexit deal through (which he will) then a return to troubles in NI is highly likely. That deal shafts them nearly as much as no deal would have.

CCFCSteve

My only hope domestically (and internationally, to an extent) is that with a relatively big majority, he can sack off the right wingers and revert to 'old' Boris.

His reshuffle will be interesting NW. As many have tried to say, at heart he is relatively liberal (Osborne, who I have little time for, was saying last night that johnson is not a big advocate of small state either) yet others have tried to paint the picture that he’s a hard right, austerity loving politician...this is not the case.

Some post election comments just re-enforce why so many people (across all ‘classes’) voted for the Tories. Lily Allen suggesting that Tory voters were voting for ‘kids to die’ and because they want ‘less brown people’ - look at the latest immigration numbers lily, a lot more ‘brown people’ are coming to the country and Johnson was happy to relax foreign student visas rules. Look at the Tory manifesto and tell me why voting for that is wanting to ‘kids to die’ ? I’d imagine millionaire celebrities telling the public to ‘vote labour’ and ‘fuck Boris’ probably only strengthened people’s resolve in those labour heartlands.

James O’Brien will probably bang on about people ‘liking being lied to’ today....no James but they probably weigh up the ‘lies’. The labour lie of ‘respecting the referendum’ in 2015 and then again in 2017 has lost them their heartlands. In conjunction with the lie that only the super rich would have to pay for the current labour manifesto. Tens of billions of which was uncosted for waspi pension issue, tens, probably hundreds, of billions more for nationalisation and free broadband, let alone the cost of borrowing which would’ve gone through the roof (As I’ve said before the costed stuff was all things I could vote for but it went too far to the ideological left which a majority in this country don’t want)

How about the lie that Corbyn had done everything in his powers to stamp out anti-semitism and bullying in the Labour Party....yet nearly all leaders of the jeweish community, not to mention numerous labour MPs and Peers suggested otherwise?

Many left wing commentators will continue with the same sneering ‘thick working class’ stuff which led to the loss of the referendum and now this election but if labour want to move forward and give us a party and an opposition the public deserve, they could do a lot worse than listen to people like Caroline Flint (see attached)

I also hope they move away from this aggressive/abusive anti Tory, class war stuff as well.

Johnson may well not deliver on various promises but I for one hope he does (even though I’m yet to be totally convinced). If he doesn’t those labour heartlands, with a proper party and leadership to support, will soon return

Attachments

• F4FD3A0F-290D-4D93-AD6C-40BF2D5B851C.png
    F4FD3A0F-290D-4D93-AD6C-40BF2D5B851C.png
    419.8 KB · Views: 16

clint van damme

His reshuffle will be interesting NW. As many have tried to say, at heart he is relatively liberal (Osborne, who I have little time for, was saying last night that johnson is not a big advocate of small state either) yet others have tried to paint the picture that he’s a hard right, austerity loving politician...this is not the case.

Some post election comments just re-enforce why so many people (across all ‘classes’) voted for the Tories. Lily Allen suggesting that Tory voters were voting for ‘kids to die’ and because they want ‘less brown people’ - look at the latest immigration numbers lily, a lot more ‘brown people’ are coming to the country and Johnson was happy to relax foreign student visas rules. Look at the Tory manifesto and tell me why voting for that is wanting to ‘kids to die’ ? I’d imagine millionaire celebrities telling the public to ‘vote labour’ and ‘fuck Boris’ probably only strengthened people’s resolve in those labour heartlands.

James O’Brien will probably bang on about people ‘liking being lied to’ today....no James but they probably weigh up the ‘lies’. The labour lie of ‘respecting the referendum’ in 2015 and then again in 2017 has lost them their heartlands. In conjunction with the lie that only the super rich would have to pay for the current labour manifesto. Tens of billions of which was uncosted for waspi pension issue, tens, probably hundreds, of billions more for nationalisation and free broadband, let alone the cost of borrowing which would’ve gone through the roof (As I’ve said before the costed stuff was all things I could vote for but it went too far to the ideological left which a majority in this country don’t want)

How about the lie that Corbyn had done everything in his powers to stamp out anti-semitism and bullying in the Labour Party....yet nearly all leaders of the jeweish community, not to mention numerous labour MPs and Peers suggested otherwise?

Many left wing commentators will continue with the same sneering ‘thick working class’ stuff which led to the loss of the referendum and now this election but if labour want to move forward and give us a party and an opposition the public deserve, they could do a lot worse than listen to people like Caroline Flint (see attached)

I also hope they move away from this aggressive/abusive anti Tory, class war stuff as well.

Johnson may well not deliver on various promises but I for one hope he does (even though I’m yet to be totally convinced). If he doesn’t those labour heartlands, with a proper party and leadership to support, will soon return

I don't believe Johnson believes in anything other than himself and will adjust his politics to whatever benefits him the most personally.
There is a wealth of evidence to support that, he was unashamedly pro EU, and while I appreciate people can change their minds his about turn doesn't seem to have been a political epiphany more the grasping of a personal opportunity.

CCFCSteve

Ps one massive area of concern is the increased SNP support but let’s just see how things are post the Alex Salmond case in the New year. Also, the fact is that there was no way they would’ve agreed to support Corbyn without another independence referendum during this parliament so again people already blaming the Johnson for the break up of the Union is a little unfair !

mark82

You cannot bring yourself to admit it is a great night for the Tories & Brexit supporters though?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good night for:
- Tories
- The wealthy
- Scottish Independence
- Irish Nationalists

Bad night for:
- Labour
- Lib Dems
- The working class
- Brexit supporters
- Anyone who wants to see the United Kingdom to stay together.

SkyblueBazza

if not capitalising a letter leads to you not understanding a sentence then the struggle is still yours.
But you can see how an error in dropping a capital letter where one clearly belongs can confuse a bit? Or maybe you did it purposely to demonstrate petulant bitterness against the Tories? Perhaps you didn't know it should be a capital 'T'?

I really don't know - but it caused me to miss it, & I apologised. Not sure why you feel the need have a go at me for that, but go ahead...get it off you chest if you need to.

CCFCSteve

I don't believe Johnson believes in anything other than himself and will adjust his politics to whatever benefits him the most personally.
There is a wealth of evidence to support that, he was unashamedly pro EU, and while I appreciate people can change their minds his about turn doesn't seem to have been a political epiphany more the grasping of a personal opportunity.

I don’t disagree that he’s not a huge euro sceptic but that scepticism has always been there (so has support of a close relationship/single market though !)

Nick

Administrator
But you can see how an error in dropping a capital letter where one clearly belongs can confuse a bit? Or maybe you did it purposely to demonstrate petulant bitterness against the Tories? Perhaps you didn't know it should be a capital 'T'?

I really don't know - but it caused me to miss it, & I apologised. Not sure why you feel the need have a go at me for that, but go ahead...get it off you chest if you need to.

A new low to the politics shite on here.

SkyblueBazza

Good night for:
- Tories
- The wealthy
- Scottish Independence
- Irish Nationalists

Bad night for:
- Labour
- Lib Dems
- The working class
- Brexit supporters
That is one slant. Not everyone would agree mind you

Mcbean

Good night for:
- Tories
- The wealthy
- Scottish Independence
- Irish Nationalists

Bad night for:
- Labour
- Lib Dems
- The working class
- Brexit supporters
I agree with all except the working class which includes me - growth in UK has just about come to a halt in the last three years because of no majority - investment had slowed in industry because no one knew what direction to take - I do think that now the start button can be pushed again creating new jobs - the loss is Labour seats is down to a predominantly working class labour voter changing to conservative for their futures - it’s my opinion

clint van damme

I agree with all except the working class which includes me - growth in UK has just about come to a halt in the last three years because of no majority - investment had slowed in industry because no one knew what direction to take - I do think that now the start button can be pushed again creating new jobs - the loss is Labour seats is down to a predominantly working class labour voter changing to conservative for their futures - it’s my opinion

I think Brexit will be a disaster but I agree, the current limbo can't go on.
Even if Brexit is a disaster, we can recover, we can't stay in limbo forever it's too damaging.

Brighton Sky Blue

Once more, maybe your post wasn't clear enough for me at least. I thought you were saying you voted in the last Scottish referendum & would vote for independence if you could (I.e. if there was a new referendum)

Glad we cleared that up.

Insults thrown around because of frustration - which is why they were thrown at you previously.

Anyhow, no hard feelings on my part. Hopefully, the whole of the UK will now pull together & make a bright future for us all.

That is what I was saying. It doesn’t mean that I thought I would be allowed. Sturgeon is delighted with the results and that says all you need to know. Sinn Fein took Belfast North for the first time ever from the unionists. Alliance did the same in North Down and even the DUP admit Johnson’s deal is especially bad for the province.

I have to hope against hope that Johnson will not send support for Irish reunification and Scottish independence through the roof. I also have to hope that Brexit won’t hit the economy too hard so that those in poor areas who voted Tory aren’t punished for trusting them. Then I’m hoping that the Tories won’t do too much damage to the public sector.

But I don’t have much hope for any of those things happening. He is an odious man who has spent most of his life lying and deceiving people. Still I hope I’m massively wrong.

mark82

I'm not sure a Conservative government is ever good for the working class to be honest. Don't think we'll see much in the way of growth until the Brexit issue is sorted and settled - still too much uncertainty.

I really hope I'm wrong about the working class, but time and again austerity under the Tories has hit the working class the hardest. I can't yet believe Johnson will change that. Brexit will also likely be hardest on the working class in the short term - so double risk.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ps one massive area of concern is the increased SNP support but let’s just see how things are post the Alex Salmond case in the New year. Also, the fact is that there was no way they would’ve agreed to support Corbyn without another independence referendum during this parliament so again people already blaming the Johnson for the break up of the Union is a little unfair !

With respect Steve I couldn’t disagree more.

Mcbean

I think Brexit will be a disaster but I agree, the current limbo can't go on.
Even if Brexit is a disaster, we can recover, we can't stay in limbo forever it's too damaging.
Maybe but it’s not a hard Brexit which would be much tougher - there is a deal so business will still flow that is current at the moment

Brighton Sky Blue

I will say one thing and that is I’m glad to be going to watch the City tomorrow. An afternoon at the football and frustrations can go from a Trump tribute act winning power to McFadz ‘doing a Corbyn’ in the box

Mcbean

I'm not sure a Conservative government is ever good for the working class to be honest. Don't think we'll see much in the way of growth until the Brexit issue is sorted and settled - still too much uncertainty.

I really hope I'm wrong about the working class, but time and again austerity under the Tories has hit the working class the hardest. I can't yet believe Johnson will change that. Brexit will also likely be hardest on the working class in the short term - so double risk.
Let’s face it both results could be a risk for the working class but I couldn’t see nationalisation an answer for anything jobs wise and I am a firm believer in entrepreneurs putting private money in to create jobs and keep employment up

clint van damme

Let’s face it both results could be a risk for the working class but I couldn’t see nationalisation an answer for anything jobs wise and I am a firm believer in entrepreneurs putting private money in to create jobs and keep employment up

the East coast main lines most successful period over the last 20 years was when it was taken back in to public ownership, (I think 2009 - 2013 but could be wrong).
We have bailed out its failing franchisees with public money on more than one occasion, the arguments against don't add up.
I don't think everything should be nationalised in the same way I don't think everything should be privatised, but as the example above proves, both can have their place. It's about practicality not ideology.

CCFCSteve

He wasn't until he got into bed with the right wingers to win power.

hence the hope... but also the concern. He's not a principled politician, but hopefully the old habits take precedence over the new allies.

It’s hard to strongly disagree as only time will tell I guess...:but even the principled Corbyn dropped his strong principles on EU....more of a Brexiteer than Johnson but was quite happy to dump on his core support to keep Momentum happy when he had a sniff of power !

Liquid Gold

One silver lining for me is the collapse in the Lib Dem vote. Never forgiven them for 2010 and Swindon’s hubris brought us to this point so her being personally affected by the bloodbath is poetic justice. Also those that thought they could jump ship from party to party missing out is good news, glad we don’t need to hear from the likes of Chukka again.

Johnson can now do whatever he wants, I wonder if this will mean he softens a bit as no longer in tow to the ERG.

Bye bye Scotland though.

tisza

I think a Labour government has to in order to get in power now.
This is where the disconnect between members and voters has been highlighted. Does Corbyn stay around to try and ensure his successor will follow his path?
How damaging will the fight for the future direction of the Labour Party be?

clint van damme

Is this Labour's version of the tory's scare stories about Corbynite policies?

no, it's based on senior American representatives, (including the President), saying in a trade deal the NHS will be up for grabs, (something he later denied).
As well as the facts that several senior Tories have banged the drum for its privatisation and have met with large American pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

Grendel

no, it's based on senior American representatives, (including the President), saying in a trade deal the NHS will be up for grabs, (something he later denied).
As well as the facts that several senior Tories have banged the drum for its privatisation and have met with large American pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

It isn’t it’s just nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread