General Election 2019 thread (6 Viewers)

shmmeee

I agree with you on the principle but on the whole there can be a myriad of reasons for failure to turnout.

To really make the point of dissatisfaction the only way you can truly do so is by having taken the time to go to the polling station to intentional not vote for anyone.

But spoiling your ballot isn't enough - like turnout spoiled ballots can be for a number of reasons rather than deliberate. It needs a "none of the above" option to really get a chance to show disaffection.

It’s not fucking Strictly. If there really is no one you can vote for you should run. This “woe is me” business pisses me off. What people who say this mean is “I’m unable to compromise on my very niche weird political views that I know no one else shares”. It’s not the systems fault you can’t be arsed.

Last edited:

Ricketts

Sultana, the Labour candidate in Coventry South, being a case in point. On Tuesday she was stood outside Willenhall Primary School heckling parents as they left saying the school would close if they didn't vote Labour on Thursday. Imagine someone as honourable as Cunningham doing that.

This candidate has a very murky past, and that she was parachuted in over local candidates is a disgrace.
Is this first hand or social media rumour? If true it shows how low some will sink. They need to be held to account.

fernandopartridge

Sultana, the Labour candidate in Coventry South, being a case in point. On Tuesday she was stood outside Willenhall Primary School heckling parents as they left saying the school would close if they didn't vote Labour on Thursday. Imagine someone as honourable as Cunningham doing that.

This candidate has a very murky past, and that she was parachuted in over local candidates is a disgrace.
Agreed completely, said on threads elsewhere that I find that practice utterly abhorrent. Talk about building disenfranchisement.

Grendel

It’s not fucking Strictly. If there really is no one you can vote for you should run. This “woah is me” business pisses me off. What people who say this mean is “I’m unable to compromise on my very niche weird political views that I know no one else shares”. It’s not the systems fault you can’t be arsed.

Get some help you dribbling lunatic

Brighton Sky Blue

Came from teachers at the school, most of whom will be voting Labour so no reason to make it up or exaggerate. Got a bit confrontational apparently.

Such a shame. Always liked Cunningham, met him once briefly, very decent and principled man.

His questions in Parliament always had an obvious focus on the city and not being made for general point scoring. Had the respect of Tory voters in the constituency without question

clint van damme

I assume its just a #selfie #quirky #BorisWontLetUsHaveDogs but I didn't know if there was an actual reason it was trending

I just took it that people had combined their evening dog walk with nipping out to vote.
One lady was stood outside with the pooch and when her husband came out she joined the queue behind me. Didn't think it was a gimmicky thing but I could be wrong

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It’s not fucking Strictly. If there really is no one you can vote for you should run. This “woe is me” business pisses me off. What people who say this mean is “I’m unable to compromise on my very niche weird political views that I know no one else shares”. It’s not the systems fault you can’t be arsed.
You really are a boring person. You try to intellectualise everything in order to put yourself on a pedestal. You're so far up your own arse it's a wonder you don't disappear.

ccfc92

The internet loves pet pics, the Internet loves voting pics. That’s about it.

Or is it...

giphy.gif

shmmeee

You really are a boring person. You try to intellectualise everything in order to put yourself on a pedestal. You're so far up your own arse it's a wonder you don't disappear.

Whats intellectualising about that? The whole “oh they’re all shit” meme is boring and pointless. “Oh they’re all the same, nothing I do matters”. It’s just lazy. Sorry for believing in active participation in democracy on Election Day.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Whats intellectualising about that? The whole “oh they’re all shit” meme is boring and pointless. “Oh they’re all the same, nothing I do matters”. It’s just lazy. Sorry for believing in active participation in democracy on Election Day.
You mean sorry for being full of self indulgent bullshit.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

At what point did I say this is the option for me? I went into the booth today stuck between two options both of which I found far from ideal, but I still picked one.

More than that, I had spent quite a few days wondering if I should vote for a party I didn't really want to at all just in case it let in another party I didn't want even more. In the end I decided not because otherwise I'm voting because of what I definitely don't want rather than what I actually do want and that is fucking depressing.

People have every right to do so if they wish but all each of those votes does is marginalise the minor parties so the two main parties don't need to ask how good they can or need to be, just don't be as bad as the other lot - that is a poor fucking state of affairs to be in.

What's more, even if someone does decide to run we work on a constituency basis so at most you're going to be appealing to a very small number of people rather than a nationwide audience. Even if by some absolute miracle you got in on a broad manifesto (virtually all independent MP's are returned due to one local issue) what then? They've still only got one vote out of 650 in the commons and not party whips or whatever to drum up support for their proposals. It's like pissing in the sea - no-one will notice and it's already full of shit anyway.

My main issue in this election, and become increasingly so over the last few, is not the policies but the tone of the campaigning. The lies, bullshit, misinformation and bad blood from all sides. How does voting for any of them encourage that to change?

If the Tories win, as is most likely, and given the same tactics got Trump in in the US, all we're going to see is that escalating in future. There might be a party you think have conducted themselves well throughout the campaign but disagree with their policies - what then? Do you vote for them because of the way they presented themselves even though you know you're going to hate what they actually do?

The only way that will change is to have a choice ON THE BALLOT so the public en masse can show their dissatisfaction with the way politics overall is conducting itself. How else can the entire country turn round and say "we're fed up of all your bullshit" and make this shitfest clean up their act?

*rant ends*

theferret

It's hard to know what to believe, I follow people from left and right on twitter but there are whispers suggesting it isn't going well for Labour. Just seen a tweet from journalist saying that Tories will get most votes and seats in Wales. Not sure where this comes from, I guess it's exit polls by the parties themselves. Could be bollocks. I reckon they'll be big regional variations tonight.

ccfc92

Agree, but then we also have fridge hiding, phone taking, I paint buses and put them in crates, Johnson.

Neither are fit to be in government are they?

Not particularly, but I'm just enjoying the circus on social media to be honest.

clint van damme

It's hard to know what to believe, I follow people from left and right on twitter but there are whispers suggesting it isn't going well for Labour. Just seen a tweet from journalist saying that Tories will get most votes and seats in Wales. Not sure where this comes from, I guess it's exit polls by the parties themselves. Could be bollocks. I reckon they'll be big regional variations tonight.

I'm seeing pictures of huge queues with lots of young people in the queues which is apparently go ing the Tories cause for concern

However, a lot of the photos don't state where they were taken. They could already be safe Labour seats.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm seeing pictures of huge queues with lots of young people in the queues which is apparently go ing the Tories cause for concern

However, a lot of the photos don't state where they were taken. They could already be safe Labour seats.

TBH I wouldn't put it past any of the parties (although one in particular springs to mind) in future to 'booth block' - send people in and just take ages filling in the form. Is there any actual stipulated time limit you can spend in the voting booth? Can the polling station officer actually kick you out before you've filled your ballot paper in?

Users who are viewing this thread