General Election 2019 thread (13 Viewers)

bezzer

Our scheme got closed at the end of last year. Had been reduced years ago from what it was. But because of all the previous changes my company were having to put in about 60% of our salaries each year. They are now offering 25 x pension up to 55 and then x 30. I'm leaving mine in until 55 then retiring. But some see a big number and take it out losing all the benefits with it. I have tried explaining to some but not all want to listen.

I was in a Company pension (Defined benefits) with a blue chip company for 16 years. It closed in 2010 and we all reverted to a DC pension. Last month I had a transfer figure from my old company pension and it equated to 43 times my pension pa when I'm 65. It's an eye watering figure £600k+ One positive I can see for transferring is the death benefits. If I die while retaining my DB pension my wife gets 50% of my pension (around £7k pa). If I take the money and put it in a SIPP, she gets the lot, tax free when I pop my clogs. Remaining in the DB scheme guarantees me an income for life with a 2.5% rise yearly.

I'm 55 in a months time so there's quite a bit to consider, especially with the main Parties differing views on the economy and how to move forward.

skybluetony176

You have to ask how anybody would take him at his word in the first place!
When some people hear what they want to hear that’s good enough for them, nothing else to see.

I think the DUP are heading for a backlash over this as well. My cousin was over visiting last week, he’s ex British Army, Ex RUC and of course Protestant and his exact words were he’d rather vote Sinn Fein than DUP. He’s voting for the Alliance Party. First time he hasn’t voted DUP in his life.

richnrg

Whatever the result I do enjoy watching an mp squirm and realise they are off the gravy boat whatever party they represent.
Did you mean Gravy train? (as opposed to
1284003.jpg

SkyblueBazza

Anything for a bit of deflection.
Anything to be a twat.

You really do only see one side good, other side bad don't you?

Maybe loom at the principle of things rather than just swallowing everything Labour says & lies to you. Not suggesting you are either alone in that nor that Tory supporters do precisely the same thing. I reckon that is partly why polls cannot be relied upon. Many of us watch & listen carefully up until the last minute & either go with the way they always have or feel so strongly about a spacific issue(s) they cast their vote differently.

Others I suspect such as yourself simply know how they are going to vote then search everything, & accept their chosen party spin, to justify it in their minds!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

I was talking to someone this morning and said how some of the photos you see from our hospitals at the moment, and its not just that one kid - social media is full of medical professionals sharing similar stories, are the kind of thing you'd expect to see on a fund-raising appeal for a third world country. We're the 6th richest country in the world, how does anyone excuse this or find it acceptable?

Doubt anyone really does find it acceptable. Some will try to defend or excuse it because the support the government under whose watch it happens. Trouble is nobody at a national level really has an answer. Local decision-making influenced by local issues will always bring better results. We have gone into a vicious circle where nobody can get what really needs to be done actually done - because there is too little money channelled in the right direction i.e. to the coal-face, unless it is for specific (worthy) conditions. What gets to the coal-face has so many costly hurdles to jump before it gets there...thus avoiding the real culpability & accountability which probably lies between Minister for Health & Executive Boards of Hospitals/CCGs

ccfc92

Seen a Tory picket sign smashed up in the middle of the road, obviously taken from someone's garden.... bit excessive.

Grendel

It’s the other side of the “I deserve all my money” coin. If the rich are rich because they are special, the poor must be poor because they are deficient.

Right wingers cannot attempt to alleviate poverty because doing so would be admitting the market has failed “worthy” people and open up the idea that not all those it hasn’t failed are worthy either.

Once you view absolutely everything the right does through the lens of keeping super wealthy people am super wealthy and not feeling bad for it everything makes a lot of sense. That’s why anyone voting Tory who isn’t in the millionaire class is just a useful idiot I’m afraid. The Lib Dem’s exist if you want a right wing economic policy that doesn’t exist solely for people far richer than you.

So many words so little substance - you really are the political wing of Sky Blue Kid you dribbling lunatic

Astute

I was in a Company pension (Defined benefits) with a blue chip company for 16 years. It closed in 2010 and we all reverted to a DC pension. Last month I had a transfer figure from my old company pension and it equated to 43 times my pension pa when I'm 65. It's an eye watering figure £600k+ One positive I can see for transferring is the death benefits. If I die while retaining my DB pension my wife gets 50% of my pension (around £7k pa). If I take the money and put it in a SIPP, she gets the lot, tax free when I pop my clogs. Remaining in the DB scheme guarantees me an income for life with a 2.5% rise yearly.

I'm 55 in a months time so there's quite a bit to consider, especially with the main Parties differing views on the economy and how to move forward.
If you take your pot out you will get over £150k tax free. And if you can run the rest of it at a 3% profit that is over 12k a year. The 150k at 10k a year and your profit gives you 27k a year. You then still have nearly half a million to play with. Then when the state pension kicks in it would give you 35k a year. You wouldn't be liable for income tax until you get the state pension. And no NI contributions to pay. So would leave you about 33k. And as you shouldn't need that much your lump sum shouldn't run out.

Your tax free will be much higher taking it out.

I am on something on the same lines. Enough to retire at 55. You just need to make sure you keep the risk spread and low

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Anything to be a twat.

You really do only see one side good, other side bad don't you?

Maybe loom at the principle of things rather than just swallowing everything Labour says & lies to you. Not suggesting you are either alone in that nor that Tory supporters do precisely the same thing. I reckon that is partly why polls cannot be relied upon. Many of us watch & listen carefully up until the last minute & either go with the way they always have or feel so strongly about a spacific issue(s) they cast their vote differently.

Others I suspect such as yourself simply know how they are going to vote then search everything, & accept their chosen party spin, to justify it in their minds!

Here we go again with the Labour fan boy comments directed at someone who’s criticised them and their leader for most of the year. Just yesterday I wrote about being unimpressed by the Labour canvasser who knocked on the door.

Brighton Sky Blue

When some people hear what they want to hear that’s good enough for them, nothing else to see.

I think the DUP are heading for a backlash over this as well. My cousin was over visiting last week, he’s ex British Army, Ex RUC and of course Protestant and his exact words were he’d rather vote Sinn Fein than DUP. He’s voting for the Alliance Party. First time he hasn’t voted DUP in his life.

The latest NI polls show drops for the DUP and SF with rises for SDLP and Alliance in particular.

Brighton Sky Blue

Third Labour leaflet today, compared to zero from any other party. I know I'm in the safest of the seats, but you'd think somebody would at least try in a half-arsed way for my vote.

Labour won mine by 1% but the Tories have sent through nothing. Though it is a Remain constituency I guess.

Astute

They literally have no scruples

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Correct. Not exactly a revelation though is it.

How about a statement on Corbyn saying only those earning more than 80k will pay more tax but he finally admitted that there are people on low wages that will also be paying more tax?

Thought not. Most only seem to want to talk about what we have known for years.

NorthernWisdom

Do people actually pay for the sign to be put in their garden? Or do they get given them for free?
Pretty odd to go the whole hog with a sign in your garden anyway, although Northgate House (council building) in Warwick is always slightly amusing, as their next door neighbour plonks their Lib Dem sign right on the boundary, so it looks like the council are endorsing the Lib Dems!

shmmeee

If I can add a couple of 0s to mine I might be able to retire by the time I'm about 155.

I know I’ll get no pension. Don’t think I’ll make retirement anyway considering my mental and physical health. My main plan involves going back to teaching for a few years at 60 if I’m not dead :D

shmmeee

How about a statement on Corbyn saying only those earning more than 80k will pay more tax but he finally admitted that there are people on low wages that will also be paying more tax?

If you want to be technical (and clearly you do), their tax rate doesn’t change. They just lose a tax break.

stupot07

You mean the marriage tax allowance tax break? Or actual income tax?

At least when we leave Boris can remove vat on tampons, that should please the 50,000 more nurses working in the 40 new hospitals he'd building.

Oh hang on we don't need to dont need to leave to do that, as it already in our control.

Germany scraps ‘luxury’ tampon tax

And 19k of 50k the nurses already exist

And only 6 new hospitals, well actually not all are new some are returns

You could go on, and on, there are more lies than truth in the tory campaign.

I am nowhere near the 80k tax band, and am receiving marriage tax allowance and I would gladly give that up to help properly fund the NHS and other public services.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ccfc92

Pretty odd to go the whole hog with a sign in your garden anyway, although Northgate House (council building) in Warwick is always slightly amusing, as their next door neighbour plonks their Lib Dem sign right on the boundary, so it looks like the council are endorsing the Lib Dems!

Personally, I wouldn't bother even if I was heavily into politics, you're just asking for trouble by displaying signs.

Someone will always vandalise your property, regardless of who you are supporting.

NorthernWisdom

Personally, I wouldn't bother even if I was heavily into politics, you're just asking for trouble by displaying signs.

Someone will always vandalise your property, regardless of who you are supporting.
Yup!

Obviously I can only speak for myself(!) but I get an irrational hatred whenever I see the massive signs plastered all over farmers' fields and the like. It feels like someone's trying to impose their view on me and I know, rationally, it's no different to here(!) but I still have a desire to drive through those signs at high speed!

Grendel

Third Labour leaflet today, compared to zero from any other party. I know I'm in the safest of the seats, but you'd think somebody would at least try in a half-arsed way for my vote.

Odd I’ve had several Tory leaflets

ccfc92

Yup!

Obviously I can only speak for myself(!) but I get an irrational hatred whenever I see the massive signs plastered all over farmers' fields and the like. It feels like someone's trying to impose their view on me and I know, rationally, it's no different to here(!) but I still have a desire to drive through those signs at high speed!

Someone a couple of roads down has a massive 6 x 6 foot Labour sign in their front garden.

NorthernWisdom

Yep. Had nothing through from them though and no sign of campaigning. Clearly trying harder in the Leave seats
W&L has a big chance of swinging though. Was a shock when Matt Western won it last time, was generally seen to be the student vote that swung it, and those students (might) have bogged off home this time.

Whether it's Remain or not, it seems ripe for the picking! Especially as Lib Dems might take some votes off Labour.

Users who are viewing this thread